Why do people still write stories when Joseph Campbell already proved they're all just rehashes of the same...

Why do people still write stories when Joseph Campbell already proved they're all just rehashes of the same prototypical monomyth?

because that's bullshit.

This, and not all stories are even about heroes

He has a circle proving his point. What do you have to counter?

because that applies to a specific, traditional story format, and you don't need to be a genius to know that not all stories follow this format

>story not about heroes

That sounds incredibly boring. Or maybe even just impossible. What's your definition of "hero?" It doesn't have to mean "someone who wears a cape and saves people."

I was taught that shit in 9th grade

I was so mad at all my high school english teachers for ruining reading for so many kids but the bitch from freshman year was BY FAR the worst

Perhaps a square, maybe even a pentagon

ever heard of the Dramatica theory? Pretty much any story with meaning follows that loose guideline. The Hero's Journey is obviously specific to stories that involve characters that undergo some sort of change in order to accomplish their goal. This does not always happen.

So many postmodern novels in particular eschew character development and still carry plenty of meaning

why do people put together jigsaw puzzles when the picture showing what it looks like put together is on the box?

I agree, puzzles are pretty dumb.

but seriously, why do they do that?

>but seriously, why do they do that?

Because unlike with the writing of a story where you're supposed to create something meaningful, puzzle completion is a task with a predetermined right answer that you're meant to solve for, therefore making the analogy invalid.

Why do people still make comedic cartoons when every idea has already been done by the Simpsons?

>a task with a predetermined right answer that you're meant to solve for

...that sounds dull as fuck.

why does the simpsons still exist when every idea was already done by the simpsons 10 years ago?

I know you are being sarcastic but you're not wrong.

Puzzles *are* dull as fuck.

Campbell is so misunderstood. He is a genius when it comes to myth, the stories of heroes. But this does not often apply to literature. Each myth has vital functions in their cultures, myth itself is like an institution of society, while literature is a form of artistic, individual expression. The two can cross paths at different times, but are essentially different.

this. why don't more people get this

also, I enjoy puzzles, you guys just hate fun. it's satisfying to see it all click together. i enjoy doing puzzles when i'm high especially

>I enjoy puzzles, you guys just hate fun

Google:

boring hobbies

And tell me how many pages you need to click through before you find a reference to puzzles. For me first one was on page 1.

Because new elements that didn't exist before can be introduced to add new dimension.

Also, weekend before last I entered a hog calling contest for the fuck of it.. and won.

Because the Simpsons have become an unkillable zombie that rightfully died somewhere around season 10-12

How much time, and how many hot dogs did you eat?

No dipshit, you make sounds like you're calling hogs. You're thinking of a hotdog eating contest.

don't be rude lad

He's just angry they don't serve hotdogs at his hog calling place.

that'll do, pig.

For all the hog calling I have seen in Arkansas, I haven't seen many hog calling contests

There are people out there who treat this formula as some kind of a holy scripture that all forms of fiction must strictly adhere to, or else be labeled "bad writing". Oh, wait, it literally is the holy scripture! Heard of New Testament?

I think it's a good set of training wheels for beginners. But after you've done it, it's time to either start using variations or your writing will get stale and predictable. I used cyberspace as an added element that Joseph Campbell couldn't have predicted in his time. Although if you twist the wording about, the crossing of that threshold COULD be substituted with the "olde time" nomenclature of "magical land" of "dream world". Feels good man.

Meanwhile Campbell actually wants and describes the societal need for people to constantly reinvent the same stories.

But I'm just gonna enjoy this story about people who have never read Joseph Campbell instead.

>reading for archetypes.

The same reason people play Legend of Zelda games, the hero story is timeless.

>shitposting in Veeky Forums

>why do people still write songs when it has been proved that they all use the same notes ans chords

>Why do people still write stories when Joseph Campbell already proved they're all just rehashes of the same prototypical monomyth?
Because it never gets old, besides, there are other archetypal stories.

>OP just read hero with a thousand faces and thinks he's cracked all literature

I too remember being 16

>Last week?

Underage b&

>Why do people continue to do anything when I can apply bland overarching generalizations to it to loosely connect it to other things?

We continue on the same we always have despite some chodesmoke yelling shit from the sidelines.

Check that full house.

I would want to believe Campbell because you're a pleb and a philistine if you read for the plot