Society tells me that christians hate logic and reason

>society tells me that christians hate logic and reason
>read atheist and nihilist philosophers
>bunch of logic denying fags who make up their own axiom
>turns out christians love logic and reason the most

i grew out of my edgy atheist phase when i studied philosophy in college and realized all of the smartest and most interesting people around me were some kind of theist.

I feel like there's a point in philosophical maturity where many people realize that faith in a higher power actually makes more sense than many other views

It's good to know that Christians do not make up their own axioms.

>learns philosophy
>let's other people's dogma become his beliefs

Kek.

Which God did you opt for?

Trying to make faith logical is a perversion of faith.

I didn't let other people's dogma become my beliefs. I came to the realization that believing in a higher power made the most sense to me, and then I discovered that many of my peers and teachers had come to similar conclusions. It did nothing more than make me feel like I wasn't an idiot

And I havent found any solace in organized religion. I know there is a power or energy beyond our control or sphere of knowledge, that affects the universe. I don't believe in a god that caters to our desires, I believe in a powerful force that sort of ties the universe together.

...I'm now realizing I almost quoted star wars right there. Not that kind of force lmao

this. I wasted so much time on the existentialists and nihilists. since defying the mainstream is supposedly a persons only recourse to find something of value, or something truthful, I'm surprised so many people stick with these hacks and neglect reading The Fathers of the Church, espically with this whole pretense for traditionalism and what not.

>I know there is a power or energy beyond our control or sphere of knowledge, that affects the universe.

how do you know this, and how exactly does this energy affect the universe?

So all your reading of philosophers didn't teach you that most people of any belief have literally nothing to do with philosophers who happen to share a similar belief on paper? Judging all "Christians" by philosophers (most of whom lived in an era where everyone was an avowed Christian if they wanted to stay alive) is as fucking idiotic as judging all non-believers by Dawkins and Hitchens. 80% of Americans call themselves Christians even today, while declared agnostics and atheists total about 7%: it's hardly surprising most folks you encounter in any situation are religious.

So, Pascal's wager is self defeating?
Believing in God just for the sake of reward?

it'd be difficult to describe why i believe it without being torn apart on here, so lets just go with "because i said so" lmao

>not being in a constant state of dissatisfied skepticism and mild depression

Plebs

not just self defeating bit totally useless. there are multiple mutually exclusive faiths the wager can apply to, which one are you meant to bet on?

:/

People who say they believe just to hedge their bets don't truly believe at all

coward.

And there's your "logic and reason." Ultimately, all faith has to come down to "because I said so."

Christians acknowledge that there are knowledge beyond logical axioms. Nihilists deny logical axioms.

Faith transcends human logic. It doesn't deny logic, but it is the belief that there is more to this logic.

No, faith comes down to "because I don't know, I'd rather trust this." Everything comes from scripture and tradition, not made up.

They don't. They are given by God through nature. And they are universally deduced my mankind, with the use of reason.

>Which God did you opt for?
>debate me at my intellectual level because I can't approach the subject matter at yours

Scripture and tradition = "because I said so." Good grief, this isn't complex.

Faith is logical if you are already faithful.

>Everything comes from scripture and tradition, not made up.

If something is made up thousand of years ago is still made up, don't fool yourself.

>So all your reading of philosophers didn't teach you that most people of any belief have literally nothing to do with philosophers who happen to share a similar belief on paper?
What does it have to do with our discussion.

How the fuck do you know what i have faith in

>Scripture and tradition = "because I said so."
It's debatable whether the scripture and traditions are authentic or made up, but the point is scripture and traditions have existed long before christian philosophers, therefore it wasn't them who said so.

>look at those silly atheists... they're made entirely of straw!

>>>/historyandhumanities/

Feels > Reals

Reals don't exist, so feels are all there is.

OP and others are making the common error of treating philosophers like representatives of large social groups. They aren't. It's as fucking stupid as saying "I read Wilde. Turns out the Irish are gay!"