Someone explain this fucking equation to me

someone explain this fucking equation to me.

20 divided by 5 = 4
2 multiplied by 2 = 4

why is there no function between the 20/5 and (2x2)?

google just adds the "multiply" symbol there. why does it assume that?

also, how the fuck do you even get a "1" as answer?

I would have a hard time taking seriously someone that says 1 is the answer to that problem.

>both are equally correct
American education everyone

I guess because there's no fucking function there in the equation, you can assume "divided by" instead of "multiplied by" (at the red line in pic) making it 4/4=1

but why would you assume anything? why does the equation miss the function there?

>people still think its real

parentheses traditionally carry an implicit multiplication

and the traditional order of operations says parentheses take priority over division. there fore you would multiply the 2*, giving you 20 / 5 (4), then multiply the parentheses giving you 20/20 = 1

it's actually a really common thing to assume multiplication when no other sign is given. also, the way you would get 1 is by going (2 *2) then 5 *4 THEN 20 / 20. this is based on PEMDAS (the M is technically before the D) however, PEMDAS has never actually been an explicit thing, it has always actually been P, E, M or D, A or S. you just go with whatever is on the left.

TL;DR: common core thinks they're original but they're not. also both answers are not equally correct.

When there's a bracket with no operation you always assume it's a multiplication. Always been like that senpai

>going (2 *2) then 5 *4 THEN 20 / 20
but that's fucking retarded AND wrong, right?

yes... very

If you follow order of operations you get: 20/5*4

Google says the answer is 16 however if you multiply first you end up with 1

>common core
No dumb bitch, it's always been this way. If you want to express mathematics in a single line like that then you need to put parentheses to indicate what is inside the denominator, numerator, power, etc. In this case, the parentheses just indicate that you are to do 2*2 first then take that number and multiply it by the entire fraction.

The way you can get 1 is by multiplying the 2*2 with the 5 in the denom, then dividing.

Putting a number in front of a parentheses implies you are multiplying it. That's basic math that can be picked up in algebra.

No, you wouldn't. When you write an expression like that you are assuming that the 4 is being multiplied with the numerator so in fact it would be 80/5 which is 16. If you wanted to express it to be 1 it would have to be 20/(5*4)

Someone save these poor children from the shit American education system.

Its like they're deliberately trying to make sure these kids are dumb mathematically illiterate people with no hope of understanding the world they live in....

Shit, that might actually be their plan.

Mate, America's education system isn't the best, you're right, but know that the people who don't learn this bullshit go on to college/university and usually do well. The public education system does suck though, that's why I took AP classes most of my time in high school.

>but know that the people who don't learn this bullshit go on to college/university and usually do well.

Yeah man, you and me both probably. Sounds like both of us made it through American public education before this "common core" phenomenon.

Yeah I was ahead of it by one year. Although some of my high school math teachers were still shit, I ended up doing well in mathematics because I am just mathematically gifted.

That image is fake. If this is the first time you're seeing it you need to go back.

>Its like they're deliberately trying to make sure these kids are dumb mathematically illiterate people with no hope of understanding the world they live in....
I wonder (((who))) is behind this

>I've never seen parenthesis before
>I still use the letter "x" to mean multiplication

In PEMDAS addition/subtraction & multiplication/division are also equal therefore always go left to right making the awnser 16. If multiplication came before division the awnser would be 1, yes. This is how they get 1 for the people who learned correctly(with all implied symbols added clearly):
20÷5×(2×2)
20÷5×(4)
20÷20=1
Correct way is:
20÷5×(2×2)
20÷5×(4)
4×(4)=16

I take it you haven't done math since algebra then?

What's retarded is writing an expression that is so ambiguous when another set of parens would eliminate any doubt.

Even if multiplatication came before division then the answer would still be 16. It is simply the matter of where the number is being multiplied. See

there is already zero ambiguity
besides, you don't want to show little kids stacked parens, they wont be able to unpack them

>you don't want to show little kids stacked parens, they wont be able to unpack them
not true.

The confusion arises from an argument of fraction vs ÷(operator).
You avoid the confusion all together if you're not a ding dong and make your work clear

Yes it is. There is no point in putting more parentheses when it's not needed.

Really the same thing though.

even if they could be taught, it would take a very long time
and that time should be spent learning how to do actual operations (multiplication and division)

>There is no point in putting more parentheses when it's not needed.

Like those around 2*2 in the picture?

OP there a implicit multiplication sign

the way you solve it is to start from left and work your way to the right (after the 2*2)

20/5 = 4
4*4 = 16

Yeah, technically those aren't needed. I think those are justthere to fuck with people.

Only nerds use / instead of just writing out the fraction.

The whole point of these "trick" problems is to keep it all on one line.

20/5(2*2)
=20/((2*5)*(2*5))
=20/(10*10)
=20/100
=0.2

the answer is 0.2 you guys...
seriously?

Evolution core BTFO DESU.

If multiplication came before division then 4×5 would come first and then 20÷20 afterwards making it 1, I mean like right?

But like I said the awnser isn't 1, and multipication doesn't come before division, therefore going left to right and having 20÷5=4 first and then 4×4=16 second. The correct way, god damnit.

THE EQUATION IS MEANINGLESS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T REFER TO ANYTHING. If it were an actual problem, there would be a correct answer because the numbers would have units. Both answers are equally correct because NOBODY GIVES A FUCK.

This mathematical statement is grammatically poor. By using a slash for the division symbol, it is unclear whether the (2x2) is in the numerator or denminator. By placing the open parentheses after the 5, it only implies the contents are separate from the 20/5. So yes, it should be 16.

But by not having an operand before the parentheses, it marries the the contents to the 5, so it could be interpreted as 20/20, but then the parentheses *should* have been placed around the 20/5.

The answers are not equally correct.1 does not equal 16. Both answers have valid arguments.

>Both answers have valid arguments
lol

the only right answer

Just because you write a bunch of mathematical symbols in sequence does not mean you have constructed a well-formed mathematical expression. It's the equivalent to asking "what's the definition of wxeqjuix?"

It's showing the different results from interpreting the placement implicit multiplication of the shit in brackets.

[math]\frac{20}{5\cdot 2\cdot 2} \textrm{ vs }\frac{20\cdot 2\cdot 2}{5}[/math]

the issue is the line
>both answers are equally correct
it's good to point out what will go wrong if you mess up your order of operations, as in your first example
but the point is to show how you will not get the correct answer, not that all the wrong ways are also acceptable

Huge error

>people still think this is a real image
I swear to God this is one of the reasons people irl hate Common Core.

if you type it in the ti-83 the way its presented the answer is 16. If you ignore order of operations then it can be one.
Paraethesis, Exponents, Multiplation, Division, Addition, Substration

it's an old timer and had to go for a pee

When ever an equation has a number before an opening parenthesis, its always a multiplication that takes place. It's a mathematical law.