Books taking place during the Imperial Century

Can anyone recommend to me any good, comfy books that take place during the Imperial Century, particularly those that have to do with imperialism, interactions of Europeans and indigenous peoples, colonialism, expeditions, trade, etc?

Trade expeditions in exotic lands, pirates, politics and disputes of colonial powers, opium dens, secret societies... that kind of stuff.

It can be before or after if it fits the bill, and I am interested in the 18th century as well, but I'm generally most interested in the Imperial Century, 1815-1915.

A couple examples that I guess somewhat fit the content or aesthetic that I read and enjoyed are Mason and Dixon (although earlier) and Heart of Darkness.

I'm particularly quite interested in British Singapore during the imperial century, from its founding on.

Fiction preferred, but non fiction is also fine (especially about Singapore).

Thanks, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1819.html
lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1826.html
lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1867.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

heart of darkness was nice desu

Yeah, but as I said in the OP I already read it.

If you like /pol/ than you should read pick related

K I P L I N G
I
P
L
I
N
G

>If you like /pol/

I don't.

Can you recommend something in particular? Perhaps your favorite of his or that most apropos of the requested content? Thanks.

Bump. Help a man out thanks.

Things fall apart maybe?

J U N G L E B O O K
U
N
G
L
E

B
O
O
K

Bumping again.

Well, this should be Veeky Forums 101, but Around The World In Eighty Days is a good read. Definitely my favorite childhood book

Wide Sargasso Sea

These are nonfiction, but The Great Game by Peter Hopkins and Tournament of Shadows are great "age of imperialism" books, both concerned with colonial intrigues between the Russians and British in Central Asia (Afghanistan, Tibet, Djungaria, etc).

They're entertaining because they are told like stories, not just recitation of facts. Tournament of Shadows sort of veers off towards the end in discussing the ramifications of the 19th century Great Game for the Cold War and modern geopolitics, and loses its focus, but is otherwise a great book.

>*Peter Hopkirk
Damn autocorrect

Can't think of any fiction within that time period.

Try Malay Sketches by Frank Swettenham. He was the first Resident General of the Federated Malay states.

Otherwise, go for chapters that interest you in history books.
John Miksic-Singapore and the Silk Road of the Sea, 1300-1800
CM Turnbull-A History of Modern Singapore, 1819-2005
Brenda Yeoh-Contesting Space in Colonial Singapore: Power Relations and the Urban Built Environment

Non-fiction, read the Mayflower. It's bad ass.

Thank for the recommendations all.

>A History of Modern Singapore
Was thinking of copping this plus the volume by Chew and Lee for just a general overview.
>Contesting Space in Colonial Singapore
This sounds perfect, m8 thanks. I will cop. It's too bad that I live in Japan so shipping time and cost will be bad. Most of these books are obscure and not available here readily.

I've become really interested Singapore and the Straits Settlements. I'd like to eventually try my hand at writing my own fiction about this time and place but I have to do way more research. I'm trying to find a way to access news papers from around this time too. Either papers from the settlements or Britain itself.

read the works of Kipling

King Leopold's Ghost

Bamp. Thanks.

Nonfiction, but a quick read at 280pp, and very informative.

Kim, on secret service in high asia, the siege of krishnapur

The Great Game has a great bibliography, and recommends tons of TRUE STORY ACTION NOVELS written by british officers and gentry in the Victorian era.

Burmese Days by Orwell is good, so is Wieland by Charles Brockden Brown (though slightlt earlier than your timeframe

If you're still here, I found a bibliography of Singapore's history by her oldest university.

lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1819.html
lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1826.html
lib.nus.edu.sg/bib/sh/sing1867.html

Odds are you won't have access to many of these books, but it's worth a Google.