Is it impossible for a white male author to get

critically acclaimed now a days...DFW was really the last one

now the only way to get academic exposure is by writing post-colonial, marxist, PoC, transgender literature...

DFW was the last of us

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
youtube.com/watch?v=uQQNJfEBeX4
splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/1999/kosovo-and-far-right
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dfw wasn't white

Franzen

Franzen
Safran Foer
Lerner
hell, Green

I bet you can't even name any modern authors.

yes he was

Safran is jewish

yeah he's white

knausgård

Franzen is the go-to whipping boy for the pseuds of the American literary scene and Green is not taken seriously. Lerner and Foer have nowhere near the popularity and acclaim than DFW had at his height, and Foer isn't even white.

Closest answer

>Franzen is the go-to whipping boy for the pseuds of the American literary scene
So exactly like DFW.

no he's jewish. Why are you on a literature board if you have trouble reading?

the guy who wrote "the nix" is probably white and that has gotten good reviews but the real question is why am i even responding to this like i'm trying to convince you of something when you've already made up your mind about what the world is like

No one's actually "white". You've been memed by /pol/ or stormfront or whatever.

Can you just go back to /pol/, you fucking mong?

No, DFW was more or less untouchable while still alive. Nobody was stealing his glasses etc

>population genetics is a /pol/ conspiracy
It's interesting how many progressives have never taken a basic biology class

wtf are you talking about
each year there's multiple highly hyped debuts by white men, not even getting into the established authors
pic related this year, last year city on fire was the big hype book

Jewish is not a color. Stop with the Stormfront peacock paegentry. If no one is white, then no shit whites aren't doing any important work.

People clowned on DFW all the time. Look at The Onion's archives. He rarely got good reviews and the leading literary critics didn't consider him a serious figure. He only got famous because of magazine pieces. Supposedly Fun Thing has vastly outsold his other books.

yeah but look who won the man booker prize last year a PoC Jamacian

Franzen gets made fun of on twitter, which most people who read Franzen don't read- I'd bet at least half of the people buying his book are over 40 and don't care about Jennifer Weiner or whatever, he makes money and he's still the top American novelist
Green is taken seriously by people who want to make money, of course he isn't taken seriously by 'serious' literary people bc he writes for teen girls and they aren't taken seriously (and he's not good, but plenty of people think he is compared to a lot of YA). Still has more fans than the top five literary authors combines.
Foer isn't as respected bc he's a clown, but he's more popular than DFW when he was at his peak pre-death...what are you even on about putting him and Lerner in the same category.

Here's some numbers (goodreads three top books- obviously only a portion of total readers, but just to show how off you are)
IJ: 49,941 Ratings
Consider the Lobster:26,322 ratings
Fun Thing: 24,472 ratings

Extremely Loud: 293,386 ratings
Everything is Illuminated:135,009 ratings
Eating Animals: 43,129 ratings

>twitter, which most people who read Franzen don't read
What? His target audience is very over represented on twitter.

yeah let's pretend this makes any sense
here's who won in 2014
what year was there a black winner before seven killings?

>
>
>Franzen is the go-to whipping boy for the pseuds of the American literary scene
You're thinking Bret Easton Ellis, m8.

You don't go unpublished because you're white or a man you get unpublished because your writing never deserves to be read and belongs in the dump. I'm sorry.

No, his target audience are people who are like 40+ or at least 30. Maybe you mean people who read serious literature are overrepresented on twitter, but I'd say that's more limited to people professionally involved or who skew younger.

>Maybe you mean people who read serious literature
I meant the cultural middle class.

City on Fire was an embarrassing flop for everyone involved.

I mean obviously, but it get have the chance to be a flop instead of flying totally under the radar, he made his money* and he'll get more chances, he's only 38 or so.

*Hallberg received an advance of $2 million for the novel, likely the most ever for a debut novel.[2]

Houllebecq captured the zeitgeist of 21st century Europe and is very much talked about.

>white
>genetics
Topkek mate. White and black are complete meme terms. At least use some sort of consistent taxonomy like "caucasoid" when you're talking about races.

in my country Murakami and Houllebecq are the most well known foreign writers I think, apart from stuff like Stephen King or the Harry Potter woman.

>skin color has nothing to do with genetics
Stop, you're embarrassing yourself. You've consumed too much relativist egalitarian propaganda and now are deeply confused and deluded. Quit reading feelgood pop science Slate articles and take a biology class, even an introductory one.

The politically correct movement in the late 80s and 90 was just as bad as the one today. People here are just young reactionaries and retards.
>hurr people are being retarded! it's teh apocalypse save the white race!! baww deus vult xD

You guys are sure the new fedoras

The sad fact of the matter is that nobody is writing anything worth recognizing right now. The scene is just prostituting itself to stay alive.

p-pinecone has one last masterpiece in him, right?!

>Whites were rapidly being displaced from their own countries in the late 80s and 90s
I agree that the framework was in place to exterminate White people, but in most Western countries there wasn't a conscious and active effort to replace the population with non-White immigrants like there is today. In any event, the extermination of Whites wasn't nearly as pronounced

>these are the people I discuss literature with

it was just as bad in the 90s, yeah, but 9/11 brought it to a grinding halt. now that we've "recovered" from that event, so to speak, we're back where we were, and going even farther down the PC path.

in essence, you're an idiot

>but in most Western countries there wasn't a conscious and active effort to replace the population with non-White immigrants like there is today. In any event, the extermination of Whites wasn't nearly as pronounced
Please provide proof of this claim.
Note: Please do not use infographics or info dump (aka hundreds of links with no real substance)

What about J.M. Coetzee?

100% post colonial lit but he's an affluent, white, awards coming out the ass, male who has often been at odds with the politically correct.

>we're back where we were, and going even farther down the PC path
Any proof of this claim ? If anything nowadays the world is shifting again into nationalism and traditional thinking (just like it did before! woah!)

What does genetics have to do with culture. Your culture is more likely to be replicated and saved than any other time in history. You cannot have culture without a form of change to it, else it stagnates and rots, and your own people turn against you in your own unwise plans.

The only way culture thrives is through constant communication.

Which leaves the only you complaining about white people being an endangered species. Which is highly dubious and very shill like.

Nope.

The "It" American novel of last year was City On Fire, written by first-timer Garth Risk Hallberg, a white guy.

The "It" American novel of this year is The Nix, written by Nathan Hill, a white guy.

The book podcast I most listen to, which covers new, contemporary stuff, just had a black woman, and I can't recall the last time that happened, if it ever did.

Who Are We? - Sam Huntington

the alt-right is a fringe movement. just because anti-globalist candidates are doing well in a few Western nations, it doesn't mean that nationalism is on the rise, it just means that the increasingly diminutive majority in these countries don't want to be legislated out of existence and are doing the absolute minimum to ensure it doesn't happen..

You aren't being legislated out of existence you're boring attention whore and you're being treated like one. If you don't like it quit being an attention whore

yes we are...because liberals like you want immigrants to take over white lands

you want white civilization to collapse

>quotes a whole book about American identity (or something)
>while talking about white countries
What? Just cite the whole Bible, that would be a better argument.

>white lands

>It Novel of this year The Nix
>Not Colson Whitehead's Underground Railroad

Kek, good one user

>It novel of last year City on fire
>Not Girl on the Train

My sides user, my sides.

You know, aren't op and other /pol/ posters the ones at fault for not supporting their fellow white male writers and not even knowing about the already famous ones. Isn't claiming there's no successful white male writers when that is clearly untrue invalidating all the hard work these white male authors do? Isn't this undermining whatever murky point you're trying to make?

If you want culture without "dominance" as you put it, i.e. being in a country that is not majority it's ethnicity or impose stricter regulations, you suggest every single Caucasian for example leave South America, South Africa, etc. It's pure nonsense. Pure delusional hysterical nonsense.

Quit going on Breitbart

thrillers are always bigger than literary books, you can say that for literally every year, try harder

what's with you and trains?

It's ok when whites do it

It's generally good to discuss academic subjects with people smarter than yourself. You might learn something

>Give me proof, but not too much proof
Okay, here are three pieces of media concerning three major Western countries that demostrate how powerful and influential political presences (the Labour government, Gregor Gysi, the supreme commander of NATO) deliberately work to make European-majority nations less white
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html

youtube.com/watch?v=uQQNJfEBeX4

splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/1999/kosovo-and-far-right

>culture has nothing to do with genetics

instant moron red flag

for being a board about books, lefty/lit/ sure doesn't read a lot

>you're boring attention whore
ive made two posts in this thread- this is the third.
either you're confusing me with the first guy or your definition of attention whore is ridiculously broad.

?
this is the literature board. someone asked for a cite and i gave it. you can read it if you are so compelled; in fact, you could skim the introduction and substantiate the *single* claim that i made. besides, i wasnt the one who changed the scope from the US to the world.

if op is so /pol/ why does he like the author of brief interviews with hideous men

Cultures are wiped out far regularly than you realize and some are assimilated by locality, particularly in Africa or the Amazon, and their language and history lost, than middle class outrage addicts.

If middle class and upper class Anerican outrage addicts are so important to preserve because their cultural identity is important, why the fuck aren't you bitching about the number of cultures currently at risk for vanishing without a trace. If English, or French, or German were at similar risk you would commit suicide.

You could argue it is up to a people to protect their own, but that means you selectively care about severity at which a culture can be at risk which is entirely fucking hypocritical.

Anyone well read on anything but popular news sites and click bait articles or actually fell for what /pol/ shits out knows this. Stop getting outraged about being called mean names it's fucking absurd and embarrassing.

>It's generally good to discuss academic subjects with people smarter than yourself. You might learn something
You're right.

Goodbye, going to find some smart people.

I meant all of you, collectively, who subscribe to this shit are boring attention whores. I didn't just mean you specifically. Sorry for the confusion, I hope this clarifies things.

Because it's possible to read something without agreeing with every political and moral position of its author. This concept is usually a bit tricky for leftists, who demand that everything they consume caters to their delicate worldview

That sounds like every single most basically politically educated American though. That sounds like you, that sounds like him, that person over there, the dude on the street.

This is projection. And you care selectively because putting faith in your brand of politics without being read (because the material is uncomfortable) makes you feel comfortable and happy.
At ease.

You entirely consume your news from image boards and what everyone else uses, and not a single god damn day will you talk about what books uphold your ideas and theories on Veeky Forums because you don't fucking read them at all. If you did you'd be ashamed and embarrassed at the crap you sold your mind to.

You don't seem to know how citation works
Tip: Doesn't mean posting a random book and claiming you've won an argument.
>Give me proof, but not too much proof
Didn't say that but your kind tends to post hundreds of (mostly dead) irrelevant links to try to make a point.
Other than that, multiculturalism doesn't mean 'extremination of whites' so I don't understand what are you even trying to prove

>why the fuck aren't you bitching about the number of cultures currently at risk for vanishing without a trace

because the clicku clacku bingo bongo tribe in the deep amazon didn't invent anything and is not useful to society, but people like yourself sure do like to advocate bringing them over here to live off the work of whites and jews

>Anyone well read on anything but popular news sites and click bait articles or actually fell for what /pol/ shits out knows this.

it's obvious you don't read because you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about

>because the clicku clacku bingo bongo tribe in the deep amazon didn't invent anything and is not useful to societ
I'm pretty sure you haven't invented anything either but they aren't kicking you out of the country

epic thread boys, catch you later

>didnt invent anything useful to society

So essentially care about the extinction of cultures when they "invent something useful". Then make threads about how interesting cultures were that are now gone who invented mathematics and knowledge of the starts orbits or medicine before Europeans did. Or, stop judging cultures by what they accomplish but their freedom to exist and speak their own tongue and beliefs.

This would be hilarious if not sad European culture will be extremely perserved to the detail and others won't .

You're an entitled young adult addicted to outrage.

And you were never at risk at all besides alienating more people by being addicted to outrage and being entitled.

Get that silver spoon out of your mouth and shut the fuck up

Yeah please go back to /pol/. You'll circlejerk endlessly without being confronted !

>Other than that, multiculturalism doesn't mean 'extremination of whites' so I don't understand what are you even trying to prove
Ah, but it does. Multiculturalism is the gradual displacement of native Whites by immigrants. You cannot make a native White country multicultural in the modern progressive sense of the word without severely diluting the White presence in your society and culture, which is why the linked political presences are openly doing just that.

>You entirely consume your news from image boards and what everyone else uses

Now THIS is projection!

if you love the bingu bangu tribe so much why don't you live with them in the amazon?

answer: you do not really care about the bungu bongo tribe, you just envoy signaling to others that you care about the bungo bongo tribe on the internet, from the safety of your parents' basement or perhaps an apartment in the city that your parents pay for, safe from the savagery of a third world shithole like venezuela or the congo

you enjoy this signaling because you fancy that it makes you look smart, that you are a step above those dumb rednecks who hate the noble savage. but you're not smart, you are of middling intelligence at best, and you are exactly the kind of person who likes to be far removed from the consequences of his own actions. thus you want the bongo tribe to be allowed to emigrate to wherever they please, just not anywhere near the comfort of your suburban neighborhood

:(((((

Racist memelords LOVE culture arguments because they get to ride the coattails of dead people's accomplishments without actually contributing anything.

Wtf?! Are you living in a liberal dictatorship?

>Multiculturalism is the gradual displacement of native Whites by immigrants
What ? Where are you getting that from ?
>if you love the bingu bangu tribe so much why don't you live with them in the amazon?
But I don't, I'm just pointing out the retarded shit you are saying. The rest of your post is just inane ramblings and assumptions.

Progreesive memelords LOVE projecting their lack of accomplishment onto anonymous internet strangers.

it's not retarded, you're just intellectually incapable of understanding a very simple argument

>culture arguments

that's literally the exact opposite of the arguments being made ITT

for being a board about books, lefty/lit/ sure doesn't read a lot

>Where are you getting that from ?
The unprecedented Western demographic shifts of the past fifty years and the articles that have been shared and explained to you already

>tfw alt-right rhetoric is just tumblr identitarianism with a different victim and you get to this proven in real time

>if you love the bingu bangu tribe so much why don't you live with them in the amazon?
This is the worst argument I've ever seen contrary to myself. Congratulations.

I didn't say I loved them. I said you have to, because you care about the extinction of cultures and languages. If I say more, you'll say "b-but muh European accomplishment!!!" And I'll repeat myself and you'll say "w-well why don't you go live with them!!!"

By the way I'm sorry I failed to address you saying I want to "ship them over here" when if you actually read what I said that's the opposite of what I want.

Re-Read
The arguments
You make
Before posting
On Veeky Forums

>you enjoy this signaling because you fancy that it makes you look smart,

This but with you. I'm not "signaling", and the definition of "signaling" can vice versa be attached to anyone who commonly uses it. You don't care about whites or Europeans for the same reason why you don't care about "the bingo bongo tribe". Or for the reason you are accusing me of. You are incapable of nuance or making an educated world view so you adopt them from every single source of confirmation bias you find. That much is certain.

For example, you find caring about cultures being extinct on my end, something you seem to care about, for love. You can't understand the degree to which others view your arguments outside of your own.

You're just really stupid and you should, if at all possible, read on how to make an argument or at least go to debate before you embarrass yourself again.

Stop being outraged and worry about your own life

Thanks, God bless

>it's not retarded, you're just intellectually incapable of understanding a very simple argument
Except you aren't saying anything substantial
Just to quote and remind you what you've said:
>because the clicku clacku bingo bongo tribe in the deep amazon didn't invent anything and is not useful to society, but people like yourself sure do like to advocate bringing them over here to live off the work of whites and jews

You guys don't really sound like you are from Veeky Forums. Is this how /pol/ discusses things? Spouting inane garbage and then insulting anyone who doesn't circlejerk along? No wonder nobody takes you people seriously

>tfw lefty/pol/ rhetoric literally boils down to calling someone a racist/alt-right/pol/ because they have no arguments, like a chatbot script that barely passes the Turing Test, and you get this proven in realtime

I'm not sure what do you mean but, the guy in your video said more native germans (whites) are dying that being born. So how is that the immigrant's fault ? Also didn't you guys elect your leaders under democracy, and having a white majority? What are you complaining abour?

Great counter-argument. Really opened up the debate.

>I said you have to, because you care about the extinction of cultures and languages

across the board? no, I don't

didn't read the rest of your post because it is very likely a bunch of bullshit based off false assumptions because you're incapable of reading (on Veeky Forums nonetheless)

That's right. When you get compared to where terrible arguments and poorly thought out beliefs come from, make a terrible poorly thought out argument by comparing the person you're arguing with to that place you don't like, when you're against that very argument supposedly.

You will never not win an argument /pol/. You always win these arguments.

>I'm not sure what do you mean but, the guy in your video said more native germans (whites) are dying that being born. So how is that the immigrant's fault ?
I don't remember ever saying that it was the immigrant's fault. Can you provide a citation demonstrating that I said this?
>Also didn't you guys elect your leaders under democracy, and having a white majority? What are you complaining abour?
Democracy is a terrible form of government. Unfortunately, most Whites have become naive and excessively charitable. We are working to change this, to some success

I'm not from /pol/. You immediately bring /pol/ into the argument because it's an easy way to discredit what someone else is saying and because you have no argument. It's boring and dishonest, and if that's how the rest of the thread is going to go at least have the common courtesy of putting on a trip so people can filter you.

I didn't ask you if you didn't, I said you must if you care. Otherwise you're just jamming Rand's beliefs into a form of cultural nationalism and moral relativity. And that's an astoundingly fucking retarded world view.

I was pointing out your inconstancy, I'm sorry you got confused again. It was my mistake.

>didn't read the rest of your post

When exactly did you start reading the posts you disagree with you decided to throw straw man at. You could have just said "I didn't read any of your posts before I responded to them". I would have at least agreed to that and I would have respected you more.

there was nothing inconsistent in my position at all, you simply posted a bunch of absolute nonsense because you, for some reason, assumed I care about all cultures / peoples across the board. I don't, I never said I did, thus you are a moron who should read harder and more carefully

>I'm not from /pol/

This is like a programmed response to you fucks. Like you're telemarketers and as soon as you get called on being a marketer you just open up the book of contrived asspull responses and say "actually we're from the Terrible Arguments collection agency and we'd just like to know if you're interested in xyz"

It's fucking obvious who you are. We both know exactly what you are.

If you don't want to be associated with /pol/ quit arguing over what the board isn't about, without citing books or sources (what the board IS about), and become more interested in posting about what the board is catered to. Instead of cathartic release from making the same arguments from the same place you don't want to be associated with, with the same behavior of the place you don't want to be associated with. It makes you easier to spot out.

>chatbot complains about programmed responses

Go ahead, tell me to go back to /pol/ again, your dopamine hit awaits you

he's dead and nobody's found the body yet.

Look at this dog guys

>there was nothing inconsistent in my position at all
You must not have read my posts, where I pointed out your inconsistencies. The various ones, not just inconsistency in the singular. In the plural. I'm sorry. But then again, you already admitted that you don't read what you respond to. Otherwise why would you respond to the post you said you wouldn't read.

>assumed I care about all cultures / peoples across the board. I don't,

You could have saved the irritated energy of typing out a response where you actually read what I said, that I did say you clearly did not care, instead of admitting you don't read posts you respond to.

I said you don't care. You're fusing blind self interest with blind nationalism and jingoism and hoping things stay consistent when none of your peers are consistent either.

At this point we're at an impasse because you're going to keep making terrible arguments and not reading clearly enough and wasting your time trying to prove to me you aren't what you clearly are and you're not doing what you're clearly doing

Ok.

Go back to /pol/.

I am surely a chat bot and the person saying I'm not from /pol/, being called on being from /pol/, denying it, saying I'm from /pol, is not the shill from /pol/ who might as well be a chat bot.

Anyone who disagrees with you is a chat bot /pol/. You win again. You keep winning these arguments.

They don't actually read and their definition of white is your definition of a unicorn so no one's ever white enough.