Who here pickles? I've been on a pickling jaunt as of late. These are jalapeno and garlic flavored...

Who here pickles? I've been on a pickling jaunt as of late. These are jalapeno and garlic flavored. What's your pickling recipe?

I have old china recipe for pickle vegetable
1. you put your vegetable in jar for pickles
2. take urine and full up to half
3. Take vinegar and fill up other half
4. Keep for 4 months to fermentation to happening

>using vinegar
ya blew it

I'm not sure it even qualifies as "pickled" without vinegar.

Confirmed for not know what the fuck you're talking about.

I'm currently lacto fermenting some jalapeƱos, these have been going for almost two weeks now and I'll probably keep it going for at least one more week before turning them into hot sauce. I also have a couple jars of fermented poblano hot sauce in the fridge.

Anyone else eat a pickle like you're sucking a dick? Asking for a friend.

You get any white shit growing on the bottom of your jalapenos?

Funny how you left out the "or immersion in vinegar" part...

Yeah, the *OR* immersion in vinegar part. You implied that it's only a pickle with vinegar, when in reality not all pickles use vinegar.

Not that I've noticed, though I did get that when I did the poblanos. Didn't seem to harm the flavor though, and supposedly it's harmless.

Most people on Veeky Forums are moving to fermentation pickling, which is a good thing. I used to do vinegar brine pickles, but after some threads here on doing 3%-5% brine pickling with just salt and herbs or spices, that's the only way to go. A much crisper vegetable and not such an overwhelming acidity. These sheeples that say you can't learn anything from Veeky Forums are fos.

I did. Quite a bit after two weeks. It's a certain type of yeast. It should affect anything besides giving a mild flavor (which isn't bad to me).

No he's right. It's only a pickle if you use vinegar. If you don't, it's shit.

The fact that you might not like it that way doesn't mean it isn't a pickle.

>It's a certain type of yeast
Would it be possible to use it to leaven bread?

Probably not, but I'm unsure if you could use it to jumpstart a starter. Why don't you try it and find out? The flavor is probably not very nice.

Well if lactic acid is what give sourdough starter its flavor, then maybe a spoonful of pickling brine would be a good way to jumpstart a starter. I'lll have to try that when I'm making my hotsauce.

what else do you put in it?

For the previous batch and probably this one, it's just the peppers and garlic (pickled alongside the peppers). On my next batch I'll probably start experimenting with adding more spices to the ferment, but right now I'm just kind of establishing a baseline as I'm kind of new to doing this.

Oh, and I also add some vinegar to the finished sauce.

oh I meant your hot sauce
I've never heard of making your own and would love to try

That's what I was talking about. It's really quite easy. Just mix up a salt solution of around 3 to 5%, roughly chop/slice (or don't) your peppers, jam them into a jar, cover with the brine, and place something on top to keep the peppers fully submerged in liquid. Cover with a cloth or something to keep dust/bugs out and just leave it at room temp for at least two weeks but much longer than that is even better. Then remove them from the brine and blend them up with some vinegar (exact amount is up to your taste). It's really that easy.

I recommend not chopping more than maybe halving them until you're ready to do shit with them. It makes it much easier to keep them submerged. Make sure to sanitize your shit as well, it's a good way to avoid mold or other such growths. Certain stuff ferments pretty explosively at first (cabbage, for example)

That's the entirety of my statement.

What's the word if you use cucumbers, water and salt? What about tomatoes, water and salt? Also I just add salt directly on clean cucumbers in a plastic bag and let that sit in a fridge for a day, what would be the word for that?

wrong, fermented pickles are very good for you than acid washed pickles and they taste better too

Salted cucumber

I've been meaning to get into pickling, what's something good to start with and what can you and can you not pickle?

I'm annoyed that I can't find Michigan made baby dills at the grocery store, when we're the #1 producer in the country.

WTF?

Using vinegar is called infusion pickling and is a brute force way to pickle something. These are refrigerator pickles.

Using anerobic bacteria is fermentation pickling. This is stuff that sits in the pantry for weeks.

Both are means of preservation by raising the acidity of the vegetable/whatever to make it less hospitable to bacteria coupled with the already in place brine. The acid is what gives pickles a lot of their flavor along with whatever you added to the brine like mustard seeds or something.

Fermented pickles get their acid from the bacteria digesting the sugars in the vegetables into lactic acid. This is a slow process so getting the resulting pickle takes time. Infusion is brute force as you basically soak the vegetable in acid to get it acidic, but it takes less time. Both are tasty but fermentation tastes better as the lactic acid process changes the pickle more than just forcing vinegar in.

Bump

I want to try fermenting so badly. I pickled eggs in vinegar and loved them

i finished a jar of pepperoncinis and threw a whole bunch of dried cayenne and jalapenos that i grew into the liquid. does that count?

Think I'm going to lacto ferment some veggies this weekend.

Which ones should I do?

the easiest pickle I've made was boiling some dark colored beet slices in a tiny amount of salt and vinegar + water brine and forgetting about the pot for 2 days. Beets were ok and the juice was refreshing.

I have a jar full of leftover pickle juice
Can I just hardboil some eggs and drop them there? Will they taste good?

How are you guys keeping everything below the water line?

I did three jars of peppers after reading the thread here on making fermented hot sauce a few months back and had to throw two of them out because I could not keep stuff below the waterline. There are glass and ceramic weights at various sites, but they are super expensive considering it's just a disc. Probably worth it at this point though, but I can't imagine all these user's paying that much for them. Between peppers and sauerkraut, I usually have at least 4 jars going at any given time.

Heat the juice to just about boiling and pour it over the eggs then stick them in the fridge for at least a couple of days.

a nicely boiled not a limestone not a granite regular gray heavy pebble?

>pickled jalapeƱos

vomit.tiff
Worst pickle since the beet

Fuck you, OP. Fuck you. My GamGam died last summer and she was a pickling madwoman. Cucumbers, peppers, etc... Also, she made great jams and it was all from her own garden at home. God I miss her.