Chuck Palahniuk

Does Veeky Forums loathe this guy just as much as I do? His writing is literal '2deep4u' garbage, where every other sentence is packed with 60 layers of post-modern onion bullshit.

Doing a fat shit

Read the first page of Fight Club then threw it away. Literally reads like I'm watching the movie, which isn't a good thing.

this, it works way better as a movie.

>every other sentence is packed with 60 layers of post-modern onion bullshit.
If only. They have one and a half layer at best.

Read "Choke" when I was in high school.

Its not bad when you stop viewing it as literature and start seeing it as a product of our empty modernist society. Its all about sexual depravity used to cover up emptiness and meaninglessness. Its the Weimar republic before Nazi Germany.

The book is smut but it serves a purpose. Its like clueless or superbad. Movies that aren't really great on their own but are more meaningful when viewed as a window into a certain temporally based mindset/culture.

That being said I'm not so sure that was his intention.

Tried the first few chapters of Damned a couple of months ago. I don't think want anything else to do with his work.

Of his work, I imagine Rant would appeal the most to you, due to its slightly complex narrative framing device and its themes.
I used to enjoy his work quite a bit. But his last couple have been various shades of bad, from mediocre to awful.

DONT FUCC WITH THE CHUCK

I've read a lot of his stuff as a teenager and Rant is probably the only one I can say holds up in retrospect. Rest are garbage. The worst one he wrote was the one he wrote entirely in pidgin English.

>pidgin English
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I do have good memories of Choke, a few stories from Haunted, and Lullaby. Despite the memes, Fight Club is pretty great as a piece of entertainment.

Chuck got 17 year old me into reading outside the classroom so I'll always give him credit for that.

That said Fight Club, Sruvivor and Rant are his only books even worth it at all. Oh, Lullaby is okay.

I think if he didn't look like a cuck I'd like him better

Please leave.

Why would I do something like that?

Because this isn't /pol/ and 'cuck' doesn't mean anything.

/pol/ didn't invent the word cuck you know

Who said they did?

/pol/ are morons.

>our modernist society

What

I thought his stuff was pretty cool as a teenager

My ex girlfriend's favorite author. Never read anything by him, never wanted to.

lol I thought the same thing.

I like invisible monsters, but it's been a long time since i read it so it could be not as good as my adolescent brain thought it was.

My god we have an actual cuck here.

Cuckoo

That's what the 90's were like though. He was good for the time of Dave Matthews Band and Titanic.

Next gen will say the same shit about whichever vaporware shitposting faggot who becomes a famous writer

yes I can't stand his style

Good Palahniuk books :
>Rant, Lullaby, Survivor, Diary

Decent Palahniuk books :
>Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Choke, Haunted, Pygmy, Tell-All

>Shit :
>Doomed, Damned, Snuff

Haven't read the rest.

He kinda went to shit and some of it is painful, but he's not a bad storyteller. I never ever though of him as 2deep though, it was all schlock and campy gore. Martha Plimpton reading "Diary" is still one of my favorites.

Some of the stories in Haunted were decent. It didn't need the running story, better as just a collection of shorts.

I don't actively hate him but I suspect that's only because I've never actually read any of his books. He seems like he might be fun when you're in 10th grade and angry because of how hormonal you are.

I don't shitpost about vaporware (or vaporwave) but I do listen to a lot of the latter and I'm editing what might very well be the 21st Century's Ulysses now. No I'm not posting excerpts either.

What's actually sad is that Veeky Forums meme ragehates the likes of Murakami and Vonnegut and only kind of sort of hates Palahniuk.

No one believes you.

he looks like a diseased homo, not a cuck
get your generalised appearances right

Why do you care, honestly?

not him but they don't get any discussion, even if their books are less bad. Maybe he likes their books and wants people to discuss

So start a thread about them.

but then they get hated on as pleb shit. That was his point

Holy shit, people have different opinions!!!

how dense are you?
There is no substance to their opinion. No explanation for why something is bad. There's no room for discussion because people aren't willing to discuss it because of its status on the board.

If you look at this thread people seem open to discussion even though there isn't that much substance here either.

>There is no substance to their opinion.
Welcome to Veeky Forums. Every board hates on something without substantiating, or articulating exactly why, other than offering a few meme buzzwords.

FFS, how new are you?

I'd rather not lower myself to your level but it's okay if you want to just meme through the days.

it doesn't matter how new he is you tool, he's merely saying it as it is

or are you implying only newfags want *some* *quality* and actual discussions?

you really are obtuse

Literally makes no fucking sense.

Then why get upset about it if he's perfectly aware of "how it is"? You genuinely think you're going to change the attitudes of this board's userbase by crying about the way people critique things?

Cretin.

>why get upset and show you're displeased with the cancer of the board

yeah, let's just wallow in memes and be a real echo chamber instead! that way we'll surely get far!

Veeky Forums has been like that for as long as I can remember, it's pretty much the same way on all the other boards too. This whole place is just an endless shitpost.

You think you're fighting some noble crusade complaining about it? You think words from some anonymous entity is going to change that? Migrate elsewhere if it upsets you so much.

Clueless is alright.

Well he is one of those two descriptions

I just recently read Rant, Choke, and Fight Club.
Rant was very entertaining, Choke wasn't, and Fight Club was exactly what I expected it to be- an easy, interesting read with some heavy handed "really makes u think" moments.