Roadkill Thread. How does Veeky Forums feel about eating roadkill?

Roadkill Thread. How does Veeky Forums feel about eating roadkill?

>driving along with wife. Whitetail deer thrashing about on the side of the road
>wife: "aw that's so sad. The poor thing!"
>me, out loud: "aw the poor thing. I wish we could help it
>me, in my mind: "backstraps!"

20 minutes later, she's pic related. The car had exploded her guts inside her chest cavity, so there was no saving a lot of the meat. There was also no way to really hang the deer whole and bleed it, for fear of spoiling. Basically i just cut the straps and some shoulder meat out, then dragged the rest out to the woods for the coyotes to dine.

Well, how was it?

well, i didn't dare eat it fresh because, well, roadkill on a warmish day. So i cut the straps to portions and froze them. Pulled one the next day, seared the medallions pretty rare. It was fantastic.

I'd get that thick back leg too...

Would you eat a steak lying on the side of the road?

no, but if a fucking kobe beef cow were thrashing on the side of the road because it was just hit by a car, damn fucking right I'm going to cut some chops out of it.

I didn't think people actually did this. What the fuck

It's actually quite common in the US. Lots of roads and cars in areas with high animal populations and people looking for free meat.
I used to help my dad with it when I lived at home. Often, you'd get cops calling people when a deer or something got hit by a car. Cops get a couple cuts of meat in return.

why didn't you cut a mysterious word into the fur and leave it by the side of the road to give the cops something to do?

if the deer is still alive like OP's or still warm i don't see the problem with it. its not like its been dead for a couple days and rotting.

this crossed my mind.. not cutting a word or anything but the idea that the cops might sniff around if they found a half cut up carcass. I didn't want to get charged with poaching or anything. not sure of the game laws RE or if you need to tag roadkill so i thought it would be best to just eliminate the evidence and complete the circle of life

you know meat has to die somehow before it gets cut up into nice portions for you to buy at the grocery store, right?

it's explicitly legal in washington now

*banjo music starts playing*

>starting a thread with a fucking roleplay
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/reddit/

This is to prevent people "accidently" killing animals with their trucks to get some free meat.

trust me, nobody hits a deer on purpose. even with a bull bar on it you're going to fuck up your truck

I wouldn't touch anything with a busted gut, OP, you're a braver man than me. Also parasites need at least 4 days in the freezer to safely die off so GLWT

I live in Washington and have met people that intentionally hit deer with their trucks out in Monroe and granite falls. They had some big "truck armor" attachments or something but they still told me that they would try to hit them for the meat if they saw them.

That is truly morlock tier existence. Go night shooting off a lumber road if you need meat that badly, a 30-06 round is $0.50 or use a crossbow and eat for free

First post on Veeky Forums but if you or someone you know just hit it and it's taken care of right, there's no issue. 1oz vs 1 ton is still ok.Just watch the gall and all that.

Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't stupid, but they told me they do it if they're out driving and see one.

This looks like what they use, but with diamond plating on the bottom part.

>have Diamond Plated Hummer
>eat roadkill

>Diamond plating

OP here - i actually live in an american city. I back up to a golf course and some woods, so there area lot of deer, but i can't just roll out with a rifle and take a shot. The city has a muzzle flash detection system to immediately dispatch cops to anyplace where a shooting happens inside city limits. Also helps when everyone in town calls 911 to report gunshots that are actually fireworks.

Also, shooting a deer, even with a crossbow, is a huge risk. they run after you whack em. it might land on somebody's yard or fall through their pool cover or something. then you're looking at jail time and fines.

I'll stick to roadkill in the off season and sticking my 2 deer a year during the season.

Roadkill to me used to be the thought of grabbing a flattened possum and cooking it at home but I'd be pretty okay with doing this

Depends on the climate. It'd be a death sentence to eat road kill in Australia since the temps here are high enough to promote the growth of salmonella and other dangerous bugs. But if you found a recently deceased deer in the freezing Canadian wilderness, I'd say it's safe.

i'd roadkill the fuck out of a kangaroo.

Most people do. Fuck roos.

I can't seem to find it, but YEARS AGO, an user hit a deer with his car and cut it up in his bath tub.
It was a sticky for a long time, with a vulture as the OP pic.

The fuck man. The bathtub? I've cut a dozen deer or so in my life and it's never occurred to me to make it an inside job

Wait, found the pic.

My uncle tried this recently and ended up poisoning him and his wife because it either wasn't fresh enough or the meat was ruined by bursting organs

Now he just drags roadkill off the road so the vultures and bears can safely scavenge. one deer he buried on his property because he had been feeding it and got attached.

CK was a lot nicer back then. More sticky threads of general recipes, and less about shit talking muh millennial bullshit.
t.85"millennial"

My wife hit a deer when she was 20 something, and so did my best friend when he was just learning to drive. Ma hit one when she was young a hundred years ago. Each time, within minutes of hitting the deer, there was a guy driving by who stopped and asked if he could have it. In two of the instances the deer was still alive so the guy had to slash the jugular before he took it. It's extremely common and not really a big deal. Then again, I grew up in rural Vermont where there were a lot of hunters.

>eating non-fresh roadkill

i've eaten a deer that jumped in front of my car, but it seems strange to eat one that somebody else hit

like, you don't know how long it's been there, or if somebody planted a bomb in it

Only If It's a deer, moose, or cow. An only If I personally see it get hit by a car or I hit it.

I've taken 2 deer I've hit in the past, Mostly because I'll save money on meat and they owe me a deductible

and abos,

kek, when i first started flatting at uni I was waiting to get into a flat with some good mates and had a spend a month or two flatting with some insufferable vegans. I would hang and butcher pigs in the tub. they were too soft to even ask me to do it outside. I never left a mess after butchering, I was living there too.

thats a little insensitive my man

thats why I did it. I don't care if people are vegan or veggos, I dont mind eating meals which dont include meat, but these people were fucking intolerably pretentious, so fuck em.

what kind of deer live in Syria? wtf.

Roe Deer

Question:
What are the tell tale signs of disease in the deer?

Americans are so poor they literally have to eat dead animals on the side of the road. Trump got in at the perfect time, he can't make America worse.

yep and we always give some to the cinema falcons on penis inspection day too. Stop making shit up man.

There are many but the state of the liveris a good indicator.

Same

If you found a deer would you fuck it?

NC here, it happens, but not with the cops. You're supposed to report deer hits and wait for an officer, but it's pointless since there is no insurance to file.
Most of the time people just pack the deer up or leave it, checking for any diseases before processing of course. My Dad hit a giant pig one time that got out of a fence when he was a teenager. Cop came, my grandfather had to come and pay for the hog to the farmer. The farmer got mad when my grandfather started to load it into his truck, but the cop was on my grandfather's side.
He paid the cost of it, so it was his.

>own a hummer
>eat roadkill

City dweller here. I never envisioned this actually happening, and I'm having a hard time imagining anything appetizing coming from that Steven King novel in OP's pic.

However I gotta admit I'm a little jealous. I can't get venison for anything less than $40/lb and it's farm raised at that. Good work OP. Better than average thread considering how much Veeky Forums sucks lately.

It's a very interesting subject that's up for debate in a lot of court systems. You have your polarized positions, eat what you find and don't eat anything already dead, then you have this wide middle ground. Obviously hitting a deer mid stride and then taking it home is safe for the most part, but when people come across roadkill of lesser animals it becomes a debate. For the people who rely on any source of meat to save money or feed themselves it can be a godsend, such as a smashed opossum or dead skunk, but the health hazards are there for any dead animal that has been out baking in the sun and when people get sick from eating spoiled meat it becomes a public health concern.

I've not fucked a dear but in Australia I hit a dingo in the outback once. Died to my bull bar, moved it off the road and saw it was a female. Had some lub in my car so thought why the fuck not. It was fucking tight, but quite warm. Internally it was quite short so I could only get about half way in.

quads of truth

why did you have lube in your car?

I like jacking off with lub rather than just my dry hands, been like that since I started masturbating because I used to use conditioner in the shower. When I'm going camping or whatever I bring some with me so it's always with my camping gear.

OP here i gotta admit, if i hadn't seen the deer thrashing on the side of the road and knowing it had just been hit I wouldn't have even considered taking it. Knowing the moment it expired is pretty much the key.

For me it wasn't about the money - I make plenty and my fridge and deep freezer are full of plenty of store bought and wild-harvested protein. Mostly fish, but I do (legally) shoot a deer or two a year. I'm not exactly a "hunter" - i don't consider it a lifestyle and I don't take any joy out of it, other than the joy of knowing i have delicious deer. But my neighborhood is WAYYY overpopulated with deer. It's a city, as i said, and there are lots of deer/car accidents. The deer are packed in one forest, as are the coyotes. I've learned a lot about deer biology, and all the signs are evident of overpopulation. inferior antlers on the males, lack of vegetation below 4 feet (cuz they eat everything thats green) and smaller-than-average sized deer.

Despite the overpopulation, it's still no easy task to go out in the woods and find one to kill with archery tackle, as guns are illegal in the city. You gotta control your scent, learn the patterns, etc. It requires as much luck as skill. A free deer that was just smoked by a car is an easy decision as compared to the days and days of 4AM slogs into the woods.

But honestly, once you work deer into your diet you learn the difference between what I call Happy Full and Sad Full. I've never experienced sad full with venison - even when I've pigged out. Beef is almost always a sad full. So i try to go fish or deer for everything I can. But one 150 lb deer is only yielding 35 or 40 lbs of worthwhile meat. (Almost the same amount of the stuff full of sinew goes into my Dog's food) So yeah - roadkill deer? If i know when it died (and in this case i did) why not.

not the user you replied to, but this is enlightening.

can you elaborate more on the difference between happy full and sad full?

Is road kill deer noticeably tougher than hunted deer?

Sad full you already know - but you may not know it as sad full without the contrast to happy full.

Consider-
you just pigged out on delicious pizza, thanksgiving, a 16 oz ribeye, McDonalds, or something. Your belly is full, you feel sleepy (food coma) its kind of a good feeling because you're fat & happy, but you also have that "ugh I'm never eating again" thought that creeps up into your mind. The idea of even moving is like.. ick.

Happy full - you just finished pigging out on tenderloin of venison. your belly is totally full, but you get this surge of energy. There;s no tiredness. In fact, its kind of the opposite. You want to go out to the driveway and shoot hoops or something. the idea of dessert is the last thing on your mind, but a nice aperitif or a cup of black coffee sounds awesome. As does a walk around town.

its like a tantric orgasm vs high school back of the car sex. if all you;ve ever known is backseat sex with a slam pig, you think its great. Then you experience tantra and you never want to go back.

So there you go. happy full.

It's common enough to not be strange, but there are lots of people who won't do it for hygienic/cost reasons, or time and effort. The people that take them usually either butcher it themselves, or know someone who does. Some people just don't like deer meat.
What's your location? I'm the same NC guy, and I can tell you that some people will give you meat if you pay the processing fee, they just want the antlers as a trophy. I don't agree with that; you should eat what you kill. I don't hunt, but I let people hunt on my land if they share the meat with me.

That sounds like a solid and well reasoned position. Do you ever sell your meat to the less fortunate or give some of it away? Is there ever a concern of predators encroaching on areas where people run into deer on the road?

it wasn't tougher, but there was a LOT more myoglobin because the deer didn't hang and properly bleed out. When i kill a hunted deer (during hunting season, AKA winter) its walk-in freezer cold outside, so I can quarter the carcass and hang the quarters in the garage and then them drip out into a kiddie pool for a few days. Then butcher up into portions, vacuum seal and freeze.

The roadkill deer had zero time to hang and i wasn't interested in aging it. I wanted to get it frozen as fast as possible to kill whatever bacteria was present. So yeah, when i thawed it and started to slice it up, there was a shit-ton of myoglobin.

but, i mean, i pulled the backstops - aka the most fork-tender part of the deer. its never ever tough, even on a mature 5 or 6 year old buck.

so final verdict - it was slightly "gamier" than the hunted stuff, but hardly noticeable.

Not OP, but the main difference is that the meat can be bruised, as well as organs rupturing, which is bad.
A deer hit my mirror once and broke it's neck; I didn't take it home but saw it the next morning, and it was gone a few hours later.

I see, thank you both for the information.

I feel you OP, I live in NC outside of Charlotte. The deer here are overpopulated, and I encourage people to hunt on my land to help control it. The people that do understand that one less deer is one less car wreck that may hurt humans. They also eat gardens something wicked.
My friend was hunting on a reservation once, and had a doe walk up to their camp site. He tossed her a home grown jalapeno, which she ate, chewed, and gave him the biggest 'fuck you' look an animal can do to a human.
(Shit was so cash)

I don't think freezing actually kills bacteria

It doesn't kill them, but it does stop them. It would be more accurate to say you want to cool it down ASAP to halt any bacterial activity that may be present.

>Do you ever sell your meat to the less fortunate or give some of it away?

I never really understood this. Commercial sale of fish is obviously a massive part of the economy, but selling wild-harvest land-ungulate meat is an ethics/hunting etiquette no-no. But yeah, I give a ton of meat away, and it would never occur to me to sell it. Most states have a "hunters for the hungry" program where game butchers give the thrifty cuts to food banks and homeless shelters, and then give the choice cuts to the hunter. When i had butchers do my deer i always did this, but now that I cut my own, not so much. And while i'd never sell meat, Trading meat is game on! A buddy who does electrical work wired up my outdoor motion lights in exchange for some delicious deer filet mignon. win/win for all parties involved.

>Is there ever a concern of predators encroaching on areas where people run into deer on the road?

There aren't any wolves or mountain lions around, so no. I don't think a coyote would ever attack an adult human (maybe a kid?) and all the other predators are too small to threaten a person. bobcats, fisher cats, foxes - that kind of thing. But NOBODY here has an outdoor cat. they all disappear, presumably to coyotes.

Not OP, but predators can be a concern with livestock.
(Same NC user)
My Sister's in-laws own a lot of farm land, mostly beef cattle. Coyote's can be a big problem.
They killed 3 cows a few months ago, and had to have a coyote party.
5 people: 3 with guns, 2 with infrared lights.
The leader calls out 'scan' and the lights go up and scan the area. Any Coyote's seen are shot by the gun people.
It can be difficult. The cattle stay in large groups, and if there are coyotes they will migrate to the humans for safety. It makes shooting more difficult.

NC guy here.
One of the guys who hunts around here was laying out deer corn, and put rabbit piss on his boots to keep the scents natural. He heard fast movement behind him, and turned with the flashlight to see what it was.
Two coyotes. They smelled the rabbit piss and pursued, but once they saw it was a human they scattered.
One ran into a junk car in the back yard; he heard it ping off with a Yelp.
I support you trading meat for wiring!

>but selling wild-harvest land-ungulate meat is an ethics/hunting etiquette no-no.

It's also illegal to sell the meat in the USA because it hasn't been USDA inspected. You can, however, give it away.

I get a lot of venison from my local butcher every year for next to nothing. It works like this:
-hunters shoot deer & bring to the butcher for processing
-butcher does the work but sometimes the hunter doesn't come pick up their meat
-after a certain time, the butcher sells the unclaimed meat. They aren't allowed to charge for the venison itself, but they can charge for their labor. Or if they make sausage from the meat they can charge for the casings plus the pork they added to the venison.
-score delicious venison for the mere processing charge.

>Not hunting with sub-sonic rounds and your can suppressor

[Spoiler]Jk atf don't shoot my dog pls[/spoiler]

Thanks man, all good to know.

I think the squeamishness comes from not knowing if the animal was diseased before dying, or how long ago the thing was hit and what might have started gnoshing on it in the meantime. One generally assumes that farmed meat is made from non-diseased animals that are immediately processed and frozen/refrigerated in a relatively sterile environment because there's an implied liability.

You're exactly the kind of ass that gives hunters a bad name. Wildlife hunting regulations exist for a reason, you piece of shit, and that's to keep a population available for everyone to enjoy. I hope you get caught, they take all your weapons, and throw the book at you.

Why do you think countries that didn't have regulations in place have virtually no wild game?

>You're exactly the kind of ass that gives hunters a bad name.

What makes you say that? He said he was sticking to his 2 deer legal limit, not poaching everything that walked past his line of sight.

the hunter who gave hunters a bad name is the guy who says you should shoot with sub-sonic rounds and a silencer, not OP. As well as a faggot, obviously

You know damn well that kind of equipment is used for four, things all illegal: poaching from a vehicle, poaching at night, poaching out of season, and poaching on private property without landowner permission.

i used to go to a butcher who did this. turned out he was breaking all kinds of laws.
>to process game AND have a regular cattle, have to be in separate freezers. Separate cutlery, too. basically follow jewish kosher rules to make sure no wild stuff ever touches USDA stuff. he wasn't doing that.

>homogenizing processing. He would cut deer in batches, then give "a little of this and a little of that" to each customer's frozen pile. the law says can't do this. protein from each deer goes to the hunter or gets donated.
>skimming choice cuts and selling as farmed venison. I always wondered why the butcher insisted on cutting medallions out of my deer instead of giving me the tenderloins as logs. Then one day i did some math - counted up the medallions and added the thickness. came to like 12 inches total. Even a tiny deer should yield about 4 and a half, maybe even 5 feet of backstop. Noticed he had delicious farm-raised tenderloin for sale for $38 a lb.
>and this one REALLY pissed me off. VA state hunters for the hungry program pays the butcher $40 for each deer it processes on behalf of a hunter who wants to donate the meat. Hunter kills a deer, keeps the backstops, donates the rest, butcher gets paid about half the processing cost from the state, hunter pays the rest. the poor get delicious deer. everyone wins.

THIS fucking butcher was taking everyone's tag numbers down, then submitting hunters for the hungry paperwork on EVERY FUCKING DEER he processed. literally taking taxpayer money earmarked for meat for the poor, then selling the meat. I realized he was doing this when I applied to Hunters for the Hungry to get 30 lbs of deer meat to make a big batch of chili for a homeless. Called the butcher "Sorry we don't have any meat." I knew for a fact guys had donated deer just that week.

So i called the warden. he got inspected by the USDA. Huge fines. they almost shut his ass down.

it COULD be for legal nighttime hog hunting or legal nighttime Coyote hunting. but yeah. mostly poachers.

I'm very happy that you reported him, and he got what was coming.
We're all in this human experience together; don't take from those who have less than you.

It was a joke senpai I don't even own a gun
Calm down its only a post on an Chinese dog preparation bulletin board

I put down a deer that was horribly injured in a car accident. I was allowed to get a harvest tag and processed it. Since I killed it by cutting its throat, it bled out quickly, which also relaxed the muscle as it went into shock before death. It's some of the most tender wild venison I've ever had.