What's the best e-reader and why?

What's the best e-reader and why?

Bump because why the fuck is there not an e-reader primer in the sticky what kind of board is this

I don't know but that was easily the best sherlock holmes adventure of that book

The Kindle Paperwhite is ok

Is it good for pirating books?

Calibre conversion takes like 3 seconds, don't let memers tell you otherwise

Absolutely. I have like 50 books on it riight now and none of them were purchased.
Just download Calibre on your PC to convert any epub or pdf (i wouldn´t recommend this one) to mobi and you are set.

>pdf
Paperwhites can read pdfs natively, there's no need for conversion since it always fucks everything up, but pdfs aren't great for e-readers anyhow even after the update that made pdf reading faster

OK, thanks homies.

Just buy a phone with decent screen.

Phones are inferior to modern e-ink ereaders in basically every way that actually matters for displaying pages of text.

or get a YotaPhone

And now you're still stuck with thin small phone screens, tablet or e-reader sized devices can display whole pages of books with any issue, while phones squish pages into 1/2's or even 1/3's in meatier books, chopping paragraphs in half between pages making dense works hell to read.

Like people said before, I quite like the paperwhite. Have the light turned almost all the way down, which is nice for reading at night without needing a lamp like the original.

I also sometimes read Manga on it. It's not Ideal but depending on the Manga it usually works "well enough" but you can tell the system is not made for it. When you suddenly go a page back in manga it takes AGES to load and since it can't "detect" panels zooming is a bit of pain and since it's all "one size" if the font is too small or your eyesight bad you're fucked for manga.

But if all that is no problem for you, I CAN recommend reading Oyasumi Punpun on it.

Just got one and reading on it rn. It's a solid experience. Can you explain why it's only ok? I can't imagine wanting anything else from an ereader

what book is that?

Stoner, pretty good

Kindle's are for peasants.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

real books user

That's way too big. It's for pdfs and shit. Why would you want an ereader that's bigger than an actual book?

You can read much more digitally than physically and for much cheaper. I prefer real books and always will but that's just the fact of the matter. A kindle is a one time payment for endless free books

anyone find one that's good for pdfs with margins? i use my old kindle 3 or whatever it is for normal stuff, but never got into pdfs on it. can't really read on my tablet just doesnt happen for me

will these things ever get several-sheets-of-construction-paper thin? arent they a bit thick for some ink slushing around and a bit of flash storage?

I love pocketbooks.

How are you otherwise going to read that .pdf from Zettel's Traum?

what is the best place to download .mobi books?

>not supporting your local book store

what is the best place to get free books tho?

Kobo Glo HD
no Kindles are absolute shit software wise

there isn't
download epubs and convert

you should use gen.lib.rus.ec for everything anyway. If you're lucky enough toget a solid .mobi then you're good to go

is that site better than bookz from the sticky?

Bookfi

The best e-reader is none of them. You should be reading everything you can (generally speaking, not literally always) in their first *editions* or facsimiles thereof (not their first *impressions*, biblionoobs, don't get riled up). If you can't afford that, go to a fucking library. Jesus christ I hate poorfags. The only thing kindles are good for is genreshit, guilty pleasures, and forgettable contemporary garbage.

Oh no, it's amazing.
But it's my first e-reader and i don´t know about any others, so i just say it´s ok.
I agree, i can´t think of anything more an e-reader needs

faster and leaner, yeah. Bookz has 100% everything, library genesis just has 90% of everything

plus, dealing with irc batch searches is annoying as shit. there you just literally search for a book, click, and download. It should be everyone's go to

Kobo Glo HD is more or less the exact equivalent but is more format-agnostic, meaning it can handle mobi/epub/etc where the Kindle only reads mobi. The Kobo apparently also has more options with regards to controlling font and backlighting.

If you're using Calibre to manage your ebook library, the format support becomes a moot issue.

If you were buying books, the Kindle supposedly has a pricing advantage because Amazon forces discounts that Rakuten can't match. I don't know how true this is.

>convert any epub or pdf (i wouldn´t recommend this one)

Can you explain why? I've downloaded tons of epub/pdf files and I have converted them to .mobi

Only had 1 issue with a book out of 150

>The Kobo apparently also has more options with regards to controlling font and backlighting.
this is the best part
>more fonts
>infinite resizing/formatting options
>can actually fully turn off the backlight
on the kindle it stays on 1% or higher at all times

The one thats cheap and shows your strings of letters. Jesus, who gives a shit?

If I wasn't poor, I'd pre-order this in a heartbeat.

what the fuck? this doesnt make sense
kobo aura 2
>1024x768
>6" screen
>$119
kobo glo hd
>1448 x 1072
>6" screen
>$90

someone fill me in on what I'm missing

I read a lot of books on archaeology, and they are almost all in pdf.

I would say significant issues on 9/10, the ones that come out well are obviously word documents that have been saved as PDF, and already have OCR. Best way to handle PDF is to crop out page numbers and headers/footers with briss or acrobat and just read as it is

I've been using #bookz
really brings me back that does.

USE BRISS TO CUT OUT MARGINS

>not reading big books

Bibliotik

I dont recommend pdfs because converting them to mobi messes things up and reading it natively is a pain in the ass. I only read pdfs when i can't find them on other formats
Epubs are fine.

Here's your (you) now get off this board

I have the newest Nook. It's around $100 and has plenty of space, a backlight, a fantastic display, minimalist design, and it's waterproof too

>To Sherlock Holmes she is always *the* woman.
>he literally never calls Irene "the woman" for the rest of the series' existence
post yfw you realize Doyle's a hack fraud

This

E books suck. I hate the feeling of not really owning anything, plus it's much harder to search through a book, even with the electronic features. It just seems less "real".

>faggots think they read "texts"
>they haven't even overstepped platonism yet

I bet you also refrain from masturbating in public, lol

How's the screen relative to the paperwhite?
I read in the bath and get sleepy as fuck and one day my paperwhite is drowning. I can feel it. I have had to ricebag it once already.

Daniel Jackson?

get a kobo aura h20. literally designed for your use case scenario

How many people have actually used enough e-readers to answer this question? I have a Kobo glo HD and it's fine, but I couldn't tell you whether it's the best.

I have the same, and I only consider it the best because everything I know about other e-readers make them seem worse

the paperwhite, for instance, cannot turn the backlight all the way off. add the lack of epub support on top of that (i know it's a non-issue with calibre) and it's just the same ereader but worse. I also thought I read that the kindle doesn't have as many font and formatting options

Moon reader is pretty good for android devices.