Be me

>be me
>recently published a paper solving an open problem in my field; could very well have real effects on society in the next 10 years
>name mentioned alongside the problem on Wikipedia now and everything

The goal is generally to do something of note, isn't it? This feels so empty. I'm going to continue to work on interesting problems, but this whole publication chasing bit is just not worth the effort.

Has anybody else on Veeky Forums been in this position?

Post Wikipedia link or you're a bigger hack than Nietzsche and visually confirm that is your work/you.

that's huge user! Congratulations!

What's the problem/field? Have you thought about turning it into a business?

I will maintain my anonymity while on Veeky Forums, thanks. The point of this thread isn't to bolster my own recognition, but to prod at how other people have felt after having done something that should grant some sense of accomplishment.

For the record, this paper underwent major peer review both at my place of employment (a sizable institution very sensitive about its reputation) and during the submission process. I also presented this paper at a large, notable conference, and it was accepted well by all of the attendees. I have no doubt in the quality of my work.

The work lies in the intersection of queuing theory, information theory, and provable security. What I contributed is a base principle that solves a highly world-relevant problem; it would be put to much better use if made available as an open standard.

There actually will be some money involved for hardware vendors and players in the practical side of my industry, but it would take too much monetary overhead for me to become involved in that.

>not making it an open standard

You should be ashamed of yourself.

On the minuscule chance this actually happened and isn't just bait, no, the entire point of this thread is to brag

kill yourself faggot

You are a hack.

I'm calling bait.

I'm legitimately interested in having a conversation with other browsers of Veeky Forums who have solved or helped to solve important problems.

Though I don't necessarily care what you think of me, I still assert that this isn't bait, and I assert that I am not a hack. I can't help but sense that my claim to have done something important threatens you. If the prospect of somebody else accomplishing something makes you upset, I suggest you work on that. In the meantime, feel free to ignore the thread: your frustration isn't the topic.

I haven't solved any "important problems" but I have published two papers in my field and felt a similar ennui. I don't necessarily think its a bad thing. I've realized what matters is whether you enjoyed the process, if you did then it doesn't matter what the end result is. If you didn't, perhaps this isn't the work for you.

I would say that I enjoyed the process of producing a solution, and I would certainly say that I enjoy the work aspect of my work.

The one part I do not like, however, is the bureaucracy involved in publishing. It seems so inefficient, but it's also necessary in order to make your work known and relevant.

The bureaucracy is indeed a madhouse full of ingratiation and red-tape. It's object is to deter rather than promote, but as you yourself have clearly experienced, important work gets the notice it deserves.

I'd say scihub represents everything wrong with academia and publication today (in the fact that scihub's existence is necessary, not scihub itself.)

Don't focus on the results, love the process, show other people the results. When your work is done, forget it, thus it lasts forever.

I'd say that sounds like good advice. I'm definitely going to continue to work on open problems, but I've certainly learned to not chase results. It's much less stressful that way.

>make thread on Veeky Forums claiming thing
>refuse to back it up
smells legit

This

Sucess is empty of anything but a brief thrill that lasts - for me - for about five minutes, tops. In that moment I get a glimpse of how miniscule and insignificant I am to the world, and how little any of my efforts matter.

Satisfaction is fleeting. Dissatisfaction is perpetual. I don't have the capacity to be jubilant over my own work - I almost enjoy others' successes more. The only real reward is the work itself.

You should be a businessman and get some big bucks, then You will probably be more happy with your succes

I used my real Gmail in a causal encounters craiglist relay once and then I kept doing it. Also buy a bum a meal today and you'll be better off.

Publication is boring and useless. It's that thing you do so you can put food on the table so you can spend the rest of your time doing math.

No, it sounds like he would be dissatisfied with success in business as well.

Jealously is an ugly thing

Good on you OP