Friendly reminder to buy from your local books stores, not Amazon, and support local business

Friendly reminder to buy from your local books stores, not Amazon, and support local business.

if they want my business maybe they should 1. stock the books i want 2. price better

this, I went down to the bookstore today and the only philosophy they sold was by Zizek,Hitchens and Dawkins, I shit you not. The girl who worked their didn't even know who Max Stirner was.

my local store has terrible selection and even worse pricing
i'm in there a lot to browse but i can't support them as it is right now

omg you dont even know stirner!? i mean come on! you guys say you want business. well... here. it. is. hello!!?? stirner anyone? seriously god

But I only read illegally obtained eBooks.

I work at a bookstore. The books you guys want in don't sell. I've ordered them and we just have to return them because no one buys them unless I hand sell them. And you guys are the perfect example of people I can't hand sell to because you won't talk to me. "Excuse me sir you've been wandering aimlessly for quite some time, is there anything I can help you with?" "No" And then you proceed to exit the store because you're uncomfortable someone talked to you.

Returning to the first point though, we sell Ulysses like twice a year. If that barely sells, how often do you think more obscure stuff does?

We are full price because we're in a rich as fuck neighborhood and people appreciate the service enough to shop with us. I don't like it either and have tried to get us to do used books but it's a lot of extra work.

Feel free to ask me questions or berate me.

jokes on you, i buy books by the kilo

Also try asking the employees to stock some books you like. I regularly take suggestions from people who seem like they know, for example, sci-fi, since I don't read much of it.

There's only one local store here. They only sell romance, popular releases, Ann Coulter-type books, and a few of local interest. The few used stores are nice though.

I don't have a local book store. The closest place that sells books (besides the fucking Walmart down the road) is Books A Million an hour's drive away. I don't think I have to tell you guys how much THAT place sucks.

Thanks sock head

i don't think anyone blames the stores for not having john hawkes bibliography or anything, that's just how it is. books aren't a big deal anymore and if you want more "obscure" you just go to a used book store instead.

I do sometimes. I shop at Half Price Books pretty often, which almost counts as local since I live in their flagship city. I shop at the little used bookstores chain around here too, since they have an actually reasonable trade-in policy (1/4th of cover price). There's also a local shop for books in translation/independent publishers that I'd like to go to more, since they feature a lot of my favorite publishers.

rather support my local library, it's much better than most librarie/book stores and is full to the brim with great books that NO ONE checks out

the only bookstore in my town is Barnes and Noble which is amazon tier. Used bookstores are cool but they are confusing af and like said I don't want to talk to anyone there. so I can just get what I want on amazon easier.

There aren't any good bookstores here, there's just an Indigo (Canada's B&N) with a Starbucks to one side and brimming with annoying hags and YA. Want to find anything good? search for an hour or use their useless digital catalogue. I ordered my copy of the Recognitions from their online store, and it cost $40 bucks and took three weeks to arrive. Also, all the parking is taken by people just there for the Starbucks.

There's an erotic fiction bookstore somewhere too, that's the only local bookstore.

There are no book stores where I live, and even the charity stores only have those 99p romance novels that only 55 year-old spinsters read.

The next city over is better, but the Waterstones still has a better selection (and way cheaper too) than the three indie stores I know of.

Then tell the bookstore what you want, have them order it, and buy it through them rather than buying the book on amazon

That sell stays in their inventory and if you and others do that enough their buyer will notice that and change their stock.

or you know buy where it's the cheapest and give the money to people who need it more than bookstore owners

but they are expensive as fuck

Plebs deserve to go out of business. Because the shop didn't have any Stirner, I decided to buy two copies of the ego and its own on Amazon instead. Yes, you read that right, two copies.

I also let out a loud fart in earshot of the woman to establish my displeasure

You don't understand business but talk about it like you do.

You're the only pleb here

Explain how a shop 10 minutes walk away from one of the top universities in the world not having a good philosophy selection makes sense from a business point of view

Yes, I could order it, but it will come faster (and cheaper) via Amazon.

If you do that, you support *retail business* not literature business of your local area.

books-a-million isn't a real bookstore
and i'm not driving an hour every week to go to a real bookstore

But I support my local bookstore.
And the kiosk that sells used books.
They have good deals all the time.
I never used amazon.That site confuses me.

I figured as much. I commute by train, so I decided to take a look at the bookstore by the train station, and I kid you not, they didn't have a single book which could reasonably be considered "literature". It was a pretty disappointing experience, but I guess it's true that people don't read "the classics".
When I can, I order online directly from the publisher (if they have a (partnered) shop), otherwise Amazon.

I buy most of my books from a nice place on my university campus. The owner is some 80 year old rich guy who buys used books even if he already has 10 copies. The top floor is all new books, and the entire basement is full used books that he somehow manages to keep alphabetized. I get a lot of great deals on used Philosophy and Classic literature that students sell as soon as they're done with their class.

Fuck the Barnes and Nobel, though. They kicked the smaller bookstore we had out and they price way too high.