Alright I'm starting to feel like I have a IQ of 0. The google calculator says the equation 20/5(2x2) = 16...

Alright I'm starting to feel like I have a IQ of 0. The google calculator says the equation 20/5(2x2) = 16. Did I just go to a parallel universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/image/9d7fBoxwNFWoMV2V8t1-Ww
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pemdas

I thought it was bedmas
brackets
exponents
division
multiplication
addition
subtraction

Multiplication and division have the same priority. So you do whichever is first.

bidmas is common core?

20/5(2*2)
20/10*10
I am doing it right?

Pemdas... and you just do the md and as from left to right.
20/5 (2*2)
20/5 (4)
4 (4)

Right i guess it's now same priority and work from left to right. Did they just change this? I don't remember two correct answers when i did math.

>I
THEY'RE EXPONENTS YOU NIGGER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Different calculators do it differently

20/5(2x2)
(20/5)x(4/1)
4x4

jej

What is going on in this thread, the answer is obviously and unambiguously 1 if you knew what is actually going on

The answer is that if you use / as an operator without either clearly defining it or unambiguously using parenthesis you're a fucking idiot

Brianlette

It's a poorly written bait problem. If someone tells you to solve it you tell them to learn how to write equations properly.

It should be either
20/(5*(2*2)) which gives 1
or
(20/5)(2*2) which gives 16

Nope, you only do yhe multiplying thingy you did with the shit in the brackets if it is something like 5(2+2) not with 5(2*2).
PS: I don't know mathematical terms in English

Is this a real thread, I know its Veeky Forums... But come on this is Veeky Forums

Don't listen to this brainlet, there's no such a thing as pemdas. The computer is just reading everything from left to right, which I believe is also the convention when you have ambiguous notation.

Parentheses first, you get 20/5(4). 20/5 = 4, * 4 = 16.

That image is fake. The "old way" gives multiplication higher precedence than division, which is simply wrong - both have equal precedence.

The actually correct answer is to use non-ambiguous notation.

+1

It's the liberal's new way of education, everyone is correct.

in fact, if a kid answered "your mama", it would be "equally correct"

Branlette is french for jacking off

warosu.org/sci/image/9d7fBoxwNFWoMV2V8t1-Ww

I for Indices.

Lrn2parentheses

>ITS TEH LIBRULS
gtfo fgt pls

I think I see what mistake is made.
Before computers were mainstream, it was much more common to represent division vertically.
Vertical representation of division inherently treats the denominator and divisor as being in brackets, so if you wrote 20 / 5 (2*2) like that with everything as either a denominator or divisor, it would be 20 / (5 (2*2)).
So I believe that this confusion is the result of an incorrect conversion of a vertical division to a horizontal division.

The old way is "if you think ssomeone may doubt the order of operations even a little bit - put parentheses, you lazy fuck

actually the the line that makes a fraction i.e. / is actually type of parentheses called the vinculum, therefore the answer is 1.