DELICIOUS SMOKED MEATS GENERAL

Anyone else busting out the smoker for the Super Bowl? Went to the butcher today and picked up a brisket, rack of St. Louis ribs, and some sausage links. Was thinking 10 hours for the brisket, 6 for the ribs, 2 for the sausage. Have a combo of peach and maple wood chips to use.

Game starts at 6:30 est and I want everyone to start eating at least a half hour before. The brisket needs to sit wrapped in a cooler undisturbed for 2 hours after cooking, which puts it going on the smoker around 6:00am. Most likely I'll prep everything the night before.

The things we do for love I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/what_goes_in_the_water_pan.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

10-13 for the brisket, 4-6 for the ribs 2 for the sausage sounds about right.
come back with pics. i look forward to seeing your smoked meats.

you can smoke my meat.

I'm doing an 8 lb pork shoulder for probably 8 or 9 hours on hickory for pulled pork sandwiches

What is the actual purpose of the liquid in the water pan? Should I use just water or would adding things like apple juice, herbs, spices, etc. help at all?

anything more than seven pounds usually takes me about 9-11 counting the time where it's wrapped in foil and stuffed in a cooler.
this serves the purpose of the temperature getting nice and even through the entire shoulder, getting its carry-over cook and then cooling slightly. always leave it in there for about 45 minutes after it comes to 203F on the grill.

I'm smoking a rack of St. Louis myself with apple.

im not.

Football is a fag sport. Boring as fuck and too many commercials. All football fans should kill themselves.

Doing 2 pork butts

Going to a crawfish boil

what are you smoking in?

also any suggestions for a relatively small smoker?

Too cold where I live. Wouldn't be able to get it hot enough.
:(

The electric ones aren't bad for someone looking to get started. The 30 inch Masterbuilt one can be under $200 if you get it on sale.

You have a set temperature, so no regulating and messing around with vents, has a meat thermometer built in, easy cleanup.

I smoke on a Weber kettle. Not a big model but not tiny either. When I get my own place, I'm definitely upgrading to a bigger model, but still getting a kettle. This was left here by my old roommate who didn't want to move it out. It's good for just smoking enough for myself or one other person. Can do a rack of ribs or a pork butt. Handful of turkey legs and wings.

They're really nice for versatility. Grill or smoke. And charcoal > gas (don't tell Hank Hill).

Do you live on the North Pole? Even then you and be able to. I'm smoking at 46 F degrees here today, but this is a heatwave for us currently. And I know the BBQ Pit Boys post videos with snow on the ground. They posted one this morning already and said it was 36 F.

That's nice, but what are you going to smoke for the Super Bowl?

receiving a gay blowjob still makes you gay, faggot

Samefag here. Just checked the temp and it's 35 F here. Gonna throw my ribs on in a little.

Getting ready to throw them on. Grill's heating up.

Consistency - Ideally you want to keep your temp as close to target as possible. If my target is 225-235 degrees and water boils at 212 the steam will help me achieve a stable temp in that area. Also, every time someone opens the smoker they let all the heat out and cold air rushes in. After the smoker is closed the steam from the water pan will readily bring the temp back up to at least 212 degrees. There is no reason to put anything other than WATER in the water pan, you will not notice any flavor difference in the meat.

Moisture - This one is just common sense, helps keep the outside of the meat from dying out.

Just posted this in the other Superbowl thread. Little plate of happiness. Pork, Stuffed Peppers and Mac n Cheese. All from a MES 40".

Wew lad. There is so much wrong here that I don't know where to start. Stay away from competitions and you'll be fine my mentally deficient friend. Also please stop being a faggot and spreading bad information. Idiots like you that think you know much more than you actually do are bad for the pastime.

A lot of the smoke flavours that develop via the mailliard reaction is actually water soluble.
Guess what happens when you steam it.
If you wouldn't steam a steak after searing it, you shouldn't steam the water pan either.

>Tells someone they are wrong and hurls insults but offers no evidence to the contrary.

"There is so much wrong here that I don't know where to start". I stated there were 2 reasons for using a water pan. It helps keep temp, and it creates moisture. Start with that.

>water doesn't boil at 212
Education system South of the Mason Dixon, everyone.

Not that guy. I'm SmokingRibsFagGuy.

I usually just put water in my water pan. Or I'll use ACV, and I normally spritz or mop with a mixture of something.

I've seen a ton of videos of BBQ vets that use other things in their pans besides water. I've also seen a ton that only use water.

But if you think about it, using something besides water would probably help with flavor, but probably not a huge difference, why some people only use water.

Or maybe you're so fucking wrong that it's not worth the effort to point it all out.
Cooking is very much a subject that rewards monkey see monkey do, and actual understanding of food sciences/how tastes come to be is often tedious and not very rewarding (I.e. five thousand years of Chinese traditions was easily waved away with a shake of msg)
So no, I won't be criticizing every single little mistake someone makes on a Ecuadorian clam shell collection exchange, just pointing out the really retarded ones like in

I'm no professional, and I don't cook competitively. The Maillard Reaction is something I've never heard of so thank you for that. If they are water soluble I wouldn't have guessed it, my food comes out with plenty of flavor. Either way it's not something I'd debate, guy asked why people use water pans not how or if they affect flavor.

>Still name calling with no fact based counter arguments, People should just believe me because I'm right.
Your autism is showing. I'm not a proponent for or against a water pan. I've cooked with and without them. The guy asked why people used them. It was a simple question. I gave a simple answer. I wasn't trying to sound smart, I just provided an example to help them understand the answer. What exactly is so far up your ass?

>Why do people eat shit
>It's good for back pain
>No it's not
>I DUNNO THTS JUST WHAT PPL SAY STAHP BEING A DIK OMFG
Eck's dee

I just use water in mine as well, I've used other stuff like apple juice and cider vinegar without noticing much. I don't think what gets put in the water pan affects flavor as much as the quality of the meal, rub and type of wood used.

To settle this assblasted argument:

The water pan is used to keep moisture in the smoker/grill to keep the meat from drying out.

To use a liquid other than water would to be to capture the flavor of said other liquid.

I'm not a rocket scientist nor a BBQ expert. But it makes sense in theory, but if I had to guess, the flavor probably isn't that pronounced. Just taking a guess on this last part.

Quick question

I'm using the 3 2 1 method for these ribs.

After I pull them from my kettle, do I wrap again and let rest or just let rest on a cutting board?

>Why do people do this?
>Because this and here's why
>BUT THATS FUCKING WRONG YOU PIECE OF SHIT
>Why's that wong?
>BECAUSE IT JUST IS. FUCK YOU. SUCK DICK.
>You're an idiot.

Fixed that for you

No need to re-wrap

Thanks m80

If you use vinegar (and just vinegar) it can actually get pretty pronounced.

What using beer? I've seen some people do this?

They are of dumb?

Article on what to use in your water pan and its purpose. the "retard" is correct. the guy that doesn't believe water boils at 212 in a vacuum is of course, wrong.

Just put hot water in your water pan.

amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/what_goes_in_the_water_pan.html

Have you actually read this
It all but says that steaming is the last thing you want in your smoker

Yes, the problem is that I grew up in an area north of the mason dixon line, so we valued educated.
Try rereading it, cletus. You'll get it.

Kek. It's been awhile since I've seen anyone rekt quite so hard, even on Veeky Forums.

RibsFagGuy here reporting in.

Wrapped my ribs about 20 minutes ago.

I'll post pics when I understood unwrap and when they're done.

FUCKING phone.

I'll post pics when I unwrap them.

Did you just say butts

I think we need one of these threads to be permenantly on the board instead of the same shut ever week like 'muh favorite local chain/fast food'.

Good luck on your brisket, user. I normally smoke mine between 225-250 F for 10-12 hours. Dry rub only, don't be that guy that fucks up a beautiful brisket by slathering it in a bunch of sugar based sauce.

A water pan should only be used as a heat diffuser to alow of for indirect / low and slow cooking

2 racks of ribs and GOAT boudin. Tried smoking some tamales earlier, 8/10 would do again.

RibsFagGuy here

Sorry I got caught up. Here's what they looked like when I pulled them

Here's sliced on the plate I had

Those look awesome. Nice work.

Thanks, senpai. Ate half the plate without BBQ sauce and the other half with. They were great both ways. As a novice, these were definitely the best I've ever made. Some of the best I've tasted. Not competition-level though. I bit into one and the rest of the meat just fell off the bone, but definitely tasted great with or without sauce.