Can someone explain the female book blogger/vlogger phenom? I have run into these people to workshop my novel...

Can someone explain the female book blogger/vlogger phenom? I have run into these people to workshop my novel, and quickly realized that I'm dealing with retards. Where do these people come from? Why do they come from it? Why is their taste so awful? Why have they revolved their lives around such low grade works, and why are they so desperate to parade around their mediocrity?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/2016/07/12/485087469/me-me-me-the-rise-of-narcissism-in-the-age-of-the-selfie
web.cortland.edu/andersmd/ERIK/sum.HTML
youtube.com/user/PionsAndQuarks
youtube.com/watch?v=rPvA-aBN5eE
youtube.com/watch?v=9D5ezfAwunc
youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

harry potter and twilight did this to us
hunger games whatever the fuck ass niggas

>Can someone explain
People like looking at cute girls. Girls like to read shallow novels about relationships, this has been known for a while pic related. Some of the latter are cute, and modern media allows hem to project their cuteness to a wide audience in return for validation, or the prospect thereof.

>Why
The feedback mechanism is simple. They post pictures of themselves chatting about their execrable taste in fiction, anywhere from several to tens of thousands of people tell them how great they are, so they keep doing it.

they want a fun hobby and they're not into athletic shit or video games, what's wrong w/ that

did she delete her tumblr too? I looked around for it a few months ago and i couldn't find it.

goddammit Veeky Forums

>why are they so desperate to parade around their mediocrity?
This is something happening on a MUUUCH larger scale, far beyond the vlogger thing.

To address your question: dunno. But i share your curiosity.

They're trying to dispense writing advice even though they only just talk about what shitty books they've read? Sheeeit.

Most women are incapable of privately enjoying something. They need to put it on display.

Any suggestions for recent works that discuss the linkages between narcissism and social media?

Literally nothing. If you like shitty genre fiction, it's perfectly alright. People have liked bad fiction for centuries now.

npr.org/2016/07/12/485087469/me-me-me-the-rise-of-narcissism-in-the-age-of-the-selfie

you bunch of dinguses

I liked it

No she still has tumblr, but it's a new one.

Women like to talk and show themselves. Betas like to listen because they need a surrogate friend. It's the same reason let's plays and ASMR are popular.

If only we could kill everyone who watches this shit.

I've thought about this a little.

People (at least young people) need a sort of identity to try and fit comfortably into the world. Being a 'bookworm' is an identity and thus preferable to being a nobody who sits about and does nothing all day.

But some people aren't faithful that their identity is legitimate, and need some sort of recognition. Youtube does that. It doesn't matter whether they actually are good, because they just need to feel that they're doing something worthwhile.

I don't think this is unique to 'book bloggers' or tumblr users or women or anyone, but universal thing. It's the same here -- people get into literature because they think it's worthwhile and to not to be doing something worthwhile is unthinkable. It's just a comparatively pleb way to do it.

How are you even exposed to this shit unless you seek it out. To call it a "phenomenon" seems a stretch.

>mememe
Coincidence?

>Phenomenon
>a fact or situation that is observed to exist or happen, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question.

How is it not a phenomenon, then?

She looks like the waitress from IASIP

>3. a remarkable or exceptional person; prodigy; wonder.

Yes, I accept that women make videos of themselves discussing their favorite books. Probably because some women are intense readers, just of the female equivalent of genre fiction

This was perfect. Did we really scare this girl away from making cheerful videos about her books?

I've noticed this too, Millenials seem to be the most attentionwhoring generation ever and with the internet coming into play it's made us look incredibly boring and average. So now everyone is doing outlandish things to try and make themselves stand out from the crowd, even though ironically they are conforming to another crowd with the same beliefs, ideologies as them..

I think some of them aren't as bad as they come off, they just know they won't get views if they talk about Ulysses/Infinite Jest/Gravity's Rainbow/etc.

The search for identity and the ease of instant validation through social media. Hmm ... Sure I'll buy that premise for a dollar

that is beyond hilarious

She has an astrology blog too. Or at least she did like half a year ago.

>Millenials seem to be the most attentionwhoring generation ever
60s counterculture was plenty wew. Of course they didn't represent all.

Old hags aren't cute

Readers-and I use that term loosely-used to be marginalized and secluded, so called nerds and geeks, same as gamers. But with the onset of social media platforms like youtube and instagram, these outcasts found a hug box/circle jerk station (think Veeky Forums but less existentialism and DFW) which they held for a while, untill geek culture became a thing and it was taken over by chads and sluts. Consumerism is nice to voyeuristically observe and look up to, that's why there are so many Book Hauls and Book Shelf videos and very little concise reviews and discussions.

I think it's hard to say if it's a millenial thing. It definitely could be, but I would say that it's rather the youth of the present generation rather than something inherent to them. Once people get older this behavior tends to stop (unless they fail to grow up). My thinking was influenced by Erikson's stages, precisely the part where he said teenagers were fighting for an identity.

web.cortland.edu/andersmd/ERIK/sum.HTML

Dealio

has that slightly-lesbiany northern england girl made any more videos? the one who allegedly posts here

>slightly-lesbiany northern england girl who allegedly posts here
I'm interested

youtube.com/user/PionsAndQuarks
You mean her?

yes, thanks user.
i liked her old hair better

>Northern England
Is she a fellow Geordie?

i think it has to do with some peoples' general shit taste in media being taken advantage of by publishers and writers of YA. its become a genre with a huge following. if youre a youtuber for this its really easy to do things that make the products more enviable and give the community more interaction(giveaways, tweets, tumblrs about books/fandoms, reviews(ads)). its the same shit that surrounds certain types of low-grade anime and tv shows.

always forget about the piss bottles and lose my shit when i get to them.

not that far north you barbarian, she sounds more manc

>Manchester
>Northern

Manc is North you pleb

I just thought of something interesting it could be related too. Advertisement was incredibly big in the 80s and 90s in the form of television, with the rise of the internet happening in the late 90s and early 00s. People are paying less and less attention to what's around them and more online, being consumed by their smartphones, so this could be some kind of hungover effect with adverts imprinting onto people. Now instead of products, ideologies are becoming the new cash cow.

To add further to my point, I will call this the Coke t-shirt analogy, in the 80s Coca cola was big and people liked to wear the shirt because they liked the advertisement, the red being the thing which attracted them. Move forward to now in the 10s, instead of people watching Coca cola adverts on TV now they are reading about social justice issues on the internet and are subconsciously giving into the advert, now instead of wearing the shirt they are dying their hair in stupidly bright colours and wearing thick rimmed glasses to make themselves seem smarter to get their opinions across. Hopefully that is more clear.

It seems silly and pedantic to say > the red being the thing which attracted them.
But the general idea of the post appears to hold some degree of truth.

I believe the echo chamber that social media gives is to be blamed.
If all or most of your peers agrees and express blatantly on the internet that: "This is wrong and that is the correct" and if you also share the same beliefs this overexposition will work as the Coca Cola ads you mentioned and the "t-shirt behavior" will arise.

Now I'm trying to think what could've been used as an echo chamber much like how the internet is now used for in the Coke t-shirt analogy.

All stories are about relationships just an f.y.i.

I would say rock and roll were the echo box and trolling of the 80s. It was something people used to vent their frustrations into, similar sort of thing except the method has completely changed.

People always search for identity, especially young people. For some it is advertisements, for some it is ideology, for some it is literature, for some it is retro cars. I don't understand why you need to make this into a chance to make a potshot against smart phones.

I would say that people would wear the T-shirt because it was legitimate -- coke is a recognized brand, and so to wear a coke shirt is to be recognizable, even if that's a bit of a stretch. I didn't live through the 80s and so I'm not going to try and conjecture about that period.

People who die their hair colors and wear thick glasses are trying to create an individual image for themselves, even if it is influenced by the people they admire. The opinions don't matter; The fact that they have their own opinions is what they care about. They could be anything, so long as it instilled a sense of uniqueness.

The echo chamber of social media gives legitimacy to them; It leads them into believing their ideas are correct and thus makes them feel better about having them. I suppose it's like the coke shirt in that there is a perceived quality to the coke shirt that they liked. But I believe the insecure nature of youth is actually what is to blame.

Think more literally. People's echo chambers would be the opinions of their friends. Imagine three liberal girls who sit and do nothing but talk liberally all day. That's an echo chamber. Interesting analogy with rock&roll, though.

Yes, a love triangle between the reader, the writer and the subject.

>she got a book published before you

Veeky Forums BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=rPvA-aBN5eE

>you will never fuck XXXtine while smacking her over the head with literature

It is not my ambition to be published but rather to create a great work. I don't care if it burns after I die, so long as I do.

I bet you also want to live the literary lifestyle you fucking poser.

Cute. CUTE!

youtube.com/watch?v=9D5ezfAwunc

I already am, motherfucker

It's fun to watch a cute girl talk about stuff you like. Not really complicated.

you like rubbish YA pulp? ayyyyy lmao

that's an insane/untrue statement
do people really assume that because you put your face on the internet you like/are obsessed with yourself?
plus most of these popular girls are making money, it's about that not narcissism
google codpieces
all of you saying young women are the worst most shallow attention hungry people to ever have existed
just...google codpieces or crakows

Also, just because you're an attractive girl doesn't mean that finding people to talk about your fairly niche hobby (even reading John Greene or other popular garbage, maybe 5-15% of a given high school class has read one of his books) is any easier. People like to connect about things they enjoy...sounds...o almost like this board (except these people probably read more).

Why do you feel the need to correct the opinions of NEETs on Veeky Forums? Is it just an insatiable urge for you people?

I usually resist but was just such a bonkers statement I was jarred into replying. I've long learned they're immune to basic logic, facts, or reason.

jake is a gay name

16 year olds would rather read about a dystopian world where theyre made the victim and a strong handsome guy comes to their rescue, Instead of reading a really serious long book. Just like most women like romantic comedy movies and light films/books stuff like that.

Most dont even read books anymore and intead listen to the audio book, they want an excuse to seem smart and cute by saying they read while also being shallow, superficial and having no taste at all.

another example is girls who say theyre into gaming, just to seem "nerdy" and likeable to guys bc theyre trying to be edgy.
Thats my guess

Read Schopenhauer's On Women, it will all become clear to you. Single most redpilled piece of philosophy in history.

So few young men read that there isn't even YA dedicated to them...do they even read the Hardy Boys...
(and before you say it's because they jump from Dr. Seuss to Joyce no, or comparatively few, women read far more fiction of all genres than men).

they read the same shit the "teen" girls read, even though all these book vloggers are 25+

kek why are faggots so gay

Exactly it. Women care a lot about how others perceive them and not necessarily how they really are. Don't think I'm being malicious though because they're still generally decent people.

ok holden. (did you get what i just did there? come to Veeky Forums dot org/lit for the most lit book references)

so are there actually any good book/lit related youtube channels? i looked around and pretty much everything i found was focused on YA or sci-fi/fantasy which i'm not interested in at all

try googling books you like and work that way...answer is still likely not really...

no. why would you even think that

I want to turn Christine's bookshelf into a fuckshelf!

Not everyone reads the stuff Veeky Forums seems to love. This board focuses on stuffy works and philosophy. Some people just wanna sit around reading young adult literature or romance. I rarely visit Veeky Forums because I read more stuff from the kid's section then I do Shakespeare, but no one here wants to talk about any kiddie novels except Harry Potter.

I don't watch the videos but then again I don't like vlogs. I don't care what you brought at the store. People probably enjoy the person's personalities and enjoy discussing books with people.

Veeky Forums likes literature.
What those vloggers are peddling are word-based products with no underlying cultural or literary value.
They can all be shoveled into a furnace and nobody will miss them.
Literature, however, was the base of western culture since millennia ago.

>Some people just wanna sit around reading young adult literature or romance
Yeah, and they're massive faggots.

>Literature, however, was the base of western culture since millennia ago.
WEW LAD

youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps

Check this channel out. Book and tobacco reviews. Cringe from the other end of the spectrum.

>im literally like this
>im a man
H E L P !
E
L
P
!

She sort of looks like Diane in the Trainspotting movie in that Debords video.

Well done, you don't have autism.

>except Harry Potter
Oh piss off.

>in the 80s Coca cola was big and people liked to wear the shirt because they liked the advertisement, the red being the thing which attracted them
You may have heard of the Berlin wall falling and capitalism beating communism, etc.

What you failed to do with your analysis is work out why the behaviour occured in the first place. So did the economic actors suddenly like red in the 80s and for some reason this behaviour is still around today but not before? Or was there some special reason that coca cola t shirts were the red shirt of choice then? You've just gone "this is red, this is red, they're the same" which is retarded baby.

Kill me now

Didn't ANYONE save her videos?

This is how you go to hell.

Do you happen to be homosexual?

>stuffy works
>I read more stuff from the kid's section then I do Shakespeare
>then
>Harry Potter

wanna know how I know you're a pleb?

I've seen a few on youtube and honestly it looks like a very simple money maker. A lot of times I even get the impression they haven't even read the book but were paid to shill so they're just reading some brief synopsis they were sent, or skimmed through wikipedia and turned that into their "review."

>google codpieces or crakows

The exception that proves the rule desu
>two exotic examples from the middle ages are enough to compensate for the nigh seasonal frivolities that women engage in for attention

The only thing they did wrong was linking her to the thread.

>The exception that proves the rule
Spoken like a pseud.

If you really think men refrain from attention seeking behavior or that this type of behavior is new then you need to read a book instead of watching youtube clips.

Spoken like someone who could only provide two extremely dated examples for his fallacious argument and got his butt whooped for it.

I hope you didn't forget about these guys because if you did they might ... steal your girl.

>two exotic examples
That's meant to be what you're both talking about bruh, peeps doing crazy shit for attention.
>from the middle ages
That's their point, you say "it's happening now!" and they're pointing out "it's happened before! But different!"
>are enough to compensate for the nigh seasonal frivolities that women engage in for attention
In the current year? Clearly what happens in the current year is only what is important because it is the current year etc etc.

This whole thing is badly argued on both sides, but you just start replying with so much bullshit here it's silly.

Are straight guys this unable to keep it in their pants?

I feel like your comment is just too far removed from what happened. Can internet losers not piss in piss bottles is probs more relevant.

Tbqh this was somewhat of an aberration in board culture.

You don't seem particularly knowledgeable on critiquing arguments...

The debate was not "it's happening now" vs "it happened before" but rather "it's happening now with staggering frequency" versus "it apparently happened twice in history"