Chemistry: how much does working with chemicals affect chemists in the long-run?

Other urls found in this thread:

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/706360.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you start getting a respectable job.

Other than engineering, what are some good career paths a chemist can follow. Thinking about changing my major to chem from bio, aside from research, chem interests me.

I sort of was aiming to find out about the biological consequences.

dunno about chemists, but some geneticists get cancer some years later after testing certain carcinogenic substances

See, this is interesting. More?

You get ultra aids for thw amount of cocks you ram inside your asshole for choosing such a faggy meme degree.

dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/706360.pdf

Interesting, thank you, why are females so susceptible to radiation?

they probably did all the actual handling of the radioactive materials

Kind of regret going into nuclear engineering, I'm going to get cancer. :(

My Grandpa was a chemist and he's almost 90. I imagine you're good if you're safe.

there are some respectable jobs in biology as well. very few, but they exist

spotted the psychology major

mutagens actually

Don't be a fucking retard and you'll live for years

Chemists only have daughters

>mfw you get ultra aids from the amount of cocks you ram inside your asshole for making such a faggy meme reply.

>you'll live for years
Nicely vague prediction, fucking retard.

Slightly lower life expectancy than average. No seriously look it up.

Fun fact: world's most dangerous lab chemical is N2.

Kys

in first world countries, people tend to look down upon people that do manual labour

those sample sizes are pretty edgy

the most fun jobs in science are in biology

>N2
like nitrogen or toluene?

>an unmarked and unsourced image

The sample size for that figure was literally one. One woman.

>results can't be trusted if they weren't obtained my authority

Well, they don't determine what a chemical is by tasting it anymore, so that's a good start.

We're just in a more stable transition state at death.

Well. Glad I don't have to experience pants shitting, poor mobility and being babysat by 40 year olds for an extra 10 yrs.

sorry pal. >99% mortality rate.

It can play tricks on your mind.
I was working in a lab with tetrodotoxin and because such a small amount on your skin/ingested can kill you I was always in panic mode trying to see if I was having symptoms.
Once my lips were tingling (probably just due to anxiety) and I thought I was going to die as that's the first sign of overdose.
Yeah I am a massive pussy I just realised.

that's normal.

but there should be no chance of getting it on your skin in the first place..

Pure synthetic chemist here.

It is what has motivated me to move away from synthesis.

The cool burn of methylene chloride and holding your breath while refilling the silica gel container gets old after a while.

I've since moved into bioengineering/tissue engineering, where it seems worlds safer.

The biggest hazard has been coworkers so far though, not the chemicals I myself use.

Had a labmate who was borderline autistic and would wander around, hands coated with polyaromatic hydrocarbons that fluoresced bright yellow.
He also blew all the hexane off of his refluxing lithiation once, next to his full organic waste. What a way to start the day...

>even having a thought of getting contaminated.

Step up your lab game man. If you even doubt your skills you are doing it wrong.

I'd like to see that separated into physical/computational , organic, inorganic, and biochem.
I can't decided whether it'd be the organic or the inorganic with less life expectancy.

Organic for sure. Unless working with heavy metals or radioactive elements, inorganic chemists handle carcinogenic chemicals less on average. Proteins and whatnot.

Of course the first story in every lab safety class is the Dartmouth professor who died from a drop of dimethylmercury on her glove.

I'm ok with this