Will we ever figure out how to stop the universe from ending...

Will we ever figure out how to stop the universe from ending? Or do we already know for a fact that this will never be possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Vaccum energy ambient field generators.

Reversing entropy

Leave it to Musk to figure out.

Won't that just run the history of the universe in reverse?

What reason is there? It is 100% certain that the universe will outlive humanity.

I suppose, in case humanity advances!

>100% certain
I would say it's 90%. There's a small chance we'll survive. Don't give up! Let it motivate you!

Bruh, you just gotta have a unmovable thing to stop the unstoppable universe brah!

t. IQ of [number of digits of sqrt(2)]

That would be reversing time

We could in theory turn off the machines if entropy gets too low

No, It would take the creation of a time machine.

>can't interact with dark energy
>can't use technology to halt expansion of universe
>destined to die
>experience feelings of dread due to mortality
>come to believe in God to feel better about self

The first 3 propositions can be overturned.

Stephen Hawking said we could theoretically destroy the universe given current technology (all it would take is to build a large enough particle accelerator en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum ). We are already god when it comes to this. This sets a precedent. So doesn't it stand to reason that one day we might also gain the ability to maintain the universe? I would think that this means that there is some glimmer of hope, at least.

There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

The subject of the false vacuum is something that many use to predict the field of higgs, but nobody believes that this is possible since it would say that there is no physics beyond the standard model, therefore, the false vacuum is in "mate"

>no one WANTS to believe there is no physics beyond the standard model
So far there is no experimental evidence to suggest that there is, and all attempts to find new physics have so far come up empty handed. Kinda sounds like it might be wishful thinking. At least so far.

The thing is about the universe ending in that manner is that it started somehow. Even if that event takes 10↑↑↑↑↑↑10 years to re-make the universe and the earth what does it matter? It's not like we'll be sitting somewhere waiting, it'll be like no time at all passed.

Underrated Asimov reference.

The last question, right? How did I miss that?

Yeah, but it won't be "us". We want continuity of consciousness. Memory, even if selective. That's what true immortality is.

Some doco I once watched said you can't do it, because the process that destroys the universe is the same one that allows life to exist for a fraction of the universe's lifetime. Entropy is what allowed matter to cool, to form nebula, form stars, destroy stars, create planets and ultimately life.

Maybe we'll circumvent it, like with FTL.
Never say when.