Looking for a non induction hot plate with a large diameter (7.5"+)for my aluminum pressure canner

looking for a non induction hot plate with a large diameter (7.5"+)for my aluminum pressure canner

ideally something cheaper than pic related

anyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B005T0SN0K
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Induction is the way to go for that diameter canner though.

Why don't you get one of those single gas burners that Asians use in their apartments? If you don't want an open flame or induction, I don't know what to tell you

How many quarts is your pressure canner? If you are actually canning jars of food, you will need something over 1,000watts. Though, I suppose you could use one 600-800 watts if you insulate the sides of the pressure canner. That Broil King really is the best thing you can use for a medium-sized pressure canner. For a large sized pressure canner you'll need something with 2 burners on it. Though, I'm not sure the weight limit any of these burners may have. My pressure canner would squash most.

Fuck you buddy!

it's 24 quart

i have a 1800 watt induction heater, i thought about just using some sort of induction compatible plate with it..

ive got a Vonshef 1500w hotplate from amazon that I use for my still
works pretty well considering i spent like 35

How long have you had it, and how frequently do you use it?

With water in it having a smaller hot plate won't really hurt.

why do retards insist on making their condition obvious?

For me it's the induction based hot plate

Why do you need the pressure? I used to live on the country and my grandparents always bolid the cans in a big pot over wood fire. It takes time but you dont need no pressure. Granted those cans only last like 4 years max. Does ressure make them last longer?

Water will have a higher boiling point at higher atmospheric pressures. This means you can have high-pressure saturated steam at 121 °C (249 °F) which if standing for around 15–20 minutes, can kill off bacterial spores. Normal boiling can't kill bacterial spores. Unfortunately, one of the most dangerous bacterium (Clostridium which causes gas gangrene and tin cans to explode) produces spores and high pressure sterilization is the best way to kill em.

Why? Gas burners heats up the fastest. We use it to heat pressure cookers for sterilizing stuff in my microbiology lab.

>Gas burners heats up the fastest
That's so non-sensical that I have to assume you mean a high school lab Bunsen and not a proper workplace? Surely you can't be in STEM and not understand that the speed at which something heats something else up depends on its power output and not whether it's gas or electric.

Gas burners does not have special magical attributes that make them super extra powerful heat sources.

People used to do a lot of stupid shit with food preservation, and sometimes paid the ultimate price for it. Bottomline, if you're canning high acid foods like pickles and fruit, you can use a standard water bath because botulism spores cannot live and reproduce in a high acidic environment (ph 4.0 or lower). They will survive temperatures under 240F and since a rolling boil cannot exceed 212F, pressure is needed to raise the temperature above 240F. Do not can non-acidic foods without using a pressure canner and following USDA guidelines for the item.

>depends on its power output and not whether it's gas or electric.

Correct. And generally speaking a gas hob is far more powerful than an electric one.

A gas burner on a typical home range is about 15,000 BTU. That's equal to about 5 kW.

An electric heating element on a typical home range is only about 2-3 kW.

An electric heating element on a portable hotplate that plugs into a normal wall outlet is only about 1500 watts. So empirically, gas has a much higher power output.

That's especially true if you consider an outdoor "turkey fryer" propane burner, which can be 20, 30, 40,000 BTU. A "wok burner" as used in a Chinese restaurant is even stronger and could easily be over 100,000 BTU.

If you already have an induction plate, just try getting one of those metal plates you put on top.

Here's a cheap one on amazon tho. amazon.com/dp/B005T0SN0K

And there's induction heating the vessel directly without having to account for time to transfer the heat from any source. Doing it faster.

Induction has both pros and cons.

Yes, it's more efficient in conducting the heat into the cooking vessel. That is an advantage. But it still suffers from a lower power output compared to gas. I'll take gas over induction any day, for many reasons (power being just one of them).

Gas works with any type or shape of cookware, whereas induction requires ferrous metal cookware and doesn't work well with curved surfaces like a wok.

Gas provides an instant source of flame for flambeing, roasting the skins off peppers, and many other tasks.

Gas also works very well at low settings whereas every induction cooktop I've used has this annoying on-and-off cycling when you're trying to maintain a low simmer. It alternates between "off" and "too hot". Gas or old-school electric has no such problem.

Induction is easier to clean though, I'll give it that.

This is exactly the type of food we boiled. Never meat. I see your point now.

That would be a better solution.

a couple of weeks, once or twice a week but for 5-16 hours at a time.

Hm. I like that it's 1500w, but that's not long enough to tell yet how it'll hold up. I'm kind of tempted by the top seller on amazon right now. It's 1100w and only $10. If those pieces of shit only last for a few months, you can't really beat it. I mostly just use them for boiling water. Electric kettles always taste like plastic or metal to me.

Those induction plates are ridiculously inefficient, just so you know. Look for a better long-term solution if that's important to you.