Reading hemingway for the first time

>reading hemingway for the first time
Is he supposed to sound like he's writing a middle school book report?

yes

That's exactly why borderline illiterates love him so much. Journalist "writers" are pretty much universally a joke.

>it's not le zany antics of farty brekkekek man, I must be too smart for it
this is you. you, like most of Veeky Forums, belong on Veeky Forums because you read for fashion

Actually I'm from /k/ but his prose is very...simple. I guess I'm not Veeky Forums enough to appreciate it? I never said I was too smart for it you fag. I figured there was something I was missing because he's so well respected.

He is literally a meme

its minimalism

is bukowski supposed to sound mentally retarded?

But he knows the ten thousand dollar words alright

he was a pretty radical change from the styles of his time and was great at producing dialogue with far more subtext than what's actually written. I just think he gets a bad rap on here for not writing with such experimental intent as most of the authors meme'd here that half the people don't even read. Joyce is one of my favorite authors, it just feels like people look at Hemingway and don't see 50 references a page and stream of consciousness (which I love) and call it bad writing

Interesting. I mean I was told in my college english classes that he helped shape American literature but I finally picked up A Farewell to Arms and I was just surprised at how blunt and simple he is. Thanks for being helpful

bullshit.

Hemmingway is always a breath of fresh air for me. I love simple writers, and if you write you know that writing simply is not easier than writing some meaningless, but stylized pomo trash like Delillo.

You're missing who he was respected by. You have to remember that he was more of a celebrity/pop culture figure and socialite than strictly a writer. Though this is what made his writing so famous. Essentially he hobnobbed and blustered around the right people long enough to be taken seriously as a writer and that reputation cemented itself with age. Literally a meme, like said.

He's read in high school for a reason, it's really the only place for books like his.

>BEHOLD! I AM ONE OF A SIMPLE MIND

I read everything. What's wrong with minimalism?

I don't mind stylistic minimalism from time to time but Hemingway is just a thoroughly boring man in every respect.

>You're missing who he was respected by.
James Joyce and Harold Bloom?

>this is what made his writing so famous
It helped sustained Hemingway's legacy as a popular figure. His writing was--and remains--respected for various reasons.
>He's read in high school
So are many writers, you dullard.

>>He's read in high school
>So are many writers, you dullard.
I actually had to read James Joyce in high school. Couldn't stand him desu. But I'm not really into literature.

Never read Hemmingway before and I'm reading Farewell to Arms.
It's literally drink wine and have dinner with friends and do nothing - the book.
Please tell me there are better books by him.

You know what I hate about Hemingway? He pushes the burden of storytelling onto the reader. He gives you a fraction of a story and expects you to fill in the blanks. Used sparingly this can be an intriguing technique, but to build a career on it is lazy gimmickry. If I walk away from your story having to fill in the spaces you left blank, I'm doing your job for you; you've failed as a storyteller.

>baby's first iceberg experience

I do prefer his short stories to his novels though.

>I'm a lazy pea brained pleb: the post

Hemingway wrote for the common man, not academics.
He's popular because he's more cultured than other American writers, Europeans generally enjoy him, and he tackled themes relevant to the everyman.
He wrote to his target audience very successfully, this board doesn't seem to recognize that because they're too busy jacking off to prose, allusions, and philosophical themes that will never actually apply to their lives.

>It's literally drink wine and have dinner with friends and do nothing - the book.
This is pretty much all there is to Sun Also Rises as well

The fact that he wrote "for" anyone, especially the so-called "common man" is exactly what makes him such plebbait.

yeah hemingway sucks. in 50 years he'll be forgotten.

Pretty much this. It doesn't surprise me people can't appreciate Hemmingway on this board, I'd actually be highly suspect if that was the case considering his virtues run so counter to the usual e/lit/ist mentality.

He won a Pulitzer. I agree with absolutely everything Gass said about the Pulitzer.

A lot of it is boring, but the Old Man and the Sea is one hell of a book, truly beautiful.

It's YA-tier. Better than 99% of YA, to be sure, but YA nevertheless.

"Hemingway wrote for the common man, not academics"

ironically this ensures that his work will only be read by (a few) academics somewhere down the line. populism = obsolescence.

Hemingway is like the 20th century's sir walter scott. in the 19th century everyone read Scott, half of them copied him, nearly all of them responded to him or at least mentioned him, and now nobody gives a damn about anything he wrote, and for good reason.

like scott, hemingway has also been a bad influence on generations of writers. so many novels from his time up to the the present day are shitty knockoffs of his style. if you pick up any given hyped novel its a coinflip that it will read like garbled hemingway-wannabeism

>if you pick up any given hyped novel its a coinflip that it will read like garbled hemingway-wannabeism
Are you referring to Cormac McCarthy?

>stylized pomo trash like DeLillo

W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

pleb comment of the decade

Read The Old Man And The Sea

Joyce and Faulkner had a far worse influence on modern writers than Hemingway

was going to say this. damn that book was comfy.

>tfw no pal to go with into the woods and drink by the river

Hemingway and James Joyce were friends and got drunk together. James Joyce himself is literally less pretentious than most of Veeky Forums.

>He's read in high school for a reason
can we say the same for shakespeare, that hack?

His short stories are good. The old man and the sea is good because its short. He should never have written novela. Read the short happy life of francis macomber.
A friend got me into hemmingway by explaining that he writes every story in a certain fashion which is "hey look, life sucks and its bad and it can make you sad. However sometimes life can be pretty good. Downright awesome and joyful sometimesbutwait remember how its bad? Well its actually really really fucking bad and you should be really fucking depressed about it end of story"

>The fact that he wrote "for" anyone
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>YA-tier
Does this just mean you don't like Hemingway? There's absolutely no other reason to conflate the two.

I agree with this poster. Read Francis Macomber, read The Killers. Joyce thought A Clean, Well Lighted Place was a masterpiece, read that if you value his opinions. Read the Old Man and the Sea. I love The Sun Also Rises, read that if you like my other recs.

>all that repressed war trauma and sexual betrayal sure was comfy

dude drinking and fistfights lmao

Read Kilimanjaro as a start instead of a novel. His writing, like said, is like an iceberg

This user gets it.

read Hills Like White Elephants if you want something more complex you fucking faggot

I love Old Man and the Sea though.

Literally my exact thoughts after I read Hemingway. His books are self indulgent masturbation.

OP here, I forgot I read Old Man. Old Man is short enough where his style is punchy and makes a bit of a spartan point to me, but christ I can't get through an entire novel of this.

F. Scott Fitzgerald?

Try the sun also rises its novella length might help warm you up to the style, then go back to a farewell to arms. He isn't a bad righter I've always found the things he writes about very enjoyable. It's the normal man vs the fish, the war, the world. But people always have to fling shit cause "omg it's not meme writer"

*writer, typing on my phone from pure laziness.

Hemingway is good and while I'm pretty sure the "you don't like him cuz he's not Joyce!" shit is a meme, if you really are dismissing him due to a comparison to Joyce then remember that Joyce respected Hemingway and they would drink together when in France.

maybe thats why he is "baby's first book".

Also, you missed completly the point

I think they're just using joyce as an example because of the ungodly amout of threads posted pretty much every day sucking his dick like he's the greatest writer ever to exist anywhere ever. Not hating on him btw just saying it's ridiculous how much people talk about the guy.