It's official, I'm definitely going to be broke as fuck for the next 10 years (at least). What are some good...

It's official, I'm definitely going to be broke as fuck for the next 10 years (at least). What are some good, cheap dishes? I hear rice and beans is good, but how should I season them so it's not bland and shitty?

That's a long time mate, but trying different kinds of beans and rice make for a fun variety of dishes and tastes. I like using fish sauce, it's really good on beans, rice or both.

eggs are breddy cheap to as a quick protein source

Did you get paralyzed in an accident or something? Was there a "this town's not big enough for the two of us" situation, in which you were exiled under the threat of death? Do you have to pay child support? What is going on here.

i accidently raped my wifes sons son. he was into it though

>accidentally
>your step grandson

To add some flavor to beans/lentils and rice, get some cheap spices ($1 a bottle generics), cheap flavorful sauces when they're on sale, etc., and keep them on hand to add depending on what you feel like. Salt and pepper of course, dill, ground red pepper. Big bottle of lemon juice. Olive oil. Vinegar. Cheap-ass canned tomato sauce. Cheap hot sauce.

Also add other things when they're cheap, onions, eggs, celery, carrot, etc.

I'm not I took out student loans to get a useless degree, and now I have to pay it off while working shitty jobs. Thankfully it was only a 2 year vocational school, so the debt isn't as much as if I went to a 4 year university.

Out of curiousity, what degree?

It was a culinary school...

please don't laugh

well don't feel too bad

that said, buy in bulk

>chicken breasts (walmart 1.99 per pound)
>dry beans
>rice by the sack

learn to love these things

also you should visit Veeky Forums to learn the bare minimum of nutrients you absolutely need since they'll help you structure your meals to keep from becoming malnourished

Are you a certified ranch expert?

I mean, I went to EMT school, so it's not like I'm any better off.

Anyway; bacon. Don't buy it too often, but buy it semi regularly and SAVE THE GREASE. bacon grease doesn't go rancid if you store it right and it is so useful for flavor.

Are employment opportunities for EMTs scarce?

No, but our pay is shit for the work we do. The old joke goes "So it's pay day and you've had two pediatric calls, three heart attacks, two DOA nursing home calls, and a diabetic with necrotic feet. What's the worst thing you've seen all day?" "My paycheck."

Beans are easy.
Base of almost every bean dish is just some variation of a mirepoix sauteed in fat. This plus beans plus spices. 2k calories should cost you about 2$ if you buy stuff in bulk.

>went to culinary school
>comes on Veeky Forums to ask for cooking advice

JACKPOT

That isn't....THAT bad. I mean, it's a skill. You can better yourself everyday and probably land employment somewhere. It won't be fancy and you'll have to work hard but if you have a real passion for food and cooking there are worse things you know?

>Went to culinary school
>Can't cook poverty meals
top jej

This.

I'm calling bullshit.

>went for broke for culinary school
>now can't afford food

it's beautiful

Not OP but I really need to get my shit together. I spend 30 god damn dollars a day on food. Fuck I wish I could have learned something about cooking while growing up.

Lentils are your pal. you can just eat them plain, or make a soup with whatever vegetables you have on hand.

if there's a staple you want that keeps ok (canned goods, bread, etc) look around for sales or coupons and then stock up with a bunch at once.

How is that even possible? It takes me a week to spend $30 on food.

>skinnyfag detected

I would easily spend $50 a day on food if I wasn't so poor.

But realistically, hurr what is varying cost of living?

I eat out all the time and when I do I eat more than any healthy person should.

Hey guys, homeless here. Here's how you live with under 40 bucks a month without cooking anything. Go to burger king, buy anything cheap to get started. It doesn't matter. You could even ask for a receipt of someone else and not buy anything. Then do their survey, and get the code for a free whopper. They're supposed to make you buy a drink to get it, but most of burger king employees are dumb/don't care enough to. Then they'll give you a receipt for it which you can just get another code for another whopper the next day.

If you can't live under 40 bucks a month for food, you might as well stop cooking and just get fast food.

>$44 at IHOP for 1 person

I'm gonna call bullshit.

Knee gah

Enjoy your prison food. Ramen is prison currency.

few breakfast combos, T-bone steak and eggs and some strawberry crepes for dessert.

I've lost control of my life.

I don't think your problem is that you didn't learn to cook growing up...

Y-yeah, I feel like getting my eating under control is the first step of many towards becoming a decent person.

I think you probably never been to prison. You can have your own money in prison, just not cash.

if you got a degree from culinary school, why are you paying for food instead of working and eating the food there o_o

Why not try Paramedic? Heard their pay is pretty poopy too, but a bit better than just EMT.

Wanted a couple years experience on the truck first, basically; I plan to go back to get my paramedic around 2018/early 2019. It was suggested by my instructor; you're right, though, the pay isn't that much better. It IS better, but not by much.

Work on a hospital, private company or fire department?

Big city or small town?

Right now, private company, state-wide, based out of a small town for the station I work out. IFTs only; I'm honestly really bored of it, but even with the pay as it is now it's a lot better than the pay at the local county-owned 911 services, so.

How much do you weigh?

220. Used to eat a lot when I lifted but when I quit I kept the apatite. Now I look like that dude from man vs food.

Maybe some of you faggots should actually start working in a real kitchen. Helped me get my life on track.

Oh shit i forgot, that would actually require taking some effort.

Are you the guy whose father got busted with a DUI?

If you take the Ramen Noodles out of the package and throw away the MSG packet shit, you can whip up a better sauce real cheap with generic spices or a good big bottle of hotsauce.

I had to live off of 200 Euros per Month for 3 years. Noodles are insanely cheap and really easy to bring variaty in. At least here in Europe, frozen veggies are really good AND really cheap.

If you can have a pal who can get you into a supplier store (don't know the correct word... the store where restaurants buy their 20 pounds buckets of ketchup from), you can get it even cheaper.

In France we have Metro, but you need a Metro card and you have to be a professionnal to have these (become friend with a grocery man)

Ghetto quesadillas, just get cheese slices or get a block of whatever cheese you like and a grater and put it in a tortilla, fold it, then microwave it

Either that, or fold it and place it in the toaster

Mexican here, have some decency and heat up the tortillas in a saucepan.

>EMT

Oh, fuck no. One of the worst jobs you can do, imo

>Surviving off a Whopper a day

You won't have to do it for long.

OP just look at british cuisine

>going to school for something you can literally be paid to learn

holy shit you fucked up

but so did the other chefs at my restaurant, I'm the only one who never attended I didn't even graduate high school nigga

It's worth it, though; at least, I feel like actual 911/emergency services are. Yeah, it's a shitty job sometimes, but every once in awhile you make a real difference to someone. Hell, I ran three heart attack calls over the course of my clinicals; one of them the woman came back. There is no better feeling in the world than pounding away at a dying person's chest begging and praying; you've got another EMT at the head pumping air, the paramedic's screaming at you to compress steadier so they can get a line in... and then the heart monitor stops beeping. And then the feed starts showing electrical activity; you stop everything for just a second, and the woman's breathing. Pulse is back; she was dead, and now she isn't, and it's all on you and your team.

That shit, man, that's the best feeling in the world; I'd do it for free if I didn't have to make a living somehow. That's what I went to school for, that feeling of bringing someone back, or keeping someone stable, of *saving a life*. There's no better high.

Polite sage for heavily off topic.

that sounds amazing

my greatest accomplishment is someone saying they liked my food

what am I doing with my life

Didn't they at least teach you how to take advantage of cheap ingredients at culinary school?
I mean you got in debt to learn how to cook and now you can barely afford food at all

Shit man, go to EMT school. Find a local tech college that offers it as a certificate, it won't even take four semesters to do. Look into grants--government will pay you money to learn a trade like that, and I managed to get through it without paying a dime until I had to take my national registry tests ($75 for basic, $115 for advanced). If you decide to only do basic it'll take a year, tops, and you can get a job at a private or urban service doing basic life support and transport jobs until you decide to go back for your advanced. And there's never enough EMTs, either--I had a job within two months of getting my state licensing, which i had two months after graduating (becuase it took me a couple tries to pass the NREMT test). It's not to late to do something with your life, user; never give up.

For ultra poor, buy Oatmeal, Flour, Cornmeal, 1 package of dry yeast, salt, spices, and maybe some seeds on sale to grow at LOTS of random areas, don't forget to water them. Then learn to trap rabbits and small birds, it's not that hard but a bit of work. Garden snails aren't too bad really and all you do is pick them off of plants and put them in a box.

If you have some extra cash, buy meat on sale (Some stores will discount it on/near the sellby date).

If you have a job and just want to buy everything, pay attention to local store ads and sales. Only buy things on sale and stock up for later. Flour should be about $1.50/5lb bag for All Purpose and $2.00/5lb bag for bread flour or whole wheat. Dark meat chicken you can get on sale for $0.68/lb. Beef maybe as low as $3/lb as whole cuts, even less if you're buying large chubs of ground beef. Pork can be as low as $1/lb for a whole shoulder roast, sometimes less. I don't buy much pork anymore though.

If you buy meats, save the fats don't dump it. You'll want it for cooking other stuff.

Bullion cubes are pretty effective.
Ramen is okay if you're getting it at 10 cents a pack but not exactly great for you.

Basically avoid anything packaged and you'll save money. Also buy fresh stuff on sale.

Maybe check out farmers markets and haggle even if you want, just remember to write down prices from supermarkets to compare or you'll be ripped off.

I have a lot of legal issues and my license is suspended until like 2020, plus a criminal background and I'm a little bitch when it comes to human bodies, I can butcher a whole animal and cut crab faces off but can't deal w human bodies

P much stuck being a chef, I like what I do though

Thanks anyway friendo

Some other ideas
Fry up chicken skin like bacon, add a little salt.
Make flat bread out of leftover boiled potatoes. Just add butter (1oz per 8oz cooked potato), salt, and flour to make a dough, roll flat and cook in a pan. Oil or dry is fine, depends how you like it.
Peanut butter is a pretty good ratio of calories for the price too. Fresh nuts are better but will be too expensive.

Get frozen greens as they'll be cheapest. Fresh is better but can eat up your cash with little calories. They're great for the vitamins etc tho.

Things to avoid if you want to save money though are almost any packaged food containing flour, corn, and oats. All of them will be marked up a ton. This is basically all cereals, granola bars, cookies, cakes, buns, breads, etc. It isn't so much about health but the cost to calories.

Whole milk if you can get it for $2 or maybe $2.50 a gallon is okay too. Anything over and it's not worth it.

What, did you have a kid or something; recently divorced maybe?

Maybe he got kicked out of his expensive MBA program a month before graduating.

Why is "Rice by the sack" considered inexpensive food....they are normal and sometimes a luxury in the Eastern/ indian world?

>Why is "Rice by the sack" considered inexpensive food

Because the larger the qualitty you buy the rice in then the cheaper it is.

In the US there are a lot of single-serving rice products, or small-sized packages. These are much more expensive per pound than a large sack of rice is.

>>..they are normal and sometimes a luxury in the Eastern/ indian world?

They used to be normal here too. But small "convenience food" packages have been around here so long that those have become the new "normal" for many people.

this is what I do for 2 weeks. I am not poor like you but am trying to save money.
10 chicken tights $7.00
Rice $ 3.00 good for a month
tomato paste: $3.00 good for 2 weeks
chicken stock : $4.00
onions $2.00
Total $19 / 10 = $1.9 per day.

I start by semi caramelizing the onions. once is to my liking I add the tomatoe paste. cook it for like 1 minute or so. then add the stock. add chicken, let it come to a boil. bring it down to simmer and cook for one hour.
do rice to your liking.