Veeky Forums questions that don't deserve their own thread

Veeky Forums questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Please start your question post with [QUESTION] or [question] so it's easier to find.

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/channels/welcome/179077179605385216/179077179605385216/0
discord.gg/SWkzH7Z
futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction/
amazon.com/Letters-Penguin-Classics-Lucius-Annaeus/dp/0140442103
amazon.com/Selected-Letters-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199533210
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

[question]
how can i un-pseud myself?

[question]
>The Ego and His Own: The Case of the Individual Against Authority (Dover Books on Western Philosophy)
>Paperback: 400 pages

Why is it that philosophy books are so big? How come the authors read and think so much yet are unable to write succinctly? Are they retarded?

tl;dr: don't be an insecure asshole

For starters, don't try to impress people around you. It's better to use that energy towards improving your understanding of the topic.

Stop using that new word you saw in all the time. It makes you sound like a kid.

Don't ever think you're better than the plebs around you just because you just finished yet another philosophy book. People dedicate their entire lives trying to understand how the universe works, you certainly haven't figured it out just because you read .

Stop giving your opinion all the time. You will sound like you're insecure and looking for validation. Let the ideas sink into you before you start talking like you know it all and everybody is retarded.

[Question]
How the fuck do you even go about writing poetry in 2016?
I've never written anything like that before, but now I have to for a uni thing, and I don't want it to be shit obviously. But the idea of it seems so weird to me. I've written a bit of short fiction, usually quite abstract and cerebral, but will this work for poetry?
And even then, seriously, how do you go about writing a poem? I have no idea where to even start.

And please don't say anything along the lines of "just be yourself" and "express yourself". That's how you get undergrad shit and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

where do you find good monographs to read? They're too expensive to buy online and my local library obviously doesn't have shit and jstor sucks or I'm too stupid to figure out how to use it. Someone please help

[Question]
How many threads do you have hidden right now?

STICKY THIS IMMEDIATELY

Anyone have a link to the Veeky Forums discord?

None in Veeky Forums, but I have like 20 hidden in /r9k/.

[Question]
What is the best bible translation to read?

discordapp.com/channels/welcome/179077179605385216/179077179605385216/0

I'm not a bible connoisseur but I liked Ferrar Fenton's version because of the footnotes. I only really read Genesis tho.

You might find them in college libraries.

How's the Charles Jarvis translation of don quixote?

I mean an invite link

[question]
Not really a question. I just want to recommend using the Bookerly font. It's the font used in recent kindles.

discord.gg/SWkzH7Z

[QUESTION] I'm about to buy the Kobo Aura. Is this the best e reader? Is it the nice middle ground between too much or too little? Is Kindle any better?

Forgot pic.

[question]
(Sort of related to )
What are some good short books to read? Anything is ok but I'd like to read some non-fiction too.

I've got the HD version. It's my first e-reader so I can't compare, but I'm more than content. Apparently it's better/easier to handle pirated books on a Kobo than a Kindle, so it's got that going for it.

Is there any value in reading Veeky Forums or is it just a fun thing to do

It helps you think

Who are some other writers like kafka but maybe even more surreal? Ive read steps by kosinski already

What is the best free/pirated fiction writing course?

Oh, yeah, good question. Can we get a general list of good fiction writing courses going?

Fun is a valuable thing.

[Question]
How can I get into the literary lifestyle? It' sound like a fantastic dream for me, but I do not want it to be fantastic. I do not want to read, but to eat books.

Gogol's short stories are pretty surreal, especially The Nose. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

>I do not want to read, but to eat books.
Then do it. I especially recommend a mixed salad and some white wine with a light novella.
Seriously though, don't try to force it, or you'll end up merely imitating you idea of a literary lifestyle.

futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction/

Why does the right think any of their ideas deserve admiration and respect when most of them are under read to the point of gleefully flirting with ideas that force them to degrade themselves and give into the problems that only put them in such a state of resentment in the first place.

Why does the right seem to herald the problems a society faces as clear proof we need to double down on them and admit defeat instead of using our capacity to come up with clearer solutions that aren't manipulated away easily. Why has, for example, the right in modern time been so easily weaponized by elite forces while the left has been declawed and made new right? And the subtle and not so subtle consequences of that? Who is really to blame? What brought us here?

Why does the right seem to want to force their ideals upon others who do read, and who disagree while they do not.

you should become a silverfish, they live a pretty lit lifestyle in my option, flaneurs and bibliophages

Is white noise the best place to start with DeLillo?

Are there any arguments for something along the lines of "any belief that is impossible to claim without being self-contradictory, is necessarily false".

Sounds pretty stylish, and much better than bookworm.

Is it too /pseud/ to write poems about Greek myths?

That's called reductio ad absurdem. It's a proven logical rule

That sounds like a great way to practice writing poetry, at the very least. If Greek myths inspire you, do it.

Why do you attack caricatures? What are you, some 20 year old who hasn't read fuckall either? Why don't you suspend your judgments until you actually know something?

Life will be more interesting if you assume that your intellectual opponents have as many convictions and even insights as you do, however wrong they may be in clinging to certain ones or being misled by certain mistakes.

>He who thinks a great deal is not suited to be a party man: he thinks his way through the party and out the other side too soon.

>Why do you attack caricatures? What are you, some 20 year old who hasn't read fuckall either? Why don't you suspend your judgments until you actually know something?

Because these caricatures exist in unfortunate number, and it's for reasons just as unfortunate. Blinding yourself to the truth of the matter because it's inconvenient isn't a good idea. Blaming me for pointing out awful behavior as not observation and witness but just of "caricatures" is just disingenuous.

>Life will be more interesting if you assume that your intellectual opponents have as many convictions and even insights as you do, however wrong they may be in clinging to certain ones or being misled by certain mistakes.

I already have. There is such a thing as being more read and being unable to relate to someone who prides themselves on not reading and ruthlessly criticizing anyone who comes up with conclusions who has. It's not unlike their own deluded persecution complex they've invented they see from the farther left.

They've gone farther right than even the farther left have gone left.

You know, exactly what I'm speaking of.

[question] Is there any point in reading translation of Ulysses? I mean, is it even possible to make a decent translation of it? I know there is translation in my native language, I know the guy worked on it many years, but I'm afraid it's not decent since he was criticized for his Shakespeare translations.
I enjoyed Dubliners and Portrait very much and want to experience Ulysses without any loss of quality.

Hey, whatever provides fodder for anonymous venting about strawmen on the Internet. Remember, it's better to bitch about fictionalised rednecks on Veeky Forums than to read Fichte's inaugural address or Jacques Ellul on techne.

[QUESTION] How's the Charles Jarvis translation of Don Quixote?

How do you recover from a life of being bullied? I'm certain my childhood ended when I was 11, and a whole chunk of it at 7.

Anyway can I have feedback on this?

>The night was chill. Every now and then, a powerful wind would come and push so hard on the trees, their tips would touch the ground. Then, when it was over, most trees bounced back. However, some had enough, and snapped. But most depressing of all, is the one that got stuck, disfigured from then on. And all they could do, was watch the sky, and hope the sun imploded.

[Question]
How difficult is The Tunnel by Gass? Been curious about it but after struggling with certain parts of Omensetter's Luck I'm wondering if it's even worth a shot or if I should try to read more modernist stuff first

It's definitely translateable but its difficult to catch everything but if you're reading it for the first time you're probably not going to get all of it anyways. Reading stuff in their original languages is always to prefer though.

Solid fucking advice.

>proven
top kek

>Hey, whatever provides fodder for anonymous venting about strawmen on the Internet

Like you aren't the one venting about someone you don't like disagreeing with you in a thread provided to vent. I encourage you to, since it seems like you have some pent up emotions tied to your politics.

Is Crime And Punishment a fast paced than 1984?

I find 1984 interesting but I feel sleepy while reading. Can't do more than 50 pages in one sitting.

Crime & Punishment is seriously slow and a lot may feel repetitive. Once you get into it though it's incredibly captivating so I highly recommend it.

>How do you recover from a life of being bullied?
tl; dr: get hid of that weight on your shoulders and work with what you have. keep moving forward even if you're only able to crawl.

Learn to accept* what happened.

You were bullied, that sucks, but you can't do anything about it now. There is no point on crying over it, it's much more productive to put the ashes of your youth in a jar and put it on your mind's highest shelf as if it was a trophy. You were bullied and you survived!

Maybe your parents neglected or downplayed you or the bullying issues that were brought to them, but they are the only parents you have. You'll have to accept* them too. Having a healthy (as far as possible) relationship with your parents is indefinitely better than hating them for life, even if they hate you.

You're older now. You ought to become your own parent now. You'll have to comfort, play, teach and take care of your adult self. If you can't do something by yourself you ask for help, it's not shameful.

Disclaimer: 4 years of individual and group therapy.

* By accept I mean "respect, honor and be in peace with".

git gud

[QUESTION]
Are there any good mass-market romance novels?

They do, but I can't but feel pretentious as fuck. It's not like anyone is ever going to read any of it, though. So I might as well go on. Thanks.

I liked The Time Traveller's Wife. It's still nothing special, though.

Is History of Western Philosophy good place to start with philosophy?

I'm thinking I'll go Five Dialogues after this and then Republic. Then wherever. Probably pick something easy.

I've never read any philosophy before.

I've gone through Karamazov's 850 pages in one week. I just started Crime and Punishment and it seems to be a easy read as well. I don't know if it's Dostoevsky or the translations. This one is by Constance Garnett. He probably tried to make it easy as possible otherwise the language seems pretty dry. Maybe someone who knows Russian can clarify

No, it's a bad idea. You are better off trying to read Plato on his own and then getting some context on what's happening.
Russell is just going to fly over your head and might transfer his personal biases onto you.

What do you suggest as intro then?

if you've never read any philosophy before, you're better off following along Yale's open course (or MIT or some other equivalent) on western philosophy

you /could/ just follow the reading list, but you should really watch the lectures too--philosophy isn't just reading, but really involves critical thinking and you'd need someone discussing it to really have it sink in

I'll just follow my original plan anyway. No downside to reading. I have plenty of time. Thanks for the heads up though I'll try to be conscious about what I take to heart.

Picked up Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation. In the preface, he mentions that he wants you to read his essay "On the Fourfold Root of the Principal of Sufficient Reasoning" before reading TWWR. Is this really necessary, or can I just dive right in?

[question]

Why did anyone tell me how [descriptor] this book would be?

variations: Why did you make me read this?

Why is everyone so into this book?

Stop being a pussy, lift weights, relocate.

what i want to know is how to get the intrusive thoughts regarding hanging myself that crop up every hour or so to go away

Can I get a new link?

I was kicked when I first tried to join last night

drugs

[QUESTION]

Need help tracking down a book. The author was interviewed on NPR just the other day, but I only caught the very end. The author's name was Sir Robert something, couldn't make out what the last name was, but it sounded sort of like Penwell (nothing came up when I searched for that full name, though). The book dealt with the search for a unifying theory in regards to quantum mechanics and the macrouniverse, and the author namedropped Einstein, Shrodinger, and Dirac as examples of those who admitted current understanding of quantum mechanics leads to absurd conclusions, making the aforementioned search necessary and vital to further development of our understanding of physics. Anyone else hear the interview or know the book and can help me out?

Never mind, of course I found it minutes after finally posting for help. For anyone who might be interested, it's Fashion, Faith, and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe by Sir Roger (not Robert as I thought) Penrose.

Next reply determines what I read next.

Not listed: Everything that's been translated for Soseki/Kawabata/Abe I've also read. Don't like Murakami or Mishima.

Silence
Essays in idleness

Done. Thanks user.

You might be interested in Horgan's End of Science as a kind of who's-who of weirdos like Penrose

Fun read too

Thanks for the rec. Sounds interesting.

>Is this really necessary
Oh fuck yes it is. He mentions it so much you get sick of it.

Have you reached the point that you catch yourself telling yourself a joke about killing yourself for the second time?

Where can I get and aaarg invite?

Do "studies" of other writers to understand not just how they write, but how to write like them.
Start combining studies until it feels like you're writing.
That's what I'm doing and I'm finally becoming happy with some of my work for longer than the grace period of new creation.

[QUESTION]
Hello Veeky Forums Does anyone knows the name of the book that had a commercial banner on Veeky Forums like back in june 2016? The cover had two guys with white robes.

Where should I start with Voltaire?

the Greeks.

King James

>value
>fun
NEITHER. The only purpose of reading is to deconstruct.

[question]
What's the best modern Greek version of the Iliad and how does it compare to Merrill's translation?

"Possession" by A.S.Byatt

Marvel's Avengers

I've seen both editions posted here, so which one should I get?

amazon.com/Letters-Penguin-Classics-Lucius-Annaeus/dp/0140442103

Or
amazon.com/Selected-Letters-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199533210

i enjoyed sweet tooth by ian mcwhatever

What one should I read next

Can't decide what to read next.
>walden
>catch-22
>infinite jest
>the crying of lot 49

Catch 22

Tales of Moonlight and Rain is GOAT.

on it. thanks

[QUESTION]
are adverbs bad or is it a meme?

My wife is in healthcare, and would probably commit me if i told her i think about making a very specific noose out of industrial grade wire and a low friction metal slip, and hanging myself from an oak tree beside my house at least 6 times a day. It has however replaced the recurrent fantasy of spitting in authority figures faces, so I guess thats something.

Bump

It's a meme but amateurs overuse them trying to be descriptive

Such edge much ouch

Get fucking help, you dolt.

do I need to have read Tom Sawyer before Huckleberry Finn?

recently got a copy of the latter.

Butcher's Crossing