Can novels really justify their existence in the rapidly moving 21 century? As proven by many writers...

Can novels really justify their existence in the rapidly moving 21 century? As proven by many writers, there's no inherent advantage over writing a novel instead of a short story or a novella. Since out imperfect memory won't be able to withhold 600+ pages of information anyway, only retaining the novel's emotional/intellectual effect, reading long novels seems like an objectively very wasteful idea.

length is the novel's advantage. every other medium is short, except maybe the 'tv show season.' i prefer the short story but it's impossible to imagine it returning to prominence among the reading masses. to many other quick things they can do that don't involve reading.

stop approaching art like a utilitarian.

you're conflating too many nuanced factors of expression here.

Yes, and no. Under the strain of digital media, the novel will polarize. We will see more short story collections/novellas and more bold, massive books. I foresee fewer novels overall, but these exaggerated forms will hold ground relatively well.

I think our culture is also reflexive enough that we will see a resurgence in the popularity/social cachet of reading once the digital conquest really gets going. Sort of like the resurgence of vinyl, but it will be an even stronger statement.

That. If you want to be efficient, do science, not art.

nothing wrong with conjecturing about the sociology of a medium, as long as one steps out of the way when real art is happening

>DUDE ART IS SPECIAL LMAO
Great attitude, but why should art get a special treatment? Art is a field of ideas, just like science, philosophy, psychology, politics etc. What entitles you to be overbearing and bloated? What makes your overbearing and bloated creation superior to these that exercised brevity above all?

This is not about being entitled to anything nor is it about being superior.
Art doesn't solve anything, it's mere expression. Thus it's perfectly senseless to go try and regulate it.

You don't like logorrhoeic novels? Fine man, but don't tell me it's wasteful if I read them. I would agree with OP if that were about a field where "wasting time" would mean loss. But it doesn't.

>>DUDE ART IS SPECIAL LMAO

not special -- different.

i can't tell if you're baiting or just really precocious and naive. either way i can't be bothered.

Why not special, though? I can't see anything bad about calling art special.

Most people do something in order to get something done. Solve problems. Enhance stuff. Improve.
They want neverending growth and are looking for ways to get there.

Most people who do art don't solve anything. They just watch and take notes and add maybe an idea or two and are content with that.

i think you've just cracked the code on this whole "art" thing.

go get 'em, ace. the masses need to hear this.

>like short story a lot
>it ends
>there's nothing like it anymore

>find novel i like
>read it for days
>have fun

You know, you're trying pretty hard. It's almost pathetic.

What retards make these moronic threads? There are always 1-2 up, but I never could understand what is the point. Is it bait? Is it shitposting? Is OP just a cretin? All three?

The only weird opinions about literature that get posted here are ones that would be laughed at in the real world.

>I lack critical thinking skills.

There's your new nametrip.

I take it that it is all three then.

"okay".

Don't be that ignorant. You know he has a point there. I call OP's proposition bullshit, but from a certain point of view, I can see what he means.

I don't think its bait. I think he's just not the type for lengthy literature.

>Is it bait? Is it shitposting?

i think it was a genuine attempt at a thread but it was made by a younger poster and they get so caught up in flights of angst that they take to shitposting before they even realize it.

>only retaining the novel's emotional/intellectual effect
What's wrong with that?

>flights of angst

shitposting or shit writing?

he's prejudiced against pseuds

>rapidly moving 21 century

Rapidly moving your fingers over the screen of your fucking iPhone

so red-pill