Is there really a "Analytical/Continental" divide in philosophy

or is that just a debate that autists like to do

is there really a difference between the two "schools" of philosophy?

i dont want this to be a analytic vs. continental shit thread...just want to know if there is a real difference between the two

I think its mainly a stylistic difference in how the schools approach writing. I don't know if there is really much of a difference

although you can say they tackle different problems

Continentals are more interested in the human experience which is why they are closer to the humanities fields

Analytics tend to focus more on technical problems which is why there closer to math, science, logic etc.

but i think approaching philosophy in such a limited dichotomy is not that good

Continentals: feels, ethics, "human condition"

Analytics: reals, metaphysics, actually makes progress

Look, it's just a fact that all metaphysics was subsumed by physics, a process that started with Newton and has now totally outstripped any of the idiots that find themselves in "analytic philosophy" departments rather than math or theoretical physics departments. nietzsche just called the end and the entire field has been limping along, underfunded, in anglo philosophy departments since then.

'analytics' like to scoff at 'continentals' but continentals are just people who have closed the platonic loop as per nietzsche and have chosen to write beautiful, socially effective sophistry rather than play autistic language games.
ultimately my point is we are all morons if we expect to be anything more than morons. we are all bloody degenerates, and the least we can do is accept it and be rhetorically playful. your typical Veeky Forums analytic on the other hand is just absolutely disgusting: repressed, deluded, and a wet blanket. they say nothing interesting, gravely claim to be doing 'serious work', but never show anything of merit. They accuse continentals of intentional obfuscation, but where continentals obfuscate with twists and turns of language, analytics obfuscate with boredom inducing aristotelian prose that manages to say nothing. on top of that they do nothing as a social force. analytic philosophy is for stuffy conservatives who don't have much sex and judge people for having messy countertops.

Dividing either is pointless and shows you don't understand either at all. You're making this a false issue, and a hazardous one to the eyes of the casual public by decrying them enemies when both are just different ways of philosophy.

Crossing them doesn't mesh, or if it does does not mesh easily, so you shouldn't fucking do it. You have a casual understanding of all of this and I suggest you stop talking and blathering click bait inspired nonsense and take a swing at real work. Before actually considering again talking about the subject.

90% of analytics are just servicing the Computer God by sperging out over routinizing math proofs and programming

In December 1965 when I returned from my Computer God planned one way trip to the snow bound St Lawrence estuary "Poland" my life became even worse deadly than before I left. Even ape nigger Sonny Wally Gray Hempstead cop with another black ape city cop, both in uniform, in their Thunderbird auto, in their driveway, next occupied house to mine, sprayed me with poison nerve gas from their exhaust as I walked by their driveway loaded with shopping bags. Immediately they jumped out of their auto both holding their guns in obvious be-sweated, cowardly, gangster, fright; indubitably well briefed by the deadly gangster CIA cops and Computer God earphone radio about my razor sharp chisel in my pocket.
At this time in the late sixties there was no inflation I managed to exist on much less than 1000 a year of my savings spending mostly for food, taxes and kerosene. After several months of my imploring my brother then moved to 2628 Samis Place to sell it for me. Until he left all food etc., was bought with my money, I was his house slave and cook. After he left there were no more torments and mad beatings from him, no more hiding in the garage or cellar while he sodomized the last slut I passed onto him years before, here in my bed, in my house, every weekend, always alone here. I had endless peaceful time to study all the nigger neighbors and slowly write notes piecing together this deadly Frankenstein earphone radio closed society, even in my law office on the corner the Computer God notarized me as a pummeler of niggers, this has helped to keep them away from me.

is this a hot new pasta

Analytics at least are able to justify their ideas instead of Continentals "muh feels"

Continental philosophy is simply philosophy done wrong

>He actually believes in a concept of "progress"

its still better than

"muh feels"

Continentals don't have the raw intellect to hang in analaytical philosophy

none of them could explain to you the advances in mathematical logic since Kripke

There is a complete difference

there is a reason why Analytical philosophy is dominant in actual PHILOSOPHY departments

while continental "philosophy" is only ever seen in race classes, feminist classes and all that shit

>There is a complete difference

Did you read what I said? Can you read? Can you read for understanding?

>Crossing them doesn't mesh, or if it does does not mesh easily, so you shouldn't fucking do it

I said there was a difference but that doesn't neccisitate power ranking two completely different fields when their aims are entirely different branches.

Why would you fucking bother if you ever knew or cared enough about philosophy to make something so intricate something as stupid and banal as a popularity contest.

With political intent, no less.

>there is a reason why Analytical philosophy is dominant in actual PHILOSOPHY departments

I'll tell you why they aren't, and that's the shit you're trying to insinuate.

>while continental "philosophy" is only ever seen in race classes, feminist classes and all that shit

Boo fucking hoo. If that's all you see in it. Boo Hoo. If you get offended in college, stop and just drop out because it's not preparing you for life well enough.

no analytical philosophy is much more dominant than continental philosophy in universities, especially in America and the UK

I don't think we ever read anything on Hegel or any other continental philosopher besides Kant in a passing manner

>no analytical philosophy is much more dominant than continental philosophy in universities, especially in America and the UK

Properly punctuate your sentences. I can't tell if you're saying no analytic philosopher is more dominant; or, No, analytic philosophy is much more dominant.

For someone who went to college this should be easy, thanks.

>I don't think we ever read anything on Hegel or any other continental philosopher besides Kant in a passing manner

The insinuations I could take frpm this sentence alone makes me blush.

Both suck and are worthless Euro-masturbatory trash
American Pragmatism is the common sense approach

Pragmatism

Bertrand Russell's understanding of Nietzsche was shallow and political and Wittgenstein was a massive hack since he learned directly from that moron and didn't bother to read anyone else at any significant length.

>Nietzsche is founded on a philosophical tradition which leads to Fascism
>he is contradictory like a true Romantic
>he is a barbaric war lover full of hatred and lust for power alone
>he likes the contemplation of pain and admires conquerors whose cleverness is causing men to die

What a fucking petty retard Russell was.

Russel is the founder of the most dominant philosophy school in the world

but yet he is a moron

>most dominant philosophy school in the world
He founded the schools of ancient Greece?

name one continental philosophy that had the sheer intellect Saul Kripke has

remember Kripke revolutionized modal logic at the age of 17

>>name one continental philosophy that had the sheer intellect Saul Kripke has

If you're an expert of analytic philosophy why do you even care. Why even ask that, why care to make a shitty thread and non stop bitch about popularity.

If you are read something is wrong with you. If you aren't read this is perfectly expected.

Originally, "analytic" philosophy just mean "what we [Russell et al.] do at Cambridge," and "continental" meant "literally everything else." Applying the distinction to philosophers who preceded this time is therefore anachronistic and mistaken.

People who identify as analytics today often take themselves to be the philosophical descendants of Russell et al. People who identify as continental have less to identify with, because there was no philosopher or methodology or even a general philosophical school that was "continental" originally, and therefore no heritage or descendants.

Perhaps a better question is whether analytic philosophy died with logical positivism, and everything that followed only resembles analytic philosophy to the extent that it pays special attention to logic.

You didn't answer my question.

Also, Nietzsche revolutionized the entirety of the philosophical tradition. Kripke's not even a part of it.

Most of the posters here are in their early/mid teens

>analytics think they've transcended positivism and yet they still think of philosophy as a divide between feels and reals

there is quite a difference

"reals" is based on logic, via modal, predicate, mathematical etc.

"feels" is based on emotion

Continentals literally believe that math, science, logic are white male hegemonic racist structures

debating against them is simply pointless

logic is real cute until you put it to use answering questions for the humanities, at that point "analytic" philosophers reach peak retard

Dominance has nothing to do with intelligence.
Logic has nothing to do with intelligence.
Logic is based on emotion.

>lol guys im so rational X) i cant even!!!
no one would even care about either if it wasnt for what you call "muh feels"

>He thinks "reals" exist

There are no facts.

Are Analytics undercover STEMlords?

On the contrary, they're mathematically impotent. People for whom the standard of real mathematics is always unreachable.

>real mathematics
you sound like those fags on youtube comments who type shit like "why cant people of my age listen to REAL MUSIC like me?"

>Continentals literally believe that math, science, logic are white male hegemonic racist structures
Yeah Nietzsche totally belives that

I'm not wrong, though.

>i dont want this to be a analytic vs. continental shit thread
lmao

im 12 and i love calculus is that bad

post your feet

im 12 and i love art is that bad

Is it a fair generalization that analytic is more white male based and continenatal is about challenging those power structures and empowering alternative narratives?

You dude you totally call the shoots when deciding what math is real or not
Why arent you the philosopher king of the world yet

>Is it a fair
no
SJWism isnt continental philosophy

maybe.... is it also fair that white males tend to be in analytical philosophy more so than PoC and women

because they have more logical minds?

I wanted some input on this shitty poem I wrote, 1st time writing anything and I figured I could post it here since people actually respond to stuff

I'm a broken man, unloved and that is true
Seeking your attention what must I do?

I offer my help, it is declined and you act like I am wasting your time.

In bed my advancs are in vain, as you lay there on your phone can't you see I'm in pain

When I protest you drudge up the past, placing all the fault on myself.

We have a good life, and a little boy who is month 5......

I guess what I'm saying is that I love you, but this is hard and i don't know what to do. I want respect , I want to be heard but most of all I just want you

Is slam poetry an important part of the continental tradition?

No numbers or logic? pshhh... gtfo sjw

so why are continentals shit at modal logic?

Continental philosophy is simply modern philosophy. Analytic "philosophy" is actually just informal logic with shitty transcendental undertones.

lol

analytical philosophy is real philosophy

continental "philosophy" is simply poorly done poetry/sophistry

>Look, it's just a fact that all metaphysics was subsumed by physics, a process that started with Newton and has now totally outstripped any of the idiots that find themselves in "analytic philosophy" departments rather than math or theoretical physics departments. nietzsche just called the end and the entire field has been limping along, underfunded, in anglo philosophy departments since then.
>'analytics' like to scoff at 'continentals' but continentals are just people who have closed the platonic loop as per nietzsche and have chosen to write beautiful, socially effective sophistry rather than play autistic language games.
>ultimately my point is we are all morons if we expect to be anything more than morons. we are all bloody degenerates, and the least we can do is accept it and be rhetorically playful. your typical Veeky Forums analytic on the other hand is just absolutely disgusting: repressed, deluded, and a wet blanket. they say nothing interesting, gravely claim to be doing 'serious work', but never show anything of merit. They accuse continentals of intentional obfuscation, but where continentals obfuscate with twists and turns of language, analytics obfuscate with boredom inducing aristotelian prose that manages to say nothing. on top of that they do nothing as a social force. analytic philosophy is for stuffy conservatives who don't have much sex and judge people for having messy countertops.

Brio trains were great so I'm "all aboard" for this.

thats why Wittgenstein, an analytical philosopher is recognized as the greatest philosopher of the 20th century

and im pretty sure he came after Neitzsche

A comprehensive history of "analytic philosophy".

1. All philosophy has been analytic, from the beginning of philosophy (quite simply because that's what all philosophy, indeed all thought, consists of: analysis).

2. Nietzsche arrives on the scene. Anglo-Saxons do not understand his analysis, ergo it is not analysis. Also, he made fun of them repeatedly for not being able to understand him. This at least they understood.

3. Anglo-Saxons: "Screw the priggish continentals: We will make our OWN philosophy." (= "The continentals are mean to us, so we won't play with them anymore.")

4. Wittgenstein's On Certainty. Illegible rubbish, but it set the tone for all future "analytic philosophy".

5. No one pays attention to the Anglo-Saxons' illegible rubbish, while book sales and star status of the continentals (many of whom are charlatans indeed but at least not boring) are soaring.

6. Finally Rorty turns around and proclaims the end of "analytic philosophy". "I wish I'd read less of our autistic bullshit and more novels instead."

7. According to the Anglo-Saxons, then, novels are the culmination and ultimate expression of philosophy.

8. And that's where Anglo-Saxon "analytic philosophy" stands to this day. Nothing more than a gigantic reaction movement to Nietzsche calling them names and making fun of them.

t. Icy

>ugh all this kids on my campus are reading Nietzsche, why cant they read REAL philosophy like me? Im too smart for Nietzsche, Marx, Heidegger, the list goes on and on...

I'm pretty sure you have no fucking idea what you're talking about and have never read a word of Wittgenstein.

im pretty sure Wittgenstein is generally rated as the greatest philosopher of the 20th century by the wide consensus

You (might) be correct but I'm still confident you have never read Wittgenstein nor do you understand his significance.

lol....you havn't read Quine, Putnam, Sellars, Kripke etc.

i am correct...and im pretty sure you never read Quine, Putnam, Sellars, Kripke

or have any idea how to do modal logic

ONLY NUMBERS EXIST LOLOLO EVERYTHING ELSE IS GAY

Appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy. I thought you were logical?

There is a reason white males dominate analytic philosophy

and continental philosophy is dominated by women, blacks/PoC, etc.

its because it takes more logical reasoning abilities

let me ask you something

do you understand Modal logic?

501(c)4 Nimble America Rhetorical Bait Argument #374

Everyone look and take notes

Continentals: Do the kind of interesting shit Veeky Forums cares about.

Analytics: Don't.

A trans woman IS a woman

Modal logic is fucking easy, dude. Do YOU understand it, given that you commit one logical fallacy another another in this thread and continue to dodge questions?

A trans-woman is a trans-woman.

Of course, it's spooks all the way down.

Modal logic is easy?

this is a sure way of telling me you have no idea what it is at all

so when are you going to make revolutionary breakthroughs in modal logic since its so easy...i mean Kripke did it

Are people perhaps confusing those french frauds (derrida, foucault et al) with t€he whole continental tradition?

I thought you were using a backward smiley for a moment there.

post-structuralism?

That's not how life works tho. Everyone who shares your opinions, especially in the literary world, act like this.

Look like John C. fucking Wright

well yeaj

>you
That's Icycalm's writing, not mine.

Here is one I just wrote, I bet this is more fitting here

Oh keyboard warrior.

at your desk slumpt over.
Atop of your head crowns a fedora.

Your edginess cannot be contained,
Constantly bragging about your dankass memes.

You scour fb for maidens, full neck beard in fold.
White knighting 'ma lady' thinking your speech is gold.

I don't think you'll ever stop, sitting there at your desktop
Living your life in your sheltered workshop

Oh keyboard warrior come out your troll cave
Drop in with us Normie's in the light of the day

You're so deep but why did you post that in this thread

Because idk where to post it

Implying a lot of analytics won't just rename their feels as "intuitions" to justify their claims.

analytics justify their beliefs through something called modal logic

you should look it up

The entire outgrowth of analytic epistemology since gettier stems from intuitive differences, as well as in areas like consciousness where the physicalists like Dennett and Panpsychists like Strawson and Charlmers start their work based on fundamentally different intuitions on radical emergence.

have you actually ever read Quine or Kripke? before you crticize Analytical philosophy, something you quite honestly don't understand

>narrowing the domain of discourse to only those things that support your argument
>undergenerating this much
wew lad.

just like your doing right, because then it fits with you trying to undermine analytical philosophy

so you havn't read quine or kripke

Analytical isn't dominant at all.

Maybe in anglo departments, but even then, critical theory and post-structuralism seem rather present in the anglosphere as well.

Nope, I never said that Kripke or Quine didn't fall under the branch of analytics, yet the point still stands that a lot of analytic work, at least in the contemporary sense, functions using intuitions as evidence, it's what's prompted researchers like Cappelen into their recent metaphilosophies as well as the whole experimental philosophy movement. So to try and hold analytic philosophy up as some sort of "reals over feels" is simply untrue, analytics are just less obfuscated and rely on formal systems more often.

Jesus Christ, you're not even trying to pretend you just google these names and is repeating them ad infinitum trying to look like an authority.

in philosophy departments yes....

critical theory is not part of the philosophy department you retards...critical theory is for niggers and lesbians that want to pretend to be smart

academics don't take continentals seriously

Critical theory is philosophy, it's done and was invented by philosophers, like it or not.

And yeah, I'm sure all of academia disregard people like Derrida, Foucault, Heidegger, Bergson and Nietzsche because some retarded schmuck who barely has any grapple on any philosophy and decided analytical phil will be his new alt right maymay said so.

The worst part is that even though they mostly can't handle the bantz, I'm sure there are analytical friends who'll think their retarded abstractions are gaining momentum only to discover their entire intelectual tools have become memes to Trump shills in a laotian decorative pottery mirc channel.

He's clearly a troll, just report and ignore. At least you can tell his posting style easily

how is analytical philosophy=alt right...i mean are you serious.

do you continentals find anything that is logic, mathematical or scientific somehow racist and right wing

this is the what I'm talking about...

no analytical philosopher takes critical "theory" seriously