Every time I go into a book store there's an entire table dedicated to this series...

Every time I go into a book store there's an entire table dedicated to this series, but i've yet to see it mentioned anywhere. All the signs say BEST SELLING NEW BOOK SERIES OF ALL TIME but wtf even is it? I'm tempted to get an epub of it and check it out.

It's about a Scandinavian man's father not being Hitler enough so he's considering becoming Hitler

It's like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but slightly less offensive

It's mentioned all the time here. First two parts are alright, the rest apparently not so much.

it's mentioned here like every day, and you posed this question instead of literally reading a blurb about it on amazon-- stop being such an incompetent loser.

here's the gist:
>6 parts
>"proustian"
>autobiographical
>it details his entire life in a manner that's like "opening someone else's diary and finding your own entries"
>takes his time describing things to minute details
>plain and easily digestible writing style
>raises many questions re: the autobiography/memoir in modern times
>no plot
>even the life of a self-proclaimed idiot and failure and bad man can be moving and profound

>i've yet to see it mentioned anywhere

what, your mom didn't tell you about it? it's pretty damn famous at this point.

actually sounds like it's worth a read.

and yea of course i didn't read what Amazonians thought of the book. they Harry P and shit. i don't understand how you don't understand why i would want /lits/ opinion on a book. it's like asking a black woman her thoughts on Kendrick Lamar vs asking a white supremacist his thoughts.

i'm disappointed because you asked what the book was about, not if we like it, and you could've attained that information from the book's blurb, which is literally the description of the book on amazon

i asked "wtf even is it?" That's open to a lot of interpretations. maybe if you read more you'd understand that some words and phrases have multiple meanings and not everything is intended to be taken fully literal.

i've read all these and i love them
i can relate more to these than anything i've ever come across.
they're a slog to get through in some parts, but i recommend them very highly, the good sections make up for it

yeah they're good as shit, recommend them to everyone, it's like a raw feed of life, great epic realism

I already get a raw feed of life from, uh, my own life...

Why do I need to read about this guy?

because you are you, and fiction is partly about access to other minds

currently reading book 2. having 'fun' but I feel like that's a dirty word on Veeky Forums. don't read it expecting godly prose or revelation. it's simply a very well written autobiography.

I like them a lot. Its a lot of
>tfw no gf
>tfw socially awkward
>tfw timid and over analyzing
>ftw wanna be a author
>tfw everything i write is shit
>tfw i want a gf
>tfw want sex
>tfw no gf/sex
>tfw just want to fit in
>tfw all these books are so great
>tfw trying to write
>tfw no gf no sex
>tfw trying to an author
>tfw when finally got a gf
>tfw when finally got sex
>tfw capturing feels in everyday life and formulating them very great so ppl can relate
>making coffee

Because he formulates the raw feel of life in a way that makes you go "fuck yeah i know this feel but i never had it explained like this"

I wonder if anyone will ever love literature ever again

>tfw you drink a Coke
>tfw you say 'Ye-es'
>tfw you clean the bathroom
>tfw Geir wants to have a drink

all I know is he's one handsome motherfucker

I was expecting the books to be even more deeply personal and "embarrasing" than they were after what I had heard about them. I was expecting some really "dark shit you would never tell anyone" stuff like how he'd go on 8 hour hentai binges.

i actually do feel like he's destroyed fiction for me to a certain degree by discarding all of fiction's devices -- even though whole huge parts of min kamp *are* fiction. but he's seemed to me to make the whole write-about-your-life-but-call-adam-george-and-make-it-about-a-theme thing seem so much less vital than just giving you life straight.

Idk dude. Some guy calls his home and asks to speak to Karl Ove the rapist. And tells him if he doesn't admit to being a rapist he will come to his home and beat the shit out of him.

wow...epic!!!

but he didnt actually rape her, they were con artists, so

and he said it in a norwegian accent, so its actually a comedic scene. all the books are pretty funny if you read them with the accents in your head.

Le so xddd. Holy shit you're a fucking retard.

huh? what are you talking about? thats what happened, it was a duo of con artists and they went around doing this whole you-raped-her-give-us-money-to-keep-it-under-wraps thing. so?

what's embarrasing or deeply personal about getting a scam phonecall

also, given the fact that book 5 is one of the books where he had almost nothing real to work from (3, 4 same thing) because he burned all his journals (see interviews if you dont believe me), that whole part is probably made up

after 1 & 2, he knocked the books in a couple of months just improvising as he wrote, working around the major events he actually remembered.

con artists? That is a nice way of putting it. Wasn't it a case of the women regretting the sex and then claiming it was rape?

sigh. all right, i went and got the book and i must have misremembered it because there's nothing in there it seems about them being con artists. what happened was karl ove and she had drunk sex, then a year later her bf calls him and accuses him of raping her, karl ove denies it, wants to talk to her, then she gets on the phone and says idk my clothes were ripped, it might not have been rape, but idk, these guys think it was. then karl ove says lets meet, they agree, but none of them show up, and he never hears from them again. also one of his friends says he knows this bf guy and that hes a criminal and drug addict.

so, there it is. he had drunk sex and the girl didnt know what happened and some guys (one of whom was a writer who thought karl ove's novel was overrated) wanted to rough him up for it. is that so embarrassing? idk, i dont think so.

Ya some people think it's pretty cool to be a rapist. Great board here.

haha what, is that what i said? all right.

the one where 'what i got' is him cleaning is better.

I don't see how that is embarrassing at all, but i am not the user that you replied to before.

Spoiler alert: what was awkward was when he cut his face up with some broken glass after being rejected by that woman. I did seriously not expect that so when i read it let out a loud "NO" and i cringed like fuck and i had to put the book down as i was laughing so hard. The day after when he walks to the group sitting at the breakfast table and he comes there with his face all fucked up and says "s-sorry..." What the fuck Karl Ove.. What the fuck.. hahahaha

Has his book about the pedophile been translated? Seems like it'd be in this board's taste
>man
>handsome

yeah that is embarrassing, but i dont feel like it made me like him less, because i cringed partly because i could see myself doing something stupid like that, especially when i was younger

i want to read it so bad, and if you go to google books an english result comes up published by "arcadia books" in 2002. then if you go to amazon.co.uk, you can find "out of the world" translated by karl dickson and james anderson. but you cant buy it anywhere, it seems. not even used. i want to get my hands on this dickson/anderson translation, but it appears to be a rare artifact.

>but i dont feel like it made me like him less
Why would it make people like him less? If anything people sharing their awkwardness makes them more likable.

You forgot crippling alcoholism.

Just learn Norwegian. It's even easier than Swedish.

holy CRAP min kamp 6 is huuuge

what the fuck is in it

Hilter, that is whats in it. And the worst is its really enjoyable. This guy would write some good biographies if he wanted to. Or historical fiction

I think his novel 'a time for everything' is historical fiction.

Dude is a nazi, stay away from his wok

No, the other user's right, you're just a retard.

It's more fun to read Norwegian as a swede though.

Hitler, Pepsi Max, cleaning supplies and Chesterfields.

Are those the Swedish editions of Cortazar? Are Norwegians to pleb to have their own?

Maybe they're his wife's son's mom's.

>sharing shelves
What degenerate sluts.

He lives/lived in sweden so he reads a lot of books in swedish

>atlas fugged

>all those hardcovers
Booktuber tier.

>I was expecting some really "dark shit you would never tell anyone" stuff like how he'd go on 8 hour hentai binges
Holy shit, my sides.

>buying paperbacks when you're the #1 literary fiction author in the world swimming in money and pussy

He was like 30 when he did that lol

no matter how successful your books are there's always more coke to do

A lot about the publication of the first two books and the backlash it caused. Also a lot about his wife and her mental issues.
Then there is also 100 page analyses of a poem by Paul Celan, 100 pages about the old testament, and then 300 pages biography on Hitler's youth.
It's a terrific read but noticeably different than the rest.

Also, his wife was a QT when she was younger.

Can I learn Norwegian before 2017?

Geir best girl 2bh

>spot the swede

I don't know. I'm Danish. Learn that instead of the degenerate bastardization.

When you try to include real names in your
autobiographical work but all your mates are
named Geir and everyone will think this is some
kind of elaborate joke.

>i've yet to see it mentioned anywhere
that's because you're not looking in the right places, mate, and possibly don't surrounded yourself with intelligent, literate people.

What? Are you severely brain-damaged?

>What?
Ask a more specific question.
>Are you severely brain-damaged?
No.

What if he kept learning Nynorsk instead of Bokmål?

How is it easier, though? Norwegian is so splintered that just about anything besides Bokmål is very dialect heavy. No one in Norway can agree on what even is "proper" or standard Norwegian. Also in my experience, Swedish is easier to read, "cleaner, if you will. I still prefer Norwegian, it being my native prose, but I imagine it is a headache for any non native to learn Norwegian, when your whole country can't fully agree on the right "Norwegian". Going to school to learn both Bokmål and Nynorsk was annoying. At the very least, we should only write in the dialect that is mostly common for each area, than trying to keep everyone happy learning both. Most of the kids here either forget the Nynorsk we learn in school or grow to hate the fuck of it from association.