ITT Veeky Forums-approved books that aren't textbooks

ITT Veeky Forums-approved books that aren't textbooks

Other urls found in this thread:

golibgen.io/view.php?id=1435206
golibgen.io/view.php?id=122980
golibgen.io/view.php?id=778593
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>books

books are so 20th century, why read anything but imageboard posts?

Surely youre joking mr Feynman

Both look good. Bump

Here are a few:
>golibgen.io/view.php?id=1435206
>golibgen.io/view.php?id=122980
>golibgen.io/view.php?id=778593

seconded, it's a light and entertaining read

Sapiens: a brief history of humankind

Because imageboard posts are written by children. Children are retarded. On the other hand, books are written by adults. Adults are smart.

>Goodstein

Landscape of History by John Lewis Gaddis

Bump. All of these books are shit so far.

I'm taking an undergraduate modern geometry class next semester but the professor hasn't announced what book we're using yet, does anyone have any suggestions on one I could look at?

What does "modern geometry" mean?

Like basic non-euclidean geometry? curves&surfaces? manifolds? ... stacks?

Depends on what the professor wants to cover.

Geometry by Brannan, Esplen, & Gray
Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe
Geometry: Euclid and Beyond by Hartshorne
Introduction to Geometry by Coxeter
Differential Geometry by Kreyszig

>For Computer Science and Engineering

Opinion dropped.

also i'm soon going to finish the meme collection. couple more books to add.

Are they really good though? How would you summarise each?

Modern Geometry ― Methods and Applications: Part I: The Geometry of Surfaces, Transformation Groups, and Fields
Modern Geometry ― Methods and Applications: Part II: The Geometry and Topology of Manifolds
Modern Geometry ― Methods and Applications: Part III: Introduction to Homology Theory

Great Pseud

Extreme Pseud

Big Pseud

Prometheus rising desu

Design Patterns is the most boring book in the history of the universe. Also, it is platitudes on steroids.

70% of the patterns are just code boilerplate that should not exist and does not need to exist in a decent language (like lisp).

dag yo

i've been looking for this book all my life

I would like to know what causes the misanthropy of one who, non ironically, thinks Hayek/Friedman/anyone from the Aiustrian or the Chicago school of economic thought are genuinely good for mankind.
On one hand I understand some of your worries regarding maybe the vicious nature of the common person but if you honestly think that a anarchic capitalism would in some way benefit mankind, I am sorry to say, you are disillusioned or simply a self interested dishonest prick.

>GEB
it's an interesting layman's read on recursion, but not for serious programmers or scientists

>code
likewise, also not that good

>clean code
was forced to read this for a job, don't buy it find a pdf or a summary

>introduction to algorithms
freshman CS book, not very enlightening, good exercises for sharpening thinking skills

>K&R C Book
only if you're a C programmer, not much for actual computer scientists

>mythical man month
just work a real software job and you won't gain much from reading this book other than frustrated validation

>code complete
gross

>the Dragon book
classic, get the most recent ed

>art of computer programmer
haven't read this but I have a feeling its not very pure CS

>design patterns
don't buy this garbage

>SICP
classic, read it and work through it if you haven't learned LISP

>>introduction to algorithms
>freshman CS book, not very enlightening, good exercises for sharpening thinking skills
I thought that was the canon algorithms textbook? Everyone acts like it's super dense/difficult. What do you recommend as an alternative?

It's a huge book that covers a lot of stuff, including some very basic stuff. The more advanced stuff is (probably) better covered in dedicated textbooks

This is Veeky Forums, not /g/

>Everyone acts like it's super dense/difficult

Because CS majors are brainlets

>infinitesimal calculus on there
?????

>Introduction to Geometry by Coxeter
Can't recommend this enough

Although I disagree with most of the tenants of anarchic capitalism, it's interesting to study none the less, the same with different forms of communism, like Maoism, Leninism, etc.

I view the anarchic-capalitlist philosophy as a hypothetical utopia, not as a credible guide to run the economy.

shit tier

My dad gave me this a few years ago but I was too busy. I might check it out now.

Gonna start mechanical engineering in a few months
Which one of these should I absolutely read if I'm also interested in self learning programming?

Top row. 2nd row sans PCOD if you want to have good systems knowledge. Then you can jump around wherever.

You need to be a psychology scilord to understand the author but any scitard can get behind the photon god because the time has come. A wave of light travels forward and backward in time to find an electron willing to accept the wave offering and when we pray we create those electrons in our penial, the place Jacob met god face to face. Then the energy transfers and we are one with God in heaven.

>Top row
What would be the best to start with? Is C++ good for a beginner anyways?

He's on to something. 2 or more particles possessing the same quantum state without fail, the holy Trinity. When you have seen me you have seen my father and when you see the holy spirit, you will see me.-jesus paraphrased

Yes, start with c++.

>not for brainlets

This one is God like. Good thing he doesn't start going batshit crazy about philosophy.

>infographic with 15 pictures
>3.27 MB

fuck you

Hackers by Levy is legit. Go back to /g/ though.

>Hayek
>Friedman
>Anarcho-Capitalism
How do I know you've never heard of Rothbard?

>8549605
>not a single book on contemporary macroeconomics
>not a single book focused on the mathematics behind the theory of economics and instead just austrian opinions on how human beings act

fuck this reading list, milton friedman and adam smith is the only books that shouldn't be burned

>dat bottom right.

Top jej

How rude

>nuclear power is safe and clean they say

Sorry. But I'm paying by the gig here.

The Hot Zone

Great book on the origins of the ebola virus. If you read between the lines a little you may wonder if the CDC wasn't behind its creation somehow...

can access the site
can you post the pics please?

Feynman is too practical. It's annoying. I did find it amusing when I was in high school though.

Why?
You can access the site.

Oh I see, your frustration is understandable.

>reading books on material you'll be taught in class

Love and Math by Frenkel

>not wanting to gain an actual understanding of the material instead of relying on the garbage explanations the lecturers will give you

>Going to a shit uni with shit lecturers.

i literally cant

i dont recommend that if you have anything else to read

the disclosure of antisemitism in USSR was interesting, the notion of Grand Unification Theory in maths was very interesting

but thats it, thats about 3-5 chapters from the whole book

>Going to class for material you could just learn from the book
I shiggy diggy

Stop thinking like that. There is so much that isn't going to be covered in a class.

>95 theses

TRASHED.

Mathematics: A very Short Introduction