Programming while knowing EE, math and computer engineering = god tier

Programming while knowing EE, math and computer engineering = god tier

programming while knowing only how to program = CS tier

yes or no?

Other urls found in this thread:

ospe.on.ca/public/documents/advocacy/2015-crisis-in-engineering-labour-market.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why do you want to know EE? it's not like it serves any purpose to the programmator. unless you are doing electronics

I'm awesome at programming and electronics. It's impossible to find a job that lets me do both. Managers think everybody is a software guy or hardware guy. If they know you're good at one they think you can't do the other. Jobs that only let you use half your skills feel unfulfilling.

Yes, CS majors are brainlets so any EE/Math/CpE that spends the time to learn programming will do circles around them.

Most CS majors can't even make it through a quarter of these books.

Yes. Programming is very easy and when you are comfortable with a technology then you are set for life. Like if you become a master of .NET then you are good to go and memorizing more algorithms or learning other technologies doesn't make you better in any way.

After you are a perfect programmer the only way to be better is to gain perspective and engineering, science and mathematics give you just that.

Perspective is what separates a code monkey from a programmer.

>"Taking Care of Myself"
lel

>tfw cs major
>i hate cs and don't even read my own textbooks

lol

Have you ever heard of embedded systems?
Nice pic.

CpE reporting in. I can confirm, most of the CS guys are shitty code-monkeys who just want to pass all those "hard" CS classes so they can get a degree and be hired full-time developing calendar apps in C#.

None of those guys find anything interesting. From the way they talk about it, most of them can't even comprehend a numerical methods class.
There are exceptions of course, but the majority is muh computers without actually knowing what a computer is.
Yet there are so many cool stuffs you can do like writing your own physics simulators (electronics, mechanics, star systems), writing your own ODE/PDE numerical library for learning purposes, etc. Doing experiments with inductive charging/power (designing your own special transformer [experimenting]).

My degree is probably somewhere between EECS and CpE depending on who you ask. It has it's own set of problems too like most of the retards don't have enough brain capacity to learn electronics (and other EE/engineering stuff) and CS concepts at the same time.

With a CpE/EECS degree you can probably continue in any MSc you want if you're smart enough and focused your shit in undergrad.

More or less too.
I want to add that knowing more math always makes you a better problem solver.

No.

>Have you ever heard of embedded systems?
no, what is it? Microcontrollers?

I'm 3/4 of the way to finishing my CpE degree.

I have to agree with you. CS people dont care.

What went wrong?

EE major here.

I try to learn a new programming language over every break. I do it to relax.

How is fucking off a major?

A few weeks back, I looked at the requirements for a CS degree at my uni.

...The math stops after Calc 2.

That's why I'm doing a math major in addition to my CS major.

I'm not sure anything went wrong? The CS program I finished a couple of years ago looked quite akin to this. Maybe 25% of that graph has changed since the 60s, but the overall structure is still perfectly applicable.

A real math major would be ashamed of his CS major and not even mention it.

You are gonna hate your CS classmates so bad...

That's good. CS is become more of "supplementary" major these days. The increase in graduates devalue the degree and adding another degree increases your value.

Step 1: code academy

Step 2: project Euler

Step 3: underbid CS grads for summer coding job

Step 4: use the money to pay for a real degree

I mean, it's literally not and a CS degree will still get you as much/more than any engineering disciple.

It's just a lot easier.

i doubt a cs degree is equal to or more valuable than an EE degree

>Microcontrollers?
Yes, but small computers eg. ARM (like what's inside your smart phone) can be considered too. (Search Raspberry PI for something close-ish.)
Any computer which is inside some machine controlling it or doing some other dedicated function is essentially within the territory of embedded systems. (Cars, intelligent washing machines, smart tvs, etc.)

Where I live(Canada) CS students have tons of job prospects while engineering student have an abysmal 35% employment rate, as a result many engineering grads are forced to attend programming "bootcamps" or even go back for a CS degree

A CS degree should also teach properly the theory behind computation like algorithms, data structures, formal languages, complexity theory, mathematical logic, compilers, various optimization theories, statistics, artificial intelligence, numerical methods and lot of discreet math so you know how and why things happen. You should be able to prove stuff and reason about the shit you write. Formally verifying software (and actually to an extent hardware too and they use it in the HW industry) is a thing.

Programming is one thing, being able to solve the vast majority of problems you encounter ***efficiently*** by providing a solution in the form of a computer program is a whole other thing.

>Some meme article on google says Computer Science is not worth it. So, it must be true.

Kill yourself please.

-t math major.

if you go to any half decent CS school this is what they usually teach you. I think most of Veeky Forums is retarded undergraduates who think CS at MIT is litearly ITT tech or even respectable state schools like Uni of Mass.

>Programming while knowing EE, math and computer engineering = god tierprogramming while knowing only how to program = CS tieryes or no?

What is the point of knowing how to write if you don't know anything worth writing about? This is how I see pure computer programing knowledge, great you learned how to write software, what do you expect to do with it?

Its like a language, programing. And its helpful to pick a real subject to learn about in college so that you'll have something to speak about in that language.

>CS at MIT

MIT doesn't even have a CS program. Their EECS program is basically a CpE program.

Honestly, that's how it is at most schools. At a state school the CS dept is managed by the math dept(Uni of Toronto) or in most cases in the US by the eng department.

you're full of shit. what engineering specialization has a 35% employment rate and what part of Canada do you live in?

Engineering has meme degree status in Canada, this is what happens when the only thing your country produces is low quality condominiums

ospe.on.ca/public/documents/advocacy/2015-crisis-in-engineering-labour-market.pdf

As somebody with multiple friends who went through EECS at MIT, the EECS curriculum is nearly identical tot he CS curriculum at other top-10 schools. Do you believe CS at Stanford to be a brainlet major?

I'm an EE undergrad and was hoping to pursue either a minor in Math or CS. Due to my elective choices I can easily fit one in by taking either 8 additional math credits or around 12 CS credits.

Any reason to take one over the other?

For the longest time Stanford didn't even want to have an undergrad CS program but were forced to by industry.

>want to get a CS degree to escape my shitty blue collar laborer life
>turns out it's a meme degree

Should I do computer engineering instead?

Is the OCW shit they put up on their website actually real?

If so, then even their intro algorithms course is more sophisticated than the equivalent at UIUC. We just go through data structures here while they go through DP.

I feel like a fucking brainlet now

>We just go through data structures

"Intro to data structures and algorithms" is not the same course as "Intro to algorithms" which is a second course that follows data structures.

So there's a data structures course somewhere that precedes 6.006? Where?

Not really, they're both about shit tier.

What you should actually know is software engineering (many universities offer a separate software engineering program). Those codemonkeys are taught about all sorts of abstractions, paradigms, problem solving skills, and development techniques that the other degrees you listed don't. Even though some of that shit is trivial, there is still a non-trivial quantity of it so you can't justifiably claim that it's sufficient to learn it as you need it.

For instance, neither case you listed teaches software design patterns.

>mfw an engineer thinks they know "math"

Embedded systems is the shittiest tier of programming. The projects are consistently of very low complexity and require no consideration for design issues since they're gonna interface with users in very limited ways

All these books and no sicp
>t. Node.js guru

Ive found myself using my chemical engineering knowledge a lot while programming too. Id say any engineering will help you program better

No

> low complexity and require no consideration for design issues
Oh, really? Please, tell me more.
>require no consideration for design issues since they're gonna interface with users in very limited ways
My sides. This fucking logic.

1/10 bait.

A lot of the shitty code floating around today is actually the legacy code that was counting on the progression of hardware development to make up for their lack of optimization

These days you cannot make a processor any faster and the burden of complexity has fallen upon the software engineer

> mfw I see no CLRS and TAoCP in the list.
> mfw I'm a CS major and I used more than 90% of the books in the list.
> mfw EE/Math/CpE majors in my uni actually suck at programming.

I wouldn't take anything you read here as truth. This board is full of freshmen who haven't even fulfilled their majors perquisites.

This. A lot of Veeky Forums just assume CS in their shit school is the same as everywhere.

>CLRS

Tardos is better

>TAoCP

More of a reference. AoA is better to learn from.

AoA? CLRS? TAoCP?

Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein (CLRS)
Algorithm Design by Kleinberg and Tardos
An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms by Sedgewick and Flajolet
The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth

An EE with a minor in CS tells employers that you likely:

1) substituted programming in C++/C in the EE department for one (or two) Java class(es) focused on making GUIs rather than solving problems
2) substituted vector calculus based probability and random processes course(s) with an 8th grade algebra based course on discrete probability that's barely better than "probability for business majors"
3) substituted the detailed EE/CpE computer architecture course for a CS computer organization class that spends 1/2 its time on C, 1/3 of its time on flipflops and logic gates, and only 1/6 on any computer architecture
4) took a watered down CS Discrete Math course rather than the more richer CpE's DM or Math Proof courses
5) took a weaker data structure class than CpEs do and again in Java rather than C/C++
6) took a superficial CS Numerical Methods class which doesn't require DEs over the thorougher and more useful math department's Numerical Analysis course

Honestly, it's a minus rather than a plus on your resume/CV.

>over 300k for a country of 30 million
thats like 1% of the population how do you have so little employed

You've got that backwards. It's a lot of CS majors that just assume people who criticize CS go to shitty schools and are completely unaware of the skill gap between them and STEM majors. They think that because they and their classmates struggled with Rosen, CLRS, and Sipser that the material must be very rigorous, abstract, and difficult when it is not.

It's really fucking creepy how close your assessment is to the curriculum at my school. Unless basically every school in the country does that, which is just equally as disturbing.

at my school, cs is the most competitive majors, so the people who have bad math grades/cs grades when applying to the major get rejected and usually major in a noncompetitive major like math or physics instead, which makes those majors have the very "dull" stupid vidyagame people who thought that cs was just making games, and then cs has all the smarter people, esp since our cs curriculum has lots of math

It's because all of the people here who diarly spend their time to criticize CS majors come up with something that only people from really shitty schools can relate.

For example, most of the books in this list are commonly adopted as textbook in descent CS schools.

What kind of brainlet school do you go to? You write like a retarded 5 year old.

weak /g/ bait is weak

Yeah but how many of them are required vs electives?

good job, you have good grammar on an imageboard

it's in germany, and english isn't my first language, nor do I give a fuck about how i spell online

Pick one major and shut the fuck you virgins. Nobody gives a fuck about what major you pick other than you and your employer who you are now a wage cuck to. Shudup.

>cs major
>full stack web developer/seo expert
>making great income from freelance web developing and seo/affiliate marketing.
>not a wage cuck

KEK

>web developer

>Making more money then you and not working for a corporate.
>not a virgin like you
>can work from home while getting dick sucked by my girl

Kek

>>Discussing academics
>muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job muh job

No one cares

Do you even talk to girls?

>dating gold diggers

>Yet there are so many cool stuffs you can do like writing your own physics simulator
>physics simulator
I know it is hard to understand this for engineers and other muh numbers people, but physics isn't interesting for everybody and there are very many interesting domains that don't need that. I respect people who implement model checkers more than another engineer playing with scipy and people who have a compiler as their first bigger project more than autists learning programming by number crunching (now with another AI library!)

The books about Quantum Computing, NLP, Game Engine, and humanities are electives. All others are required (I'm ignoring Taking Care of Myself from that list for obvious reasons).

CLRS is required in data structures courses, Tardos doesn't cover this part.

I just realized why you wrote that. I wrote my post in a hurry and I left out any examples applicable for CS, instead I just put in the examples for the engineers.

Anyway, the point made by some people including me in the thread was that more EECS/CpE people care at least about something (hw,sw,math,whatever) while lot of CS guys don't care for shit and all they want is a paper for their new webdev job or they're enormously misguided about the mathematics part.

>I respect people who implement model checkers...and...people who have a compiler as their first bigger project more than
> another engineer playing with scipy
> autists learning programming by number crunching (now with another AI library!)
Of course you do, because one is basically learning how to use a tool, the other one includes thinking and learning new concepts/theories.

I chose CpE over CS because I saw most of the kids in CS were only interested in web dev tier shit or making retarded apps.

While I wanted to get into software and programming, I also wanted to get into a particular specialty area (of which there are many in EE).

Since software ability will only become more and more ubiquitous over the years while EE knowledge (hopefully) becomes rarer, I think it will pay off in the future, even though the pure CS kids are making more money in the meanwhile.

Also from industry it seems to me that more traditional disciplines closer to the physical layer prize experience and seniority whereas in CS being experienced somehow paradoxically means having outdated knowledge since they hype is all about the new retarded framework or whatever. Hence the ageism in CS hiring - after a while it just doesn't become sustainable as a career choice.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense for CS to be its own major. It's a basic skill that everyone should be proficient in, like tying your shoelaces or reading and writing.

Are there any non-meme degrees that won't make me want to kill myself?

I'm not ambitious and I might or might not be a brainlet

>Anyway, the point made by some people including me in the thread was that more EECS/CpE people care at least about something (hw,sw,math,whatever) while lot of CS guys don't care for shit and all they want is a paper for their new webdev job or they're enormously misguided about the mathematics part.
I agree that CS has an enormous amount of idiots in undergrad, but my reply was more because at grad level I met more narrow minded engineers who think that if it has no differential equation, then it's trivial

>Honestly, it doesn't make sense for CS to be its own major.
It really shouldn't but because of another reason: It's an umbrella term for so many fields, that most of them don't have a common foundation and your undergrad ends up too shallow for everyone. You can't make an undergrad that prepares for e.g. automated theorem proving, machine learning and visual computing at once