ITT: Books that don't get discussed on this board enough

ITT: Books that don't get discussed on this board enough.

we were just talking about it yesterday.

thoreau was super pretentious if you ask me.

M I D D L E M A R C H

Thoreau was a hack

Not often enough.

just some casual greek peppered in the intro, nice

there's a thread every other week of some high schooler asking about abandoning society.

If I have to hear another "but he went to the shops and borrowed and the land and saw people!" argument from people who didn't read the book I'll be mildly annoyed.

Don't forget being helped by his mother bringing his Gameboy.

The way I see it, if you're going to live in a cabin in some woods and you forget your gameboy, you don't deserve your gameboy.

I forgot my gameboy when we went camping and my parents refused to turn back to get it. If such trials have taught me anything it's that man truly must be the master of his own destiny.

Found this little gem not too long ago. It's really great, I think more people should check it out, it's pretty obscure.

I wouldn't really call that talking about it. It was just a few of us bashing a couple idiots for having /r/books tier opinions on literature.

Walden is an amazing piece of literature, which is why it's sad to see that it doesn't get any appreciation here.

Came here to say this. Just the best English language novel walking through.

>Tristram Shandy
The most obnoxious purple prose I've ever read.

Lowell Bennion> Thoreau. Thoreau's ideas work for me and worked for him but I don't think that they are a guarantee of happiness. I think that his tone is too prescriptive.

:^)

>Books that don't get discussed on this board enough.

>Twiggy

I can't say what the opinions of r/books are, i've never been there.

I just picked this up last week because my dad said I "had to read it."

How is it?

It's great. Full of shamelessness and disgrace so resonant, it's heartbreaking. It's also got a few of those "post-modern" tricks that people either hate or love, but this book actually utilizes them and for a good purpose.

agree

With what?

It's a surprisingly and hugely influential text, and it's sad to see it discussed so little.

Great book. I had to struggle with the prose sometimes and with a lot of dry parts, but overall I liked it.
Also read Emerson's Nature and it was good.
Other Recommended transcendentalist works?

Self-Reliance by Emerson (of course) and a lot of his other essays.

2/10

Has anyone read it?

Abbey in general