What do you guys think about tartare? I decided to make it myself and it wasn't that bad

What do you guys think about tartare? I decided to make it myself and it wasn't that bad.

I'm not like most Veeky Forums people in that I don't consider all food to be the same.

I have the same view of tartare as I have of other meat recipes. It can be great, it can be gross.

I'm generally pretty intolerant of any tartare recipes that involve overuse of pickles, vinegar, and hot sauce type stuff. I get this nagging feeling that the cook knows something he doesn't want me to know, about the meat. Like he's got something to hide, but would still rather serve tartare than have ethics. Just a feeling, I know blasting raw meat with adulterants is a tradition. I just don't approve of that tradition.

But done with a light touch, I like it.

Veeky Forums probably will now post a bunch of stuff about how they can HANDLE tartare. It seems like people around here think food is to be suffered through, instead of enjoyed. Whether it's beer, liquor, meat, or whatever. Pretty sad, but that's poverty for you. When life is suffering, enjoyment itself is a form of suffering, I guess.

You're supposed to cook meat before you eat it dumb fuck

it's really sad that you wasted food to make this retarded shitpost

that's your opinion pidgeon chest

I think that meat should be cooked.

I've tried it, but I didn't like the texture and I thought the taste was bland, but slightly metallic. Fwiw, I love very rare steak, sashimi and raw oysters, so I'm not one of these, "ewww, raw meat, yuck" morons.

THis is bait right?

i had it at a restaurant in a town known for it's veterinary/agricultural/food science university

10/10 would eat again

he hasn't really wasted it tho, put that shit in a blender and it makes a perfectly fine burger patty

I had raw kitfo a few weeks ago, and aside for blocking the entirety of my large intestine, it was quite tasty.

ITS FUCKING RAAAAAAAW

I've made it many times. It's damn good.

Though WTF is up with the OP pic? That looks like plain raw meat. There doesn't appear to be anything else added to it. No seasoning, no capers, chives, scallions....no nothing.

Would eat/10. But:
It looks like ground beef, in fact you have to use some sort of rib eye, sliced in small pieces.
Still, would eat. How is the seasoning?

>using a blender to make hamburgers
Are you Dutch?

do u know any recipes that use a vinegar dressing like a ponzu sauce? I couldn't find a tasty ponzu sauce like the 1 i had at a restaurant, so im trying to find recipes to experiment with

> I get this nagging feeling that the cook knows something he doesn't want me to know, about the meat.
amen to that.

It's pretty common to add something like tabasco sauce (which is quite vinegary) to tartare, so I don't see why ponzu wouldn't work. I don't know a specific recipe that uses ponzu, just try mixing a little in with your beef. Something like this:

-get a piece of good quality beef filet and chop it up finely with a sharp knife
-finely mince some green onion

In a bowl, mix your chopped beef, the green onion, salt & pepper, a dash of ponzu, and an egg yolk.

Serve it on or with something crispy. Toast points or crostini would be traditional, but since you're going with ponzu then maybe find something with an asian twist to it?

That's not tartare

I ran a tartare special once at the restaurant I used to work at. It was a pain in the ass to prep, but very tasty imo. Being in flyover USA, I expected it to flop, but I actually ended up selling out by the end of the weekend.
It's hard to eat if you are not into the texture of raw meat, but definitely worth trying if the opportunity arises.

I like tartare a lot but you really NEED to ensure you know where the meat is coming from

usually I'll mince the meat myself so I know its all clean and good quality

if you bought that ground beef from wal-mart or whatever you deserve to get sick.