ITT: Bad Psychology

ITT: Bad Psychology

Hard Mode: No Freud, Jung or Rogers.

>shit-talking based sigmund "fucking kindergardeners in the ass at the end of class" freud

> people still think Freud was bad and didn't engage in the best practice of his time

A lot of Freud's work in his approach to psychoanalysis, and I recommend strongly here reading "Introduction to Psychoanalysis" compiled from his lectures, played a seminal role in framing the scientific method in psychology, and in delineating sharply empirical methods from the predominantly romantic conception of the psyche that existed until then. While several of Freud's conclusions were fault, any form of rigorous psychology would have been difficult or long delayed without the foundations he set, and his observations that there unseen machinations of consciousness largely holds true today too.

An outdated "psychologist", but not a bad one or an incompetent one by any means, no more than Newton was a bad physicist or Boyle was a bad chemist.

John William Money.

Thought up gender identity being separate from biological sex. Convinced parents of newborn twins to reassign one of the boys into a girl. Then rause the baby as a girl. Had the boy twin dry hump his twin "sister", to reinforce gender identity. The sister eventually killed himself in his 30s.

He rejected the scientific method and claimed his works were non-scientific, things that psychology as a field should avoid . I'd argue that he set psychology on the wrong track, focusing on mentalism over behavior and biology.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is pretty awful.

All of it.

All of it

All of it that isn't behavioral. The rest of psychology is not a science.

>understanding that behavioral psychology is the future of scientific psychology
Finally, someone who understands. Genetic/Biological aspects of psychology can stay too, so long as they don't try to "explain" behavior through biological states.

Evolutionary Psychology.

I prefer Scarface's heirarchy of needs

Then you get the women
Then you get the power
First you get the money

What is the psychology paradigm tier list?

>Top Tiered
Behavioral Analysis
Physiological Psychology

>Mid Tiered
Cognitive Behavioral Psychology

>Shit Tiered
The rest.

This look accurate?

How can anybody read that story and still support the tranny movement?

Because it directly supports the transgender.
It gives evidence that forcing someone to live an identity they do not feel is emotionally destructive.
>let's take this biological male who feels male, mangle his genitals and sexually harass him when he doesn't act female
What could go wrong!
>let's take this biological male who feels female, force him to live with genitals he feels are wrong, and sexually harass him when he doesn't act male
What could go wrong!

Isn't all psychology behaviour based? Like isn't that what it's about?? I'm not in this stuff sorry

this
you fucking idiot

But don't get me wrong, the tranny movement is fucking cancerous. We need to give people mental therapy and teach them to be happy in their biological sex instead of just lopping off body parts and juicing them up with hormones, and if I were to suggest this publicly I would be a bigot. Is having a transgendered mind even a real thing? I really don't think that gender is inheriet in the brain and beyond what people are conditioned to think about the two sexes.
I get that of course chrosomally abnormal people exist.

>An outdated "psychologist", but not a bad one or an incompetent one

Agreed. It's like Darwin for biology. Pretty outdated for now but not bad.

There is no scientific method when the object is human.

that's why medecine, sociology, economic, politic and psychology are not science.

Kinsey was pretty flawed in a lot of his experiments I read and lead to a lot of bullshit that the Jews liked, so basically he was a cause of rising degeneracy.

I think people should be able to live as they like.
If it makes you happy to lop your dick off (or your finger, or your leg) have at it. Just don't ask other people to pay for it.
Same goes for HRT or any drugs, really.
If you want to be genderfluid or whatever the fuck, fine.
I'm against gendered restrooms in general. As a truck driver that has to use some particularly unpleasant public restrooms, I think legislation would be better spent mandating better privacy in public restrooms in general. None of these 4 inch gaps in flimsy partitions or walls so low you can peek over them.
I have the right not to listen to your bullshit, you have the right not to listen to mine. I will not use your ridiculous pronouns, you don't have to acknowledge that I'm speaking to you if I don't.
Personal liberty is a hell of a drug.

You would think that, but a lot of modern psychology indulges in mentalistic explanations; like saying people behavior because of mental states, rather due to environmental factors.

Behaviorists would disagree with this. You assume that people are starkly different from animals to the point where they can't be studied by science, yet many of the behavioral processes that affect animals also affect humans (Respondent and Operant conditioning are a good start). Behaviorists actually go into significant detail explaining why explaining behavior with mental states is problematic (you do this by assuming humans behavior for reasons indeterminate to science).

How can you be so stupid?

Why is Jung frowned upon?

I came to this thread hoping to read people shit on why he was bad myself - personally I think he was alright, even better than Freud. Freud had little practical experience with mentally ill people (other than himself), whereas Jung did, especially in his earlier career.

Perhaps OP puts him on the shitlist when Jung got into the mystic stuff. Though what exactly they didn't like about I'm not sure, as he wasn't trying to find an answer about God or whatever from his time on it, but make connections between the mystic/religious themes all around the world. Particularly between different groups that were totally isolated as much as possible. With this, he made some framework of common symbols every human brain had already put into it, like our knowledge to breathe. We weren't taught to do it, the second we got out of the womb we just knew what to do.

any kind of modern behavioral psychology is a living fossil that should have been abandoned 60+ years ago. it's not based on science, it's based on politics.

Ill bite. Jung is bad because his theories are either unfalsifiable (collective unconscious, archetypes, etc.) or have been disproven by modern psychology (the modern variation of Jung's personality test). His theories were reliant on the unfalsifiable theories of Freud (Id, Superego, Ego) and like many psychodynamic theories, vastly overvalues internal events in terms of what causes behavior.

Ill bite. You do realize that behavioral psychology is one of the few fields of psychology that actually also applies to animals? I don't see how increasing a pigeon's behavior with operant conditioning has to do with politics or how that is some how unscientific. If anything, behavioral psychology is the least "glamorous" paradigm to the lay-person because it isn't reliant on explaining behavior through internal events (such as the mind). Furthermore, modern behavioral psychology is the most successful field of psychology for treating developmental disabilities and there is significant evidence to suggest that it is very effective at treating weight problems, drug and alcohol addictions, or nicotine addiction. Furthermore, a lot of cognitive behavioral therapies are really just applying behavioral concepts to thoughts and feelings as opposed to just external behaviors if you ignore all of the jargon terms used in cognitive behavioral therapies.

>ITT: Bad Psychology

Everything that is publicly known.

Define "publicly known" in a way that doesn't make you sound like a tinfoil faggot.

>Hurr durr, classified research doesn't exist.

the post.

no Freud? But he's literally the worst. It's a joke that you "have" to learn his bs theories. They're perverse to say the least, if not entirely retarded.

Where'd you go, BJ?

Aww... we were having such a good conversation where you assumed that I knew nothing, and pretended to be smart...

What happened BJ?

Is learning Freud an American/EU thing? My course brushed over him pretty quick in what was basically a history lecture

>Freud
>Even being worthy of being labeled a psychologist

>Sex is a social construct
No one thinks that user. Stop attacking a strawman.

>Gender is just sex
We are supposed to mock bad psychology, not indulge in it.

It might be.

Of course mental states affect behavior. It isn't an indulgence to remove the majority of the brains operations--thought, emotion--from the black box. Doing so does not imply anything magical, non-causal, or independent from environmental stimuli. Behaviorism is the flat earth theory of psychology and neuroscience.

BF Skinner

The OG Autist. The terminator of wisdom.

Skinner did nothing wrong

The self-reported type of psychology should be a good candidate for bad psychology which is a substantial portion of the field.

freud claimed his work was scientific and a step away from the usual philosophical psychology of the day (its just that everyone else thought it was unscinetific, mainly other psychologists and raging feminists), and he claimed that his theory was based on the line of reasoning made by darwin (he considered his work to be based on breakthroughs in biology), so i dont know where you got this from

as for not being scientific enough that would be because he is the fucking granpa of modern psychology. i repeat aristotle was also a horrible biologist and a faulty philosopher. shame on him

ever heard of cognitive neuroscience

medicine? seriously?

>(((Money)))
everything checks out

Thoughts on memetics.
Pic related.

>bad psychology
They were the best in their time.
It's like saying Classical music is terrible because the the majority now prefers Electro/pop music.

'Psychology is bad' is just a misconception. Humans are hard to understand while laws of physics, etc. can be easily observed, measured, demonstrated, ...

ITT: I'm better than psychologists because I major a subject that has more pragmatic outputs.

You are confusing methodological behaviorism with radical behaviorism. Radical behaviorism (what modern psychologists believe) says that thoughts/feelings/emotions do exist, but they are behaviors and can be studied as behaviors, rather than being the causes of behavior.

What (modern) behaviorists have problems with is using mentalistic terms to explain why behaviors occur. Saying a kid cried because he has low self-esteem doesn't actually explain anything about his behavior. But saying, a kid cried because you took away his toy does, as it tells you what is maintaining that behavior and allows you to control it.

Except, Freud never actually used any scientific method to demonstrate his work, rather, relied on speculation and anecdotes instead. Modern psychology hasn't demonstrated any evidence of an Id/Ego/Superego, or a lot of the other things freud claimed.

Freud isn't the grand-father of psychology, that would be Wundt. Skinner, Watson, and Pavlov are each better examples of father-figures in psychology than Freud and Pavlov wasn't even a psychologist.

Freud/Jung/Rogers were not close to the "best of their time" in psychology. An example of flawed, but best of their time would be someone like Watson, who made significant contributions but had some flawed ideas, not Freud who's "contributions" don't apply at all to modern psychology.

>bad psychology
Any and all of Chomsky's works

This. His criticism on verbal behavior was awful and his concept of a "language acquisition device" is unfalsifiable.

>ctrl-f
>"lacan"
>0 results
I'm disappointed, Veeky Forums

>There is no scientific method when the object is physical.

that's why physics, biology, geology and astronomy are not science. Only math and logic is science because they have proofs.

>Veeky Forums - Semantics and Superiority complex

This.

Meme field of study

Only if you believe Freud is the face of psychology.

don't tell me scientists aren't arrogant elitist assholes either.

Wow, what a total asshole. Researcher doing this kind of things should go to jail

lmao
autistic tripfaggot getting triggered by other tripfaggot

Psychology has quite a few of these unethical studies.

>>let's take this biological male who feels female, force him to live with genitals he feels are wrong, and sexually harass him when he doesn't act male

Who implied this?

Also

>Who feels female

In most of these cases the subject is still a child. Most of what they "feel" is trivial at that point.

If a subject managed to make it to adulthood and still have this feeling (without it being implanted in them as children by psychologically abusive parents, which is how it usually happens) then yes, they should be allowed to act like a female. And if they really want, they should be allowed to mutilate their genitals (i dont care if the word mutiliate is "emotionally charged", thats exactly what it is, unfortunately) if it helps them feel better about themselves.

Unfortunately, this almost never makes them feel better about themselves. I believe they should be allowed to do it, but just like in any medical profession, the doctor should be made to tell the patient the truth regarding the probability of feeling better about themselves surgery/therapy.

tl;dr no one is implying that trannys should not be allowed to go through with the surgery and therapy they desire (if they are of a consenting age), but we should look at the issue realistically and acknowledge that it has not shown any evidence to be a "solution" to their problem in any way. They would be far better off with just therapy, which has been evident from the beginning.

*post surgery/therapy

What.

>the sister killed himself

kek