Why is it that most Veeky Forumsposters care about little more than the 'quality' of 'prose' in their fiction?

why is it that most Veeky Forumsposters care about little more than the 'quality' of 'prose' in their fiction?
i've noticed similar things in discussion about art and music throughout Veeky Forums, people seem to be solely interested in aesthetics/'muh beauty', to the point of seemingly consciously blocking out all else.

feels like it's related to the kind of myopic autistic/alt-right worldview that's become increasingly dominant here over the last several years. white men clinging to something that was never substantial to begin with because they are too afraid to confront anything that stands outside of their childish expectations.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Funny that this got no replies, because you're right. It's mostly that these people don't have any knowledge of the arts or any ability to systematically develop a logical argument -- there is no incentive to do so when you think too highly of your own opinion because you haven't been 'proven wrong.' Everyone likes paying lip service to science, facts, and objectivity, but have no respect for actual learning or intellectual rigour and integrity. To them there is only one theory of art even though that is demonstrably false with the most rudimentary knowledge of art history.

I find it funny that they like the art of the 19th century though, when it was at an aesthetic height but an intellectual low so to appeal to the public. The internet is a weird place.

samefag

ok so what's the alternative to beauty? jewish nihilism? lol

Intellectual value of an artwork, but that's probably too jewish as well for most people on this site.

I like prose / muh aeztheticz. I also like philosophical themes, psychological complexity, social commentary, imagination. I appreciate books for how well they excel at any one of these given attributes, and enjoy different books for different reasons. Can't we read for more reasons than a single reductive category?

>tfw to intelligent for mere aesthetics

those reasons are all basically the same reason, a kind of naturalistic formalism

i like the book when it make me smile:)

What else is there to care about? That the spelling and grammar is correct?

>implying

Read shakespeare you little nigger. Its got everything you need. Prose, themes, Jesus.

You misunderstand entirely. Take a fascinating premise for a story, be it a book or movie. What makes the story interesting to its audience isn't events of the story itself, but how the events are revealed, what's shown and what isn't, what's said and what isn't. Your favorite books and movies most likely aren't the ones with the most original stories or most lofty messages. They're the ones with the most impactful styles. This is why the greatest writers and filmmakers often make compelling works about mundane activities, elevating these ordinary events into interesting ones through style - the plot and the message aren't particularly important. Look at sci-fi. A lot of terrible sci-fi novels actually have brilliant ideas and plot lines, but because the writers haven't developed the writing skills to express these ideas effectively, they end up being more boring than reading about a young boy who's too anxious to fall asleep because his mother hasn't kissed him.

What do you mean by this?

Good prose is representative of whatever other qualities you have in mind: intelligence, feeling, storytelling, something to say, etc.

There are very few worthwhile books with bad prose.

People who read strictly for sentences are a minority and authors fitting that bill aren't even really popular on here. Nabokov, Amis, Bellow, etc.

i mean they're all anthropocentric and modernist. they're like a snapshot rather than a drawing, or arborescent rather than rhizomatic

>worthwhile

there it is

Veeky Forums is full of people who feel like they have to justify their interests by making them sound important so they insist it's about aesthetics or philosophy. No other board on this site is so pretentious and full of itself. You almost never see fun, engaging conversations on Veeky Forums compared to other boards. People here see books as a means to an end, nobody enjoys reading stories.

What would different reasons be? Could you provide examples of those different reasons as well, please?

because if aesthetic is done right it reveals political commentary, psychological complexity, time period, academic concern and transcendence of academia, and whatever else. Take this painting of nicolae ceausescu hours before his execution. Everything is revealed in the aesthetic. Maybe I'm missing the point of your post

We love beauty because we want to experience it to the fullest before our miserable time on this rock is ended, which could be any second from now.

There is nothing wrong in it.

In these days it seems every idea has been made, everything has been written, so rather than bust their heads with a novel concept, it's only natural authors would want to focus on the aesthetic and the beautiful.

I don't see the connection to "white men" or the rest of your rant, you seem to be reflecting an obsession with race typical of America which other healthy societies do not possess.

>woosh
>woosh
>youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo

you sound like that faggot nobody likes who's always looking for that "meaning" in a shit painting and then claims it's an artwork too high for others to understand

semiotics, identity, the medium itself, texts, etc. pretty much anything post-modernism deals with. you don't need flowery prose for these themes.

you're using the term 'aesthetic' in a different sense to OP

What novel or short story contains these?