How would one go about creating and programming portals in the first place?

How would one go about creating and programming portals in the first place?

Is it even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0207057
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The reason teleportation is impossible is that it would take many times longer than there is time left in the universe to transfer all the unimaginably large amount of information that makes up a physical object, such as yourself

the trick is to figure out exactly what information is unique and important
because that is the only information you need to transfer
and that reduces the work needed by 99% or more

But what comes out the other end? A computer program of your personality and memories? If so, where do I sign?

There is also the problem of feeling as if you had died, which is the same problem with mind uploading. In order not to feel like the copy isn't you and that you are actually dying, you need to maintain a temporary connection with your copy's mind, so that it feels like an extension of you, before the original is annihilated.

I don't see any reason to expect that the copy would feel that they had died

unless you know how the machine works, but then it's only because you have the ability to deduce that you must have died

Sorry, I meant the original might feel that way before they're erased.

oh
that's fine, it's dead anyway

You would only be making a copy though. The you that was uploaded would be like, "hey I left my body! you can destroy that useless thing now." But the body would be like "hey my consciousness didn't transfer, wtf don't kill me pls."

You would have to do it all while sleeping.

Which you would hold /your/ current consciousness though

As far as I can tell, it would be two separate beings, with their own consciousness. So which one would you be in?

I just wanted a wormhole not a cloning device...

Consciousness is an illusion. There would be two beings but each one is just as much "you" as the other. They would both have the consciousness you're looking for. There are two "yous" now, each experiencing the "real" consciousness that the original "you" had.

There is a way to model portals that doesn't violate any law. The portal just has to receive or emit net potential energy so no momentum preserving like in Portal.
The easiest way to think about that is to ignore all energy except potential and kinetic. If you had a portal 10m above other portal and put an object into higher portal, it would get ejected from the bottom one with enough energy to reach 10m above it(ignore friction). Similarly you would need to give it the same amount of kinetic energy to fully enter lower portal.
But we don't know any way to create them though.

teleportation =/= portals.
One is the transportation of data from one point to another, whereas the other is the bridging of two separate points in space.

Well the latter is obviously impossible, so teleportation is the only alternative that could be potentially viable.

Wtf they're just as impossible.

Quantum teleportation is a reality. Yes, you can't even transfer data using it, never mind the stupid length of time it would take, but at least a form of teleportation is real. Wormholes, however, almost certainly cannot exist.

That is correct. However, I assumed that OP was asking for a fictitious hypothetical.

As for myself, I'd hope for near-ftl transportation before anything along those lines, mostly because that whole consciousness dilemma is pretty terrifying. Then again, short of a miraculous breakthrough, I doubt any will be solved while I'm alive.

Do you mean quantum entanglement? We are well aware of why that can never be used for teleportation or faster-than-light communication. Wormholes remain a real scientific possibility.

>Quantum teleportation is a reality
>but at least a form of teleportation is real

Calling it "teleportation" is another case of scientists giving things misleading names.

>Is it even possible?
Yeah bruh, shit's gonna happen we just need to figure out the last few steps in the process and we're good to go.

And ER=EPR says they are essentially the same thing.

That is only possible with conservative forces

Explain further.

In conservative fields for example 1/r^2, it doesnt matter what way you choose to get from point A to point B, work the force will end up doing will be the same no matter the trajectory, so will be the change in kinetic energy. In other cases where trajectory matters it is undefined.

Your "memories" are only the result of the structure built by your brain. Build the same structure with the same rather unique neural and chemical pathway's and you'll get everything that makes you "you". Obviously very complicated but there's literally 0 magic involved.

Krasnikov proposed a metric for making 'portals' :
arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0207057

To make a human sized portal requires 10^-2 * the mass energy of the sun in negative energy.

This is huge, but helped krasnikov make an argument

I thought recently they decreased that to about the mass energy of Jupitet

Right. I was only thinking about gravity and it is a conservative field.

Turn the blue portal upside ? ? ?

So yea. SOMA was a good game

no

came here to post this

>have to choose between being cloned and incinerated or traveling through some hellish dimension to jump through a fold in space-time

Teleportation was a mistake, trash it.

There is literally zero evidence that wormholes exist, or have existed, or do exist.

This. Portals are way better. In teleportation there no way to say if the person that came on the other side is really you.

Same shit as the black hole story. However if they ever discover one, I'll change my major to maths. Fuck physics if that's the case.

Yeah so basically an exact clone.

Back to mork and Mindy. Season 3 should be here soon

How do you know the life form you are right now is really you?

Mathematically and physically, it can exist. Much like white holes, however, here's just no discernible way for them to form nor is there evidence of their existence. One could exist in our universe, but it would either have to have come from another universe where conditions exist for it to form or it would have to use up a type of negative energy to overcome the energy of the free vacuum of space.

However, conditions in the chaotic very early universe may have been appropriate for them to form naturally, if only by chance. In this case, a wormhole could show up at any place and time since a wormhole is, after all, a bridge through both space and time.

t. Jayden Smith

Take the pic's logic.
If an object of n mass passes through the portal and then through a turbine to the portal at the bottom. It would take n energy for the portal to stay open. (Law of conservation of energy) well, what if n = infinity?

SF writer Larry Niven first proposed this idea back in the 70s, using his own teleportation "plates".

Problem is, the water keeps accelerating. After a month, it has enough momentum to destroy the Earth if you turn it off (I think it was a month...some mathfriend can work out the numbers).

Also, if you're planning to use a wormhole on Earth, you may have to worry about the heat and pressure dynamics of the two points being connected. For instance, a difference in altitude will mean a sustained difference in pressure, which will drive a continuous stream of wind from the lower-altitude to the higher-altitude site. If one of the sites is properly enclosed, however, they will eventually equalize, though in the meantime, you don't want anyone in the enclosure.

Additionally, a wormhole will have to necessarily be 3-dimensional since it connects points in a 3-dimensional space. Think less like one of the holes in Portal and more like the warp sites in Crash Bandicoot 3.

Nope.

The propagation of gravitational waves, a curvature through spacetime, will also go through a wormhole, eliminating this notion. "Down" will point toward the higher wormhole just as much as it will point toward the lower one. Makes it pretty devastating if you put the other end next to, say, Jupiter.