I don't understand why people go for math/physics degrees. an engineering degree makes you more hireable...

i don't understand why people go for math/physics degrees. an engineering degree makes you more hireable. of course the material isn't as extensive but you should be able to get the books and learn it on your own after finish first year stuff like stewart.

why would you piss away 4 years and not get better accreditation? an engineer can do a mathematicians/CSs/physicists job if they can show they know the material. you can't do the reverse; if you know engineering material that's good and all but you have no accreditation and aren't actually allowed to work in that field. so by logical deduction, shouldn't you just get an engineering degree and learn the rest on your own?

Other urls found in this thread:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

depends on where you live.
in austria/germany you get job requests sent to you when you graduate in physics

>Wasting 4 years of my life studying something I'm not passionate about.

Fuck that man. For context, I'm majoring in mathematics.

Before I got in I considered my other options, some engneerings included. Electrical and Computer... and I hated the fucking shitty requirements. A bunch of labs, a bunch of science classes, a bunch of applied engineering classes and even some non-STEM classes like "environmental something something". What the fuck?

Then I considered non-engineering but still applied degrees like CS. It was obviously better but for some reason all CS courses I found have some absolutely top homosexual science requirements like chemistry, physics and some even had biology.

I give 0 shits about all that. I just want to do math. Anything that is not math is certified BORING.

So I tried, I tried really hard but I couldn't. So I obviously went into the only degree that will allow me to not get bored: mathematics. The degree where you only do mathematics. No bullshit labs, no bullshit applied classes. Just fun.

And the sad thing is that it could be different. CS could be a completely mathematical degree. It could be 4 years of theory, some functional programming thrown in and boom, you got it. A non-shit CS degree.

Engineering too. There is so much applied mathematics which could be taught in a more theoretical manner. Instead of "Matrix Algebra with Homo Applications" you could have "Linear Algebra" in the way it is taught to mathematicians. You could replace all Physics classes with a broader set of Calculus/Analysis classes that teach in terms of theory but frame themselves in the context of physics.

But nope, we have to have labs and gay classes.

Not my cup of tea, friend. Not my fucking cup of tea. Talk to me when engineering degrees are not absolute garbage.

you go to a shit university

Engineers just design stuff,non-theoritical physicists do what engineers claim they're doing.

I love you you magnificent autist. Do some important math with your powers of 'tism.

>an engineering degree makes you more hireable.
>of course the material isn't as extensive
These two statements are incongruous

>but you should be able to get the books and learn it on your own
Are you implying an engineering major can teach themselves proper physics? To do that first they would have to teach themselves real math.

>piss away 4 years
It's not pissing away four years to learn the most fundamental principles of nature.

>an engineer can do a mathematicians/CSs/physicists job
no they can't, because...
>if they can show they know the material
they never will.

Yeah, just designing stuff totally can't be physics. Sure, you just design stuff, retard.

Keep your laughable shit to yourself.
See pic and
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/

All three winners are engineers. Look them up, they have degrees in engineering. Now, they're regarded as physicists and physics Gods.

Don't kid yourselves; in the end it all depends on your personality, talents and abilities. Whether you get a degree in EE or Physics if you're smart you're smart. It's as simple as that.

Your shitty meme degree, muh pure science!, won't make you smart, kid.

Most entry enginerring jobs prefer a math/physics background because the non math courses in emgineering are just shitty process design courses that don't help prepare you for industry at all.

Check job listing and you'll see too. Only matters if you get a masters or higher

Maybe because it interests me?

Nonsense. Sign me up for that mailing list otherwise.

Decent bait but reality is essentially the opposite, engineering as a profession is nearly all on the job training while advanced mathematics and physics take serious specialty knowledge.

Also basing your academic passion on who you will wage slave for is pretty pleb

graduate engineering is legit

Physics tends to be a better path to graduate engineering than a BS in engineering

Fuck off. Engineering is for kids not smart enough to do real math and physics or kids who have more interest in earning money than delighting in beautiful theorems. I'm not going to piss away 4 years miserably learning about communications and superficial calculus.

Because I love mathematics.

the value of an engineering degree lies in the fact that you're a stupid faggot who does whatever he's told to do

Engineering = business + science (and the science isn't even rigorous)

Prove me wrong

engineering = science - rigor

what about an engineering degree is anything like a business degree? it prepares you to work in a particular industry...not start or operate a business.

engineering bores the hell out of me. i don't care if it's more hireable, i have absolutely 0 interest in being an engineer.

this. not everyone gets off on car engines, bridges, skyscrapers...

Engineers:
>muh jobs

Maths:
>muh rigour

Physics:
>heh heh, wait till you see what Elon musk does, kid.

>arguing by appealing to a social construction as political as a prize with a monetary amount attached to it
You can study whatever you want, but arguing that one field is somehow better than another with this is pretty lame.

I didn't mean to imply that engineering is somehow better than physics that is like saying being a stonemason is better than being a doctor, pointless.
That's why I said
>Whether you get a degree in EE or Physics if you're smart you're smart. It's as simple as that.

Regarding the NP: they did achieve at least something belonging to the area of Physics.

Ultimately physicists, engineers and everyone else who likes to do physics is gonna do physics, who likes to design circuits is gonna design circuits and who likes to work on control theory is gonna work on control theory, etc.

This cancer on Veeky Forums is remarkable. Also, people like to think (at least on this board) that just because they study Physics or Math, they're now auto-magically super-smart in everything. Everyone reasonable who passed a few courses at any uni knows that's far from the truth.

>makes you more hireable.

It's people like you that's killing higher education, if you want to be "hireable" get an apprenticeship.

> if you know engineering material that's good and all but you have no accreditation and aren't actually allowed to work in that field

Depends where you are desu, in the UK you can work towards accreditation as a chartered engineer via your professional institution provided you did a mathematical degree (so physics/maths) and have worked in a particular field for a certain amount of time (I don't remember how long exactly). Not that it matters that much, job growth for engineering as a profession is practically 0 both in the US and the UK.

>Most entry enginerring jobs prefer a math/physics background
Keep telling yourself that.

Meanwhile in reality, if you don't get an engineering degree, you can't do engineering work and can never become a professional engineer.

>Only matters if you get a masters or higher
"Masters or higher" has no relevance to job prospects outside of academia, and in fact are correlated with lower lifetime earnings and more unemployment.

I don't need to tell myself anything, that's the reality of the situation. Undergraduate dick waving is stupid underclassmen behavior

Math without physics is worthless you faggot; nothing worse than a math major who can only do things on paper.

Because I'm getting an Accounting degree instead.

Quite the opposite. Math is at its best when it is not restrained by anything.

I love computer science and building shit with software. But my main interest in computer science is the mathematics behind it.

Too bad pure math makes you unemployable

Luckily I'll still study math anyways .

>math
>stuff like stewart
lmao

>an engineer can do a mathematicians/CSs/physicists job
> if they can show they know the material.
they obviously won't, you brainlet

>you can't do the reverse
lmao, engineering is trivial as fuck. just follow instructions

how can your mind be so warped that you think there's something deep and difficult about engineering and that science is trivial?

what the fuck is math with physics then? nothing of value is added. it's still math.

>hurr things on paper you're too theoretical we need practical skills like communication and leadership in out globalized world hurrr

fuck off

Is this true?

This about sums it up.

I hate to break it to you, but that is the worst example you could have used to make your point.
Perhaps the lamest thing that has ever gotten a physics Nobel.

The transistor was invented by physicists. Entire fields of engineering are off-shoots of things made by physicists to better test theories.

Stay pleb.

>lmao, engineering is trivial as fuck. just follow instructions
Are you really this stupid that you actually believe that?

Ahhh, of course, sure. Except that it's not. When someone breaks your little bubble then of course it's "lamest thing". Fuck off, kid.

>The transistor was invented by physicists
One of the two people who did the real work was an EE.

Bardeen did EE for his undergrad and when to physics for his PhD, I think.

EE on the devices side is basically applied physics anyway.

Yepp.
BSc and MSc in EE and PhD in Mathematical physics.
He was also the guy who received the NP twice.

> paper
I do love paper but let's not kid ourselves, the modern equivalent in both industry and academia is the computer.

And no one's saying that people who can only do things on a computer are being "too theoretical".

they are two completely different entities
science was born then engineering from it
we live in a society where nobody is a doctor & a physicist & a civil engineer
we trade value for value
without engineers society's not going to b industrialized
without science there is no engineering

Actually, there was engineering way back without rigorous science. Most of your points are spot on though. Engineering doesn't always care about science in the way scientists like to care.

>Why aren't engineering programs more focused on theoretical mathematics?
>muh labs
You don't seem to understand engineering at all. Proving theorems is really, really irrelevant compared to labs and such that teach product development and how to apply your theoretical knowledge to do actual engineering work.

>i don't understand why people go for math/physics degrees. an engineering degree makes you more hireable
Because some people view education as more than just vocational school.

and I say this as someone studying EE

Then, if I only care about mathematics, would I become an engineer?

OP asked just that. Why would someone not become an engineer?

There's the reason. I'm not a cuck going to do your little rat dances in labs or do "group work" or have to do fucking science. I just want my comfy math.

>math
>not 300k starting in the NSA