Is philosophy worth studying?

Is philosophy worth studying?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not really

No it will ruin your life

on your own time: yes
in school: you need to love it enough to withstand all the annoying people you'll meet in classes and in the department and in texts.

lol no

On your own, yes.
In a modern day institution, no.

Why?
> all the annoying people
what did he mean by this?
>In a modern day institution
what's the problem?

i'm only 18 but i think i may like it enough to get up to a PHD

Only if you're stupid enough to believe in rationalism.

only metaphysics, epistemology, and logic. Aesthetics is okay and ethics is shit trash

Is not the kind of thing you judge based on "worth"
I would reccomend reading some basic introduction

And to survive financially if you aren't independently wealthy.

muh polylogism

Start with Pascal.

is it "worth" getting a degree on it?

For every well-thought and well-written philosophical text, there's over a million piles of tedious bullshit that does nothing but show off some random nobody's capacity (or more often, only perceived capacity) for mental gymnastics

WHO

Too bad that even if everyone was [insert your religion here] that there would still be gay people. They'd just be chaste or volunteer to be murdered, depending on your doctrine.

The fact that you asked that question kind of shows that you should at least give it a look. I recommend starting with the Greeks.

I took "the end of civilization" to mean a good thing, since we're living in a fallen society

weekly imogen, youtube

not formally

Yes, agreed

As a philosophy major: no.

I don't regret mine but the cracks are showing already in the departments. Go study on your own.

If you want to be a leader, it is a must. Can't understand the game of politics without philosophy. They ALL use the Teachings of philosophy.

If you're not smart enough to make your own philosophy then study philosophy is potentially dangerous

nah

yeah

If you are really sure about it, yes.

This is true for everything. For every George Carlin there's a million open micers joking about the highway exits.

Meaningless buzzword

i don't know what that word even means

how can it be a buzzword if the mass of people don't know what it means
?

anything is worth studying.

How you apply is the bitch.

As a proffession, no. Even then, its only worth it on the side if you are an an artist or historian.

This post made me swallow vomit. Please dont buy into the management meme. Read dale carnegie but dont blow smoke up peoples asses, and youll be fine.

You mean in universtiy? Hell no.

In your free time, sure.

>weeklyimogen

I lost.

Only for people who just enjoy it as a quirky hobby, not for people with a sense of urgency to actually figure things out.

It's the idea that there is no one logical structure but multiple reasoning methods developed in different societies.

It's pleb-level cultural relativism.

Ask yourself what you want with Philosophy? Academic philosophy appears to me as just as much of a clusterfuck as all other academia. You will hardly make a breakthrough in Philosophy either, unless you focus on something really, really, really excrutiatingly specific.

Bingo, read and think about this shit on your own time. Going to school for it will just qualify you to work at Starbucks.

I'm considering joining a philosophy society at my university. It only costs roughly £10 to join. Should I or will everyone there be your typical DUDE NIETZSCHE AND CAMUS LMAO pueds?

My favourite philosophers are Pythagoras and Stirner if that helps.

dis

Post moar pls

I would but this is a blue board and I wouldn't know what to do without my DFW funposting.

This girl is impossibly beautiful. I know she's just a photoshoot whore, but jesus christ just look at her. If there is a god, this is one of his finest works of art.

wouldcrashmyshiponthewinedarkseawhilestaringather/10

How can you be so easily impressed with this plain looking egghead when you have internet access?

University:

If you are a humanities kind of guy, it is by far the most challenging field.

But it's still a humanities degree.

Honestly, unless you intend to go to law school I wouldn't fuck with it.

On your own:

Study literally anything that interests you, you will learn more through independent study than you will in class.

For money, absolutely not.

For enriching your mind, yes.

Nope. Anyone who majors in the liberal arts is mentally impaired.

Qualia, dullard.

qualia don't exist

>subjective feelings related to stimuli don't exist
You believe in an infallible 0-10 scale for attractiveness, don't you?

found the solipsist, overly subjective reality denier. are you in gender studies? psychology? massage therapy?

my red is your red, said everyone with an iq over 130 ever. sufficiently intelligence people can figure out that's a given. it's self evident. it's got something to do with the fact that there aren't an infinite number of fundamentally different brains.

cont...
to map infinite "qualia" injectively to brains, you would require an impossible amount of fundamentally different biological systems. you shitlord, we're all homo sapiens though. your red is homo sapiens red. my red is homo sapiens red.

You forgot to mention "literature" in your list of liberal arts majors. Did you forget you chose to troll the literature board today? It's no wonder you're so spooked.

>our brains aren't infinite
Don't tell me you don't even know about generative grammar? The small part of our brains that deals with language alone is capable of innately knowing infinite or near infinite languages after birth as a mother tongue. There is no neurological basis for the refutation of qualia. You are speaking well beyond your expertise, which must happen often for you.

all languages are subject to rules that every brain can learn and comprehend. your attempt at an argument failed right there.

I'm a philosophy major and I would not recommend it unless you aspire to become a contemporary Diogenes because those are your prospects. Thankfully, that is my plan so I'm on the right track.

who dat?

no, you could learn all that shit by yourself at the library.

why do so many youtubes appear on Veeky Forums ?

Fuck off tels, old hags aren't attractive.

You are a true patrician.

noice, what about a masters?
Weekly Imogen
That's what i'm thinking too
idk, i just love her
>>>>>>>>

Fuck off tel,

I could get a master's, but it isn't a required credential for public masturbation.

Depends on your goals. In 99% of cases, no.

Philosophy was always for the 1% though. The people who run the world, the people who have free time to spend not because they are avoiding responsibility but because they are wealthy and they already have things around them taken care of. For these people it is a means of which they challenge and enhance themselves, because when you have all responsibilities taken care of, the only way left that's "up" is developing your mind and spirit.

what if i'm a neet whose mom does everything for him? and dad pays everythang?

>short ass post
>makes a cont. instead of two posts
>"with an iq over 130"
>implying that means something
>reference to gender studies

You and your family most likely do not run the world or are even part of the top 1% that are within the cultural vicinity of the world's leaders. So, you interested in and studying philosophy is a waste of yours and eventually everyone else's time.

You're that guy are was talking about qualia about with before and claimed we could somehow be sure "what it's like to be a cat", aren't you? Why do you stress about the lack of surefire knowledge about the nature of qualia as if this meant everyone must somehow have completely, incomparably different experience, when the fact is that we simply don't know and so can't rule out that certain differences might exist because we're not sure. I mean, surely you don't deny subjective experience, right?

You can't rule out that certain people perceive the world quite differently. I'm actually sure of this myself, as I've personally experienced radical shifts in my perception of qualia, so I know first hand that people to in fact experience the world differently and that someone's perception of the world can have significant subjective changes.

why would you go to university for a degree in it lol

just study it in your own time

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

Somebody has never been in a good philosophy course.

It's more than just the lecturer reading. In fact, a good philosophy course shouldn't even have a real lecturer, it destroys dialogue.