Wanting to be a professional novelist

>wanting to be a professional novelist
This is literally the highest form of delusion. Most authors with respected books have other jobs, as professors or journalists. Very, very few people make a living off writing books.

>Most authors with respected books have other jobs, as professors or journalists

Those are jobs that are innately respected, rewarding and enjoyable to people though

ok tolkien

What's your point? They have jobs to pay their bills, books are just nice diversions and some supplemental income

>in it for the money

>Most authors with respected books have other jobs, as professors or journalists

such as whom?

>Very, very few people make a living off writing books.

Very, very few people make a living off writing in general. what's your point?

>They have jobs to pay their bills

Who are you speaking of and how do you know? Some of these people may be rich, some could maybe have a decent income off books and simply want more from the work on top

do you enjoy not starving?

No

>what's your point?
That writing is a stupid career choice

Do you believe thats news to anyone?

yes, yes I do

Well you're wrong

so...it's a stupid career choice, because very, very few people do it?

Well, very, very few people are doctors, lawyers, firemen, mechanics, accountants, etc when you compare it to the rest of the population too. So fucking what?

Also you're making the assumption that a lot of people here actually want a career in writing, aside from the 18 year olds taking their first intro to college literature courses, and are basically in their second, "I want to be a cowboy when I grow up!" phase. Trust me, their course is self correcting.

Other than that, the basic jist is that if something is hard, don't try, because some loser on the internet says so?

what's this meme called I enjoy it

It's called kiss my ass it's monday morning I don't owe you shit

>Well, very, very few people are doctors, lawyers, firemen, mechanics, accountants, etc when you compare it to the rest of the population too.

This is a dumb comparison, the proportion of people who attempt to become any of these and those who exceed is tremendously higher than those who succeed an attempt at becoming a writer

But I'm already an author who has ghost written

Yea thats exactly what we need, another novelist cloistered in academia.

Why is that bad. Why is academia bad.

Ghost writing doesn't count

How the fuck does it not count

please cite sources.

You know how many people I know who got pre-med degrees, only to find out getting into med-school is basically impossible. Or attempt any of those other jobs and figure out that they're actually really shitty jobs and they don't want to do it?

Even if the chances of becoming a writer aren't good, it's not like failing at it is the worst thing that can ever happen. Pretty much all the successful people I know, including successful creative people, are people who have failed at dozens of things they've attempted before they found that one thing they had a real flair for and could make money at it. So maybe you won't succeed at the first thing you try, like being a writer for example, but at least you're out attempting things, and learning from it, and being active in your own life.

A pretty good roadmap on how to be a complete failure, however, would be to sit around and do nothing, because you're afraid of failing, and because you think there's no way you can succeed. Or maybe, trying one thing, failing at it, then posting your bitter philosophy on a chinese cartoon board for the rest of your life.

Acadamia has a habit of producing very bad, pretentious literature that nobody can understand, and the authors pull the old, "Well, it's obviously way above your heads, because I'm just so much smarter than all of you, I mean look at my degrees!"

Even if this is true, it's still not a good read.

>t. dumb pseud

>Acadamia has a habit of producing very bad, pretentious literature that nobody can understand

Then stop reading for professionals, stop getting into art and not understanding it because you're not in the community.

Stop putting your nose where it doesn't belong, stop blaming it on leftists and academia.

ok.

I had a psuedo-job editing for this M.F.A idiot who wrote stories solely on Stalin and communist Russia. For one, the dude was completely unsuccessful at it, he got a short story. published in a obscure magazine like 15 years ago, and has produced hundreds of stories and books since, none published.

So all his stories were about Stalin....sort of, I mean, he never really said anything philosophical or in depth about Stalin or Russia, or anything. It was basically, "See, I know the basic facts of Stalin, and communist Russia, so as you can see I'm really smart!" but he never said anything interesting about the topics. So all the stories had this as a backdrop, and then basically blended genre fiction plots, but he thought since he included Stalin, this somehow made it Literary Fiction.

I made a comment to him at one time, that Stalin isn't really an in demand topic, maybe he should try writing about something a little more relatable and current, his response was, "I see that you're really not on my level. This is a shame." I'll never forget that. Really I just sort of worked for the guy because I thought he was fucking nuts and he gave me tons of lols.

That sounds like a tragic novel itself.

Thanks for the idea senpai

He also thought that his rejection letter were signs of "serious interest." in his work.

Like he had a rejection letter from the New Yorker, how he ever even got them to read his shit I'll never know, but it basically said, "No! And you really need an editor for your work!"

So he'd show everyone this letter, saying that it showed that they were seriously interested in his story if he could get it edited.

Be sure to include that.

>He also thought that his rejection letter were signs of "serious interest." in his work.
>Like he had a rejection letter from the New Yorker, how he ever even got them to read his shit I'll never know, but it basically said, "No! And you really need an editor for your work!"
>So he'd show everyone this letter, saying that it showed that they were seriously interested in his story if he could get it edited.
>Be sure to include that.

Poor guy