A thought popped into my head today, and It's starting to bother me

A thought popped into my head today, and It's starting to bother me
So, Tidal power, right? we can generate electricity from tidal movement. Tidal movement is caused my the movement of the moon, but wheres the moons momentum coming from? gravity, right? But you need energy to move things, wheres the moons energy coming from? gravity again? but where's gravity getting that energy?
where's the electricity from tidal generators ultimately coming from? whats being lost and where?

Have you taken high school physics? The moon stays moving because it is moving and has a lot of mass, and has very little resistance to its movement. Inertia, man

>but where's gravity getting that energy?
This is a new type of trolling?

energy has to come from somewhere, the answer cant just be "gravity"

Gravity is not energy. Gravity is just how the energy is transferred. If you attached a stick to the moon that stretched to the earth you could generate it that way too. The energy comes from the fact that the moon is in motion. Yes, tides do take energy from the moon and slow its orbit. But only a minuscule amount

but the only think keeping the moon in motion is gravity

Can't tell if retarded or trolling. The only thing keeping the moon in a circular path is gravity. The thing keeping it in MOTION is inertia.

actually if you attached a stick to the moon and used its friction to make energy the orbit would eventually decay

the inertia built from an orbit is the direct result of gravity acting on an object

Okay, I'm convinced you're retarded now. Do you know how much kinetic energy the moon has?? It's in the order of 10^28J. Tidal energy on earth causes orbit decay but it's so small it's irrelevant

What? Attend a high school physics class before posting such stupid things

Very incorrect.

The how the fuck does a gravitational slingshot work?

No, the effect of gravity on an object with its own inertia produces orbit. You don't need an orbit or external gravity for inertia to exist.

It works because the planet is moving. With a stationary planet, a gravitational slingshot will not accelerate you at all. Honestly curious, what is your level of education?

You can build inertia from an orbit but the object has inertia after and before the gravitational assist that is not related to external gravity. You implied that inertia only exists through external gravity.

Mass of moon makes tides on earth bulge, as such this is causing the moon to slow down so there is your lost energy

>make artificial sland
>put tide aborvers or whatever all around it
>????
>free energy

Why no one did this yet?

A big thing with a HOLY SHITLOAD OF SHITLOADS of mass is able to lend a tiny ass fraction of it's total momentum to a comparatively small body. The small percentage is able to do wonders for the skin of the smaller mass.

I want to see humanity generate so much energy from tides that the moon falls out of orbit.

Copper losses and probably isn't that much power.

Almost.
The rotation of the Earth causes the bulges (both sides of the Earth from the Moon) to lead a bit ahead of the Moon. It is this offset that causes the Moon to increase its orbital energy thereby increasing its orbit. A higher orbit means slower orbit, longer period. Also, this bulge causes a drag on the Earth's rotation, as the bulge is pulled by thew Moon. This causes the Earth's rotation to slow down. This transfer of momentum from Earth to the Moon will eventually result in a longer lunar orbit that matches the longer Earth day, and we will have a Moon in a geosynchronous orbit, and tides caused solely (pun intended) by the Sun.

This.

The issue is the same with all forms of alternative energy. By the time you invest the energy required to create and maintain the material to harness the energy, you have already spent more than you will ever gain back. Maybe break even if you are lucky.

The fact of the matter is most people don't understand how ridiculously efficient chloroplasts and mitochondria are are capturing and combusting energy. We are still far away from moving away from organic fuels.

Unless of course you count nuclear but I guess people would rather the Earth become irreversibly hot to the point it is not habitable for life as we know than take the miscue risk of a small portion of the planet needing to be quarantined for a comically insignificant amount of time if a terrible accident occurs.

and then one day earth will be tidally locked to teh sun

the question is, where will moon?

>The issue is the same with all forms of alternative energy. By the time you invest the energy required to create and maintain the material to harness the energy, you have already spent more than you will ever gain back. Maybe break even if you are lucky.
That's nonsense. There was one random blogger who wrote an essay about that, and people have been spamming it on Veeky Forums ever since.

I don't even know what blogger you are talking about. It's simple hard science. There is a reason "green energy" industry has to be so heavily subsidized to become profitable.

But the I'll bet your the type of person to run ethanol fuel because they think it's saving them money because it's "cheaper".

>It's simple hard science.
When has saying that ever made it true?

>where's the electricity from tidal generators ultimately coming from? whats being lost and where?

The earths spin, and moons orbital velocity.

very slightly.

Perhaps. I suspect the Sun will go red giant long before that happens though.

The moon is actually slowing down. At some point, the moon was flung towards/out of earth and thereby received it's present momentum/energy.

Hellloooooooo....