I'm trying to read the Myth of Sisyphus but I'm not getting it. Am I retarded?

I'm trying to read the Myth of Sisyphus but I'm not getting it. Am I retarded?

No. Camus is not a very good writer.

just watch some JAV instead

The message is to "just b urself." There you go. Also, the other essays aren't worth it. Also this

i see. i mean i got the general message but it seems to like he could've explained his ideas in like 10 pages or something.

two types of suicide, physical and philosophical both are bad don t kill y ourself or be dogmatic /thread

Yeah, that Nobel is just for show, right? Your jealousy is palpable.

WOW this level of misunderstanding of basic existential concepts is why I left this board.

Plebs usually mistake the message for "just be yourself" crap, when in fact it has much more going on that just that. You have to be an idiot to not notice a subtext in the entire thing.
Ask yourself the next question. Why did he wrote archetypes for his possibles absurd men?

Off-topic, but not worth making a thread over

Can anyone tell me what book this banner is from?

i really dont. explain to me. i've never struggled with a book this much in my life.

ur still on this board faggot i didnt even read the book i just reprhased the wiki article for op

>"I left this board"
>past tense
>ur still on the board lol
>ppl cant cum back

I'm visiting this board for the first time in months (I've been busy with my PhD in Mathematics.)

I want all low IQ people to leave this board. If you can't prove that you at least went to college then shut up about Camus.

Il faut commencer avec les grecs.

Nobel is for his fiction, not his stoner-tier philosophy

>grasping at straws
His "stoner-tier" philosophy is more popular than whatever brand of meme "muh spooks" or post-ironic psuedo-nihilism you believe in. It has literally brought comfort to hundreds of millions at the very least.

>muh popularity
>"it's comfy tho!"

frat boy pseudo-philosophers leave

Explain how whatever you believe in is "better" than existentialism. Within existential or teleological realms of philosophy, there is no right or wrong, only useful or not useful. I'm contending that existentialism is useful for keeping people happy and productive.

I guess existentialism is perfect for blind-leading-the-blind utilitarians then. A better philosophical system would rely on a form of salvation, since hopelessness arises necessarily in existentialist frameworks (especially Camus' "Be content with hopeless repetition unto death").

I invited you to name a better philosophical system. Please do so.

>blind-leading-the-blind utilitarians
That's a very childish way to look at Utilitarianism. It's going to be the most successful form of morality of the century, most likely. Whatever horseshit you believe in will die out anyway, so why bring it up?

>a form of salvation
If you're actually unironically religious in 2016, you need to kill yourself posthaste. Otherwise explain what you mean by "salvation"

Utilitarianism is the faggiest philosophy of all time and all people who follow it need to be curbed.

Aside from your "dank meme" picture, can you explain what is "faggy" about utilitarianism? If you aren't just parroting someone else, just try to attack it with a reasoned argument.

No worse than your "dank meme" philosophy. Utilitarianism is a deluded joke.

I'm learning French and this was the first sentence that I have seen outside studying that I was able to read without any aid.

B/c you're not omniscient and omnipotent. You can't control your own/large masses' of people suffering and pleasure because you can't control fate. Sometimes life is counterintuitive and suffering turns out to have been better due to a twist of fate than going the utilitarian way.

Camus is not an existentialist.

Just stop, my dude, he has nowhere to go so why are you pushing him?

He's a dudelmaolifeissooooooabsurdist

This is the worst argument against utilitarianism I've ever encountered.

Congrats! It feels good when the pieces start coming together.

Topkek, you're so stuck up your own ass you can't understand commonsense. Have fun being Don Quixote. You can't rationally quantify what happiness or utility for a large group of people is, everyone is different. kek

Utilitarianism has no moral conscience and it's simply pack mentality working under "efficiency." Kill yourself if you want to maximize utility/happiness.

Quick, what is the difference between existentialism and absurdism?

The sound of one hand clapping.

Bo Burnham - Egghead

One is existential- and the other is absurd-.

thanks pham

Good answer
Bad answer

Formidable! On se sent bien quand les pieces commencent a se mettre en place.

It took me a while but I see what you did there.

Nah, my answer was hilarious

No. His memoirs and fiction express his philosophy better than his philosophical writings do.

I gave you a response. I want to hear yours.

???
Did you reply to the right guy?

Yes, just think of all the fiction that Russel and Churchill wrote, oh and let's note forgot the most fucking recent laureate who is an investigative journalist. Fuck off and actually learn something.

moral conscience is ironically sleeping thought

>philosophocal worldview that has existed for a long time and defended by real philosophers
>lol they all forgot about common sense!
Is Marxism wrong because he forgot about human nature too?

I hope you're joking, because you're an ignorant asshole if not.

Mowing the lawn is a sisyphean task, no? You only mow it so it doesn't get out of control and in a way it's pointless and could be replaced with more useful things like a vegetable garden.

I literally mow my lawn to mow my lawn the next time.

Yes but only because absolutely everything is a Sisyphean task without exception. There is nothing in mowing a lawn that is particularly more Sisyphean than anything else except perhaps that it's easier to see the pointlessness of it.

Exism: DIY meaning; free will
Abism: Is there meaning? Maybe. Should we look for it? Maybe; no free will

>Is Marxism wrong because he forgot about human nature too?

yes

Marx was a hack

I quoted you too because I felt like you were attacking me in the heat of the moment. Sorry.