Sound has harmonics

>sound has harmonics
>light has harmonics

Does mass have harmonics?

How would we tell?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_resonance
reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/vyoip/does_electromagnetic_radiation_have_a_harmonic/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

mass is not a wave

what if its lava.

my BBC has harmonics inside your wife

Does gravity have harmonics?

>Does mass have harmonics?

yes.

>youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

engineers have to design around the natural frequency of a structure. next time you get on a plane, pay attention to the moment when the plane shudders slightly on take off. thats the engines hitting the resonance frequency of the plane and then blowing straight through it by ramping up.

interesting question. i'm not sure about the answer.

if i remember correctly, it was claimed a while ago that gravity waves were detected experimentally. but harmonics are typically thought of as wave solutions with fixed boundary conditions. think of a guitar string fixed at both ends. i don't know whether it's possible to have boundary conditions like this for gravitational waves.

This is the same phonomenon that causes sound to have harmonics. Its not what im asking.

.>fixed boundary conditions
light doesn't have fixed boundry conditions

this probably won't satisfy you but w/e
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_resonance

>sound
is vibrating mass...

i think you are overcomplicating this.

Wouldn't harmonics of mass essentially be the same as the harmonics of sound?

Harmonics => waves.

I'm talking about harmonics that result due to a particles wavefunction (if they exist).

I'm not talking about sound.

Yes they're called energy levels OP

Then why aren't energy levels all in multiples of an integer? Its not the same thing.

>light doesn't have fixed boundry conditions

Well, neither do strings, but these boundary conditions can be imposed by the experimenter. Similarly, you could imagine an electromagnetic field between two conducting plates.

Also you might find this interesting:

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/vyoip/does_electromagnetic_radiation_have_a_harmonic/

gravity IS harmonics

what now?

Because the wavelength is related to the momentum of the particle and not it's energy directly.

Also you get different energy levels based on spin and angular momentum that don't really have an analogue to sound. However, solve the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a box and you'll see multiples of wavelengths.

You can get harmonics of light in a vacuum. I think you are using the term boundry conditions too losely here perhaps?

>the wavelength is related to the momentum
For photons only. Not for mass. Interesting point about the particle in a box proof. However I think this is due to standing waves imposed by the boundry conditions, similar to how a lasers modes are developed.

>mathematicians larping as physicists

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave

Everything is a vibration.

>However I think this is due to standing waves imposed by the boundry conditions

Also, just what do you think harmonics are? You need boundary conditions for harmonics.

Harmonics are a component of a wave.

you could argue that all matter is a vibration

but mass is not matter. it is an abstract property of matter, like length.

>For photons only. Not for mass.
What do you mean by 'mass?' Massive particles? At quantum scales those have wavelengths proportional to their momenta. Idk what else you'd be meaning.

>However I think this is due to standing waves imposed by the boundry conditions, similar to how a lasers modes are developed.
That's how any harmonics ever are developed. Quantized string modes (harmonics) in string theory are about boundary conditions on the string. Anything at the quantum scale you stick in a box or macroscopic waves trapped in a cavity will have harmonics.

I'm not sure what you're asking or if you really understand what you're asking either.

Wow. We have the technology today. We can do this today.

mass is a property of certain types of waves

First of all, it's not clear what you mean by just "harmonics". Are you talking about standing waves?

Next, according to quantum field theory, all particles are quantum excitations in a field. For example, electrons are quanta of the Dirac field, and photons are quanta of the electromagnetic field. So in principle, you can have "matter waves" for quantum fields.

We can make standing waves for sound in multiple easy ways (using tubes and stuff), and we can make standing electromagnetic waves using shells of conductive material.

Making standing waves in a matter field such as the Dirac field (which gives rise to electrons) isn't as simple though. Maybe it could happen in some sort of condensed matter physics scenario.