How do I go about reading the Dune Series? What books do I read first for the best experience...

How do I go about reading the Dune Series? What books do I read first for the best experience, as I heard that the son of the Author is a shill and the books he published are shit but I do not know which ones.

How about starting from the first one? You fuckijg nigger idiot.

Which first one, scrotelord? The prequels? or the 'Original' ones.

Or, going by your vocabulary, I bet you don't even read.

Read the ones in chronological order that the father wrote, dont read the sons at all

READ THEM IN THE ORDER THEY WERE PUBLISHED. HOW HARD IS THIS TO FIGURE OUT.

Nigger, how is the prequel the first one? The first one is the first one that was written.

Not if its even firstiest.

Just read the first one

If you're lucky, some nice Veeky Forumsre may post the Dune reading order info graphic.

But you may also have to sleep with them afterwards.

Lmfao

i would add to this list the Dune Encyclopedia, which came out after God Emperor, even if Frank Herbert said it wasn't canon... it was infinitely preferable to the giant robot battles of the prequels.

not the prequels. never the prequels.

Given that according to the OP you already know that the son's books are shit, why are you even asking about the prequels?

The Dune reading order image is the most pointless guide ever. It's literally 'you liked the last book? Read the next book!' repeated several times.

dune messiah children god hectics chapterhouse

I think I have it straight now. In terms of Dune story chronology, it starts with the Legends of Dune trilogy:
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad (2002)
Dune: The Machine Crusade (2003)
Dune: The Battle of Corrin (2004)

Then the Great Schools of Dune trilogy:
Sisterhood of Dune (2012)
Mentats of Dune (2014)
Swordmasters of Dune (TBA)

Then the Prelude to Dune trilogy:
Dune: House Atreides (1999)
Dune: House Harkonnen (2000)
Dune: House Corrino (2001)

Then it gets tricky. The Heroes of Dune planned tetralogy takes place in between and during the original early Dune novels (in full caps), so:
DUNE (1965)
Paul of Dune (2008)
DUNE MESSIAH (1969)
The Winds of Dune (formerly Jessica of Dune-2009)
CHILDREN OF DUNE (1976)
The Throne of Dune (formerly Irulan of Dune-TBA)
Leto of Dune (or perhaps The Golden Path of Dune--TBA)
GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE (1981)
HERETICS OF DUNE (1984)
CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE (1985)
Hunters of Dune (2006)
Sandworms of Dune (2007)

Even fussier are the collections:
The Road to Dune (2005) contains letters, unpublished chapters from Dune and Dune Messiah, a story ("Spice Planet" based on an outline Frank wrote & shelved prior to writing Dune itself), and short stories "A Whisper on Caladan Seas," "Hunting Harkonnens," "Whipping Mek" and "The Faces of a Martyr" (+ "Sea Child" in the paperback) all by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (all of which take place at various different points in the series chronology)
Tales of Dune (2011, only available as an e-book so far)has three stories: “Wedding Silk,”“Sea Child” and “Treasure in the Sand." Bonus material includes “Dune: Blood and Water” and “Dune: Fremen Justice.”

*titles in caps are Frank Herbert's six original novels; the others are all co-written by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson).
Only read the books in full caps by FH.

>goes to the trouble of working out a chronology for a whole load of books
>concludes by saying "all but the six obvious ones are shit, don't bother"
why.jpg

Jesus Christ dude, PLEASE DO NOT POST PENNY ARCADE ON ANY FORUM, WEBSITE, OR IMAGEBOARD WITH THE EXCEPTION OF REDDIT

how have you never fucking heard this?

The chronology question was bothering me, so I worked it out. Having read some of the non-Frank stuff, though, I didn't want others to waste their time.

Just read the first one, and even then kind of stop paying attention towards the end, you'll know when cause it starts to get stupid

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse Dune

>fin

Last night I started reading Dune again. Reminded me how great of a story it is.

i've never been to reddit, so i wouldn't know. i've hung out here for about four years, and your feeble waving-baby-fists tantrum is the first i've heard of it.

>words words words words words

do you deny their relevance?

"Even if you have never read a Dune book, the plot synopsis of the latest Dune novel written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson should be enough to get your blood boiling:

Sandworms picks up where Hunters left off: The no-ship Ithaca is still searching for a new homeworld for the Jews and Bene Gesserit, while Duncan evades the tachyon net of the old couple, now known to be Omnius and Erasmus. In the Old Empire, Murbella attempts to rally human kind for a last stand against the Thinking Machines. The New Face Dancers continue to infiltrate the main organizations of the Old Empire at all levels, having also sent the gholas of the Baron Harkonnen and young Paolo Atreides to Omnius' capital, Synchrony.

Brian Herbert has not just tarnished his father's legacy, he has ridden atop a burning money train straight down the gullet of his father's dessicated corpse, exploding it in a shower of creepy sex scenes and lame multi-page descriptions of giant robots fighting. Burn in hell forever, Brian Herbert. I hope you slip and fall in that new bathroom."
- Zack Parsons