Is it rude to ask for things that aren't on the menu?

is it rude to ask for things that aren't on the menu?

for example my favorite meal to eat out is pho with an order of vegetarian salad rolls on the side

i don't eat seafood or pork so if that's all that's on the menu i just ask if they can make ones with whatever vegetables or tofu instead

they always do it, and if they refused i would just never eat there again

in return they get to make more money by charging me for meat and serving vegetables and i'm a happy customer

my friend got all weird and uptight last time we went out and i asked them to make me veggie rolls. i really don't see what the big deal is...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hG6U9WAdppo?t=16
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you might have an intolerance to eggs

that's kind of how it starts

try not eating eggs for a few days and see if it clears up

I dont see the problem with that as its simple. If you read through the menu and pick out different ingredients to make some totally different dish they might not do it. I don't mind either way when I get a request like that as long as its reasonable.

the person you're eating with might think you're a picky eater or a dick

Chef and former FOH here.
My take is removung stuff is fine, replacing stuff is fine within reason (chips in stead of fondant tatties is fine, asparagus is not). To be quite frank, anyone with difficult dietary requirements or particular tastes ought to check the menu online or call to work something out. One place I worked at asked for requirements for every booking after some stupid cow complained.

complained about what?

Some people are afraid to speak their minds. I don't see the harm in asking

Is it rude to ask for shit that isn't on the menu? Yes, very much so.

But when you say that, understand that you sound like you're asking for pizza at a vietnamese place.

Is it alright to ask if you can have X without the meat? Yeah, that's not a big deal. Keep in mind though, if you don't say you're a vegetarian, you're almost guaranteed to get whatever normal beef/chicken/etc broth they use.

what is so special about this food. why not make it yourself???

if I want spaghetti, for example, I make it myself.

Celiac vegan that insisted produce had to be from Scotland. Head sent out a salad for start, main, and she left when desert went out.

>Head sent out a salad for start, main, and she left when desert went out

I don't speak bonglish. what does this mean?

As long as you don't act like an asshole I think you will be fine.

I hate these fucking people so much but aren't they more common in upscale places? How much as an entree at your place?

After the lady requested specific foods, the head chef sent out salads for every course. When it had reached the point of desert, the lady threw a hissy fit and left without paying.
I would say you get a few in every sort of eatery, till you start going over 100 quid a head, the exception to that being members clubs. The place where that lady occurred was a bit of a casual lunch/formal dinner affair and starts were around 15-25 pounds IIRC

Did he give her a salad for dessert as well?

Look around the restaurant, is every seat filled? Are the servers running around?

If so then fuck your special orders, the cooks in back are running a goddamn marathon assuredly and have little patience with your special request.

If the restaurant is running normally is slowly they should have no problem and ask away. When I was a cook I actually enjoyed special requests during slow moments because well it was a change of pace.

youtu.be/hG6U9WAdppo?t=16

Spaghetti is just throwing the shit on boiling water. OP's dish takes quite a bit more effort, plus it's more expensive and troublesome to get all ingredients. And also there's the joy of eating outside and have people serve you.

Do you really need the concept of eating outside explained?

Yes.
Yes I do.

based vic

Yes, was a fruit salad. Bloody Glaswegians.

The absolute madman!

It's note rude, per se.
It is perfectly acceptable is ask anything, provided that you employ whatever modicum of niceties and such that the scenario demands.
At it's worst, such a request is.... asinine.
Hope this helps!

>is it rude to ask for things that aren't on the menu?

Not at all.

But, you need to be aware that it may not be possible or practical for them to do what you ask. Many foods are prepared in advance to some degree which might make it impossible for them to handle your request.

Can you stop posting this everywhere? It's just a weak attempt at birthing a meme.

This, word for word. If i have free time while not getting my ass kicked i would love to make you something not on the menu. Like anaon said it's a change of pace.
Op i think you're overthinking it.