Is Introduction to Statistics hard? Would it be harder than College Algebra?

Is Introduction to Statistics hard? Would it be harder than College Algebra?

Can somebody list all of the things I will study in Intro Stats, P L E A S E?

literally piss easy just do the homework and be ready for tests

what is college algebra?

>Can somebody list all of the things I will study in Intro Stats, P L E A S E?

They have things for that already pre-made. I think they call em textboots or testbooks, somethint like that.

it means high school "algebra" done in college

depends on what "college algebra" means

>Would it be harder than College Algebra?

No it wont be harder, unless you never got confident with algebra. If you barely skated by in algebra it will be hard, but it wont be the statistics that is hard but the algebra within it.

This is basically what it means.

By the way, does intro stats mean high school stats done in college, as well?

>No it wont be harder, unless you never got confident with algebra. If you barely skated by in algebra it will be hard, but it wont be the statistics that is hard but the algebra within it.

What algebraic concepts will I use in stats?

>What algebraic concepts will I use in stats?

Literally all of them, except trig.

Functions
Logs
Graphing
etc...

>does intro stats mean high school stats done in college, as well?
depends, you could have a master's level applied mathematics class named "Introduction to statistics" as well.
most likely it is, though

please don't use adjectives like "algebraic" to refer to high school "algebra". you will probably have to manipulate expressions and polynomials, expressions involving roots, exponents, etc etc

Long story short stats is:

Experiments
Algebra
Probability

But real talk, get a text book for a guide for a general outline at your level, not Veeky Forums

Quad functions, y=mx+b, and so forth? Would this mean Intro stats is harder than college algebra?

It's all like bell curves and standard deviations and shit

"college algebra" sounds like it will be the easiest shit ever.

I just finished an introductory stats course this past term. I had a really cool prof and made it through. Was slaughtered by the final exam for various reasons, but all in all I actually really enjoyed the course and was able to take a lot from it. We mainly covered measurements such as mean median mode, min and max, interquartile ranges, standard deviations, z-scores and then some bell curves, normal models, probabilities.

I didn't do the homework or use the text at all and managed to get by but I wouldn't recommend it. Stats is super applicable to just about everything, especially my discipline (geography) so if I could go back in time I would definitely take the course more seriously.

kek definitely saved this

I can only speak about college algebra. I tutored the subject and it is significantly more rigorous than high school algebra. In my school it was essentially a pre-calc class without trig. However this course was over 1 semester whereas similar courses for highschool students would be over the equivalent of 2 semesters.

You should learn this in high school regardless, though.

its just highschool algebra with an hour of homework each night

Can you list all of the concepts I would study if I were to take College Algebra? I want to be prepared

>College Algebra

No, dont be lazy, you have the internet. You have google. You can find textbook recommendations from Veeky Forums Veeky Forums (though you shouldn't use them as they are rather terse). You can google free textbooks, you can research yourself what these topics cover. You have the ability to educate yourself silly.

Ultimately it comes down to your specific teacher and your specific class as to exactly what will be covered (syllabus).

So please stop asking for handouts when you dont even try to take the initiative yourself.

Alright mate, only asked because it seemed like it'd be easy to list off the top of your head.

>Would this mean Intro stats is harder than college algebra?

Imagine algebra as a language. And Stats is like a specific idea or book that can only be communicated partly by the language that is algebra. If you dont speak the language of algebra then yeah stats will definitely be harder. It would be the equivalent of trying to read a teen novel in a foreign language you dont understand (impossible). But if you are a master of the language algebra or decent then reading a book in that language at a teen level (analogously) is very simple and relatively easy. And I can attest that (with the same analogy) that reading Harry Potter was so much easier than learning grammar, syntax and semantics. Same goes for algebra and stats. So it depends on your confidence with algebra.

Idk if that makes sense

>easy to list off the top of your head.

No problem but you are talking about a significantly large list of things. You're asking for the equivalent of an entire year's worth of lesson plans and teachers spend many hours on that stuff.

If you want a hard fast list, then talk to your teacher. They will have a complete list of this stuff. Depending on your state there may be a list on educations sites as to the expected material to be covered, etc... Google math standards and the level you want to study.

You will start off with some probability, then estimators, moments method, maximum likelihood, Bayesian statistics. After that you will do hypothesis testing, UMP, Neyman-Pearson. After that some ANOVA, linear regression, and work in R.

shouldn't you be learning all of that in R? modern statistics classes I've noticed have much less focus on teaching students how to draw graphs (that's a useless skill) and more on computerized stats

i dont think ANOVA is intro