Who is your favorite female author?

Who is your favorite female author?
What is her best work?

Other urls found in this thread:

observer.com/2016/02/time-magazine-put-evelyn-waugh-on-a-list-of-female-authors/
newyorker.com/magazine/2006/06/05/dimension
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably Gramsci. Big fan of her prison notebooks.

Jane Eyre is the most solid work by a female author I can think of.

Flannery O'Connor
Everything That Rises Must Converge

I ask because I can't easily answer this question myself
I want to, but I can't

Mary Roach writes compelling non-fiction.

Evelyn Waugh
Whoever said women aren't funny never read Evelyn.

Rachel Olan, and probably The Open Window

mavis gallant. all of them

>Evelyn Waugh
Is this a joke

Old-ass joke, nigga

So a name sounds like an onomatopoeia... that doesn't make it a joke. You've read too much Pynchon.

No, not the sound, the context
>observer.com/2016/02/time-magazine-put-evelyn-waugh-on-a-list-of-female-authors/

pic related
the juliette society

Doris Lessing, Golden Notebook.

I like The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Woolf
To The Lighthouse

(it's also my favourite work by anyone)

murasaki shikibu
the tale of genji

curious as to why this is your favorite book?
im reading it for class right now and im not crazy about it. loved Mrs. Dalloway though.

Is she good? Where should I start?

This may have started as a bait thread. but people responding seriously makes me feel a little better. More warm.

also curious
I love the meter of her prose, but that's about it

I was going to try A room of one's Own, but Woolf's putting me to sleep (coming from finishing GR)

OP here, not intended as a bait thread, just want to expand my bookshelf

Yeah I just wanted to make you believe it wasn't a joke and that user really didn't know it was a dude (I didn't)

im the guy who was curious.
that's the thing about a lot of her writing, i've found. it's smart, and profound, but so damn boring. the characters in her novels are so static it's tough for me to read more than a couple pages in a sitting.

Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
The Abyss is also worth a read though the stilted dialogue in one chapter nearly made me jettison it. Dialogue isn't one of her strengths. Usually she uses it sparingly

It's a novel about life. How we live, how we think and experience, and how ephemeral it all is. How beautiful and fleeting. How all of us, even the strongest, are so fragile and alone.

I guess I'd have to say Mary Stewart for the Arthurian saga she wrote. It is young adult fiction but it was alright. That's the only female author I can remember reading because they just don't seem to write books that interest me. If they're not writing fantasy they're writing romance.

Maybe it's just because I read Dalloway first, but I feel like it does all of those things you listed, but in a more enjoyable, less boring way.
Definitely restored my motivation to finish it for class though, thanks user.

It's a novel about life. How we live, how we think and experience, and how ephemeral it all is. How beautiful and fleeting. How all of us, even the strongest, are so fragile and alone. Reading Woolf, honestly, helped me become a more social person, in seeing that every person is on some level terribly afraid of others, not just me.

good point raised in the edited post, definitely affirms that you're not alone if you're paranoiac or anxiety-ridden.

Kingsolver seemed to have been romanticizing the people she was talking about to push her feminist ideology. Heart of Darkness and Things Fall Apart are more honest representations of life in the motherland.

No problem. I love both novels, but I think To The Lighthouse is immeasurably better because Clarissa Dalloway isn't a very good character compared to Mrs. Ramsey, there's too much of a division between her and Septimus plot-wise, Woolf's style is developed further in TTL and so on. Tbh To The Lighthouse does everything Mrs. Dalloway does and better IMO (of course).

The Waves is even more extremely beautiful, but goes a bit off the deep end into unmoored metaphor.

Part of the reason I like Mrs. D so much was because of Septimus. Probably most enjoyable Woolf character I've encountered so far. After him probably Sally Seton or that kooky Walsh. I'm finding Charles Tansley downright hilarious in TTL.

Yeah Septimus is superbly written. And Peter Walsh is basically me in 20 years time lol, the disillusioned, bombed-out Romantic who is repelled by bourgeois conformity and chasing a lost love who succumbed to it.

Have you got to the second part, Time Passes yet? It's by far the best part of the book and some of the most beautiful writing ever put to pen in English.

Zora neale Hurston
Their eyes were watching God.
Read it in high school when I was falling in live with my Wife. I re-read every year or so around same time.
>Liberal points for black female author.

Step aside, cunts.

Savitri Devi coming through.

The Lightning and the Sun

>written by one of Adolf Hitler's most devoted admirers.

So! What can I expect from her work?

Good choices.

I'll add Nightwood by Djuna Barnes.

lol

She's pretty batshit crazy. Not a bad writer though, and she makes some alright points about why modernity sucks. Mostly she's nuts though. Even among nazi occultist circles she's considered a crazy cat lady.

jane austen
mansfield park

>not choosing emily dickinson

>Who is your favorite female author?
Munro desu.
>What is her best work?
Dunno.

I like Donna Tartt.

>choosing emily dickinson

>This may have started as a bait thread.

Why are leftists so insecure?

The good earth
Pearl S. Buck

Man you weren't kidding. Never heard of Nazi Mysticism before, this actually sounds really fascinating.

Want to read this but I hear it's terribly depressing.

Middlemarch

I've read two of her books and enjoyed them, but I wouldnt call it compelling, it's barely non fiction, more like pop-sci.

Woooowww

Silvya Plath, Zora Neal Hurston, and Flannery O'connor. Lately I've gotten into a Colombian, Laura Restrepobut I havent read enough of her stuff to konw for sure.

Karin slaughter. Triptych. Admittedly the only female author ive read.

>not reading any transgender author

pft

Yuk

Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead

Not even memeing

Well, what don't you like about her?

penis not feminine enough

I tried, I really tried.
But she fails to make everyday life interesting. She bores me. I don't get the appeal.

But since it's your favourite female author, what's her best story? Maybe I just missed the good ones

TEWEG is depressing, but it goes a really good job of capturing how relationships can be.

Not who you asked but this is a good one
newyorker.com/magazine/2006/06/05/dimension

> "Can't have soup without Sop 'de Bottom"
This was good, and sad

Eliot. Middlemarch.
Boy author (I know nobody asked): Mishima. Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

name one

Really? You've read the entire thing?

Thomas Pynchon.

1) Where did you get to assume I'm a leftist
2) It's just nice when a thread isn't filled with the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Anne Carson

Perfect combination of poet and academic

Eros the Bittersweet

Clarice Lispector and Gabriela Mistral.

Why don't you ask who are some good female authors if you want to know? Only asking for my favorite seems weird.

tru I love autobiography of red and red doc>

Definitely those are great. I'll read everything she writes, she's unreal. This is coming from someone who can't think of another female author I appreciate

however, maggie nelson is the wannabe anne carson

Woolf, The Waves.

Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

she's amazing. get that giant book of her short stories.

Caitlin R. Kiernan.

She's a really talented weird fiction author. Started off pretty genre (but good at it) and has gotten progressively more literary ever since. She's also a paleontologist and that shows in her writing.

Rosa Luxemburg

fuck that looks comfy

fuck

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, obviously. Huge influence on genre fiction (the best type of fiction).

Because great > good

I love Eva Green. Would marry her, I don't even care about her crazy eyes.

Merci France pour Eva qt

>Female authors
>Good

She sure was ugly though

So are you

For me it's Wuthering Heights every time. Though when younger I enjoyed the shit out of Margret Memewood

I've read a fair amount of Ursula K. Le Guin this year. My favorite was probably Lathe of Heaven but I think it's because I gravitate toward those kinds of pulp stories.

every genuinely funny person is unattractive.

She's so fucking comfy for me, earthsea was probably my foray into fantasy outside of idk, redwall (considering it was the only non-austen on my mum's shelf) also her interview response on jkrowlingmeister:

>when so many adult critics were carrying on about the "incredible originality" of the first Harry Potter book, I read it to find out what the fuss was about, and remained somewhat puzzled; it seemed a lively kid's fantasy crossed with a "school novel", good fare for its age group, but stylistically ordinary, imaginatively derivative, and ethically rather mean-spirited.

As for works, either CJ Cherryh's angel with the sword, mrs dalloway, jane eyre, or anything by james tiptree jr...also, radclyffe hall's 'well of loneliness' because lesbians l m a o

Rowling.
fight me.

Mavis Gallant for her short stories, or Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse being the obvious choice.

I never thought I would encounter another Gallant fan on here, glad to see someone else understands.

>mavis gallan
nope
kafka

Rand, The Shruggening.

Whenever I look to buy books, I dismiss it immediately if it is a female author. I just cannot relate ever to a woman. their lives are vastly different from mine. For a woman's life is much easier and she can't ever suffer what I suffer. Because she is loved simply because she has a vagina. For women, friends are everywhere.

>I dismiss it immediately if it is a female author. I just cannot relate ever to a woman. their lives are vastly different from mine. For a woman's life is much easier and she can't ever suffer what I suffer. Because she is loved simply because she has a vagina. For women, friends are everywhere.

Woah.....................

That is some comfy cover art but know what you're getting into.

Wew lad

Wew lass

dont really have one. but Ethan Frome really got to me when i read it because I was in a similar relationship at the time. So kudos to Edith Wharton I suppose.

Cheers, I'll check it out someday