Tfw you've been pronouncing Foucault incorrectly since forever and no one has ever corrected you

>tfw you've been pronouncing Foucault incorrectly since forever and no one has ever corrected you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5t6YzoPxvZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>camuS

foo coh

Be real, how many times can you count when you've discussed Foucault earnestly to another human being not through a chinese checker website?

I have talked about foucaults pendulum to a few people

fuck french

fuck-all

goo tuh

oiler

many a times in university

a few times with close friends and family

chances are that if you live in America people simply didn't know any better

it's so weird to me. In Europe, when a writer is french, I pronounce his name as francoise would pronounce it

if he is russian, I pronounce his name is Ivan would pronounce it.

if he is german, I pronounce his name as.. I would pronounce it

but Americans just cannot. they are incapable. every "R" is an "ARRRR". even the most educated of Americans sound like white trash from some bumfuck village in Texas when talking about "continental" philosophy.

I don't understand why it's so hard for them. I only speak 3 languages and have no problems pronouncing french words, russian words, spanish words and so forth.

>van guff cut his own ear off and mailed it to a prostitute!
:^|

shit

>it's so weird to me. In Europe, when a writer is french, I pronounce his name as francoise would pronounce it
>if he is russian, I pronounce his name is Ivan would pronounce it.
>if he is german, I pronounce his name as.. I would pronounce it
do typical native germans regularly do it like that, or is it just something you're personally choosing to do?

So then you pronounce American names like bumfuck Texan would?

Here's the rule:

When you pronounce foreign names and words, pronounce them according to the rules of that language if you can, but not in their accent.

So say fou-coh, but not in a fucking faux French accent.

If you're from Australia and you wanted to pronounce a Scottish person's name, you wouldn't put on a Scottish accent would you? You don't say 'spaghetti' in an Italian accent either, do you?

This

I have the impression that's something most Europeans do, not just Germans

But I have absolutely no evidence, it's all based on personal experience

I pronounce American names like any American would. I have relatives and they've never complained.

An accent is not really what you make it out to be.

Spanish is a language, Spanish is not really an accent. Argentinian Spanish has an heavy accent.

German is a language, German is not really an accent. Bavarian otoh is an accent of the German language.

You cannot pronounce Foucaults name correctly without pronouncing it like a frenchman, just like how you cannot possible say "corrida de torros" without rolling the "R" like a spanish speaking person would.

I still get what you're trying to say though. There is no need for tryhardery.

...Now all I can think of is Americans saying "corridor dey toh roast"...

>Spanish is not really an accent
> German is not really an accent

They are though. If a German speaker speaks English, you can tell they are German. I know what you're saying though.

i used to write Freud as Froid

And I wrote it as Fraud.

I wrote it as Froyereahd

i always said faw-colt
im not french tho

A lot really, but all my friends either study philosophy at uni or read it on their own - some I pestered so much they started knowing Foucault by osmosis

Honestly, my favourite thing about my Kindle is that I can highlight a word and it shows me the pronunciation.

>it's an american tries to handle another language episode

I swear to god even slavs and south americans are better than you at this.

It's an easy name to pronounce. They probably thought you were talking about someone else, since nobody would be stupid enough to fuck it up.

>didn't go to college, maybe even finish highschool, works for hourly
You're right about OP probably being from America, almost with 100% certainty, but I just can't believe you know a significant number of Americans, and you definitely don't know "even the most educated." Not to mention our degrees our much more specialized and not as well-rounded as they are in most of Europe, whereas you can meet someone in Europe that studied engineering and can have a decent conversation about sociology, philosophy, etc.

lol i know that one. it happened to me with deleuze. i said some shit like 'de-lee-ooz'. a teacher corrected me in front of everyone, but it didnt matter too much cause no fucking one knew who the guy is anyway...

Do you mean you gave them the introductory blather from your book report whilst they smiled at you with a glassy-eyed expression?

Phonetics master here,

It's more like ''foo-kaw''
An english speaker can't pronounce that name correctly, you guys can't do the 'u' sound. In any cases the 's' at the end of Camus is silent.

>''foo-kaw''
"foo-k'oh"

>but I just can't believe you know a significant number of Americans

why? via travelling the world I have met so many people from so many different contexts, surely hundreds of Americans, too

>and you definitely don't know "even the most educated.

I do not. I actually base my entire argument on listening to lectures from diff American college professors :^)

>It's more like ''foo-kaw''

it's actually "FOO - CO (LT 45)"

also >you guys can't do the "u" sound

Americans can't do any Umlaute. No Ü, Ö, Ä..

Camus is essentially pronounced Camü.

Xddd did Americans zfdxdddffdf

wait how do americans pronounce it otherwise than foo-koh ?

Foh•kahlt

>sockrat-tease
>play doh
>aristot-a-lease
>baby please
>day cart
>kahhhhhnt
>kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhnnnnt
>hey gal
>neech-uh
>uuuuuuiiiiiitgens-tein
>
>i always said faw-colt
>faw-colt
>FAW COLT
>deloose
>hahssurl
>frayge
>lacon
>sigmund pink froyd

Michael Fooly Cooly

fu caught

Why are you such a cunt

>If a German speaker speaks English, you can tell they are German

Not necessarily mate.

Exactly. I'm the guy he quoted.

My uncle grew up in Germany, is a native speaker, but lived in the US for almost 30 years now.

He can't even pronounce German words correctly anymore. He always has the weird "R" sound that Americans make, he talks exactly like any other Californian talks English. 100% indistinguishable.

In Russian, we simply write what is close to the pronunciation of the foreign name, like Foucalt is Фyкo (Fuko), Baudrillard is Бoдpийяp (Bodriyar), Camus is Кaмю (Kamyu), etc.

I myself have never noticed accents (lived with a girl from Wisconsin for a few months and never noticed or pegged her accent) but I know some people who can practically pick out which US state you're from by your accent. I'd err to the side of accents being very difficult to lose too, especially for non-native speakers.

I think I may be taking a more nuanced approach than that user tho

In Germany we learn our fucking French.

I like your approach too tho.

Finn here, can confirm that nordics and balts do this too

>sigmund pink froyd

lost

Most of these are correct

actually not a single one of these is correct.

all the German ones are obviously wrong.

all the greek ones that have an "e" in them -

socra-tease as Americans say it should be socrat-ess: like in "Tess", "Chess", "Press"..

play-doh is pronounced "pluh to": "To" as in "Torah", not the typical American "oh" sound.

Aristotle is the same issue as Socrates: "E" is never "EEEEEE" as in "REEEEE", but rather "E" as in "Test", "Chest", "Rest"..

"Day Cart" is actually pretty close to correct, no problem there.

"Kahnnnnnnt" is pretty close to correct, just that Germans don't stretch it out.

As for Hegel, Witti and Nietzsche, I don't think any Burger will ever pronounce them right.

Same goes for Husserl and Frege. I think it's just sounds that are very hard to imitate if you grow up speaking English.

Del"EU"ze: Here the "EU" is pronounced similiar to Umlaut "Ö".

"LACON" is actually really easy: "LA" plus "CAN". You could also just say: "LA CUNT" and leave out the "T".

"Froyd" is the correct way to say it. Only issue is the "R", which Burgers can't do.

So out of all these, only 3 were right or even close.

>"Day Cart" is actually pretty close to correct, no problem there.
>"Kahnnnnnnt" is pretty close to correct, just that Germans don't stretch it out.
>"LACON" is actually really easy: "LA" plus "CAN". You could also just say: "LA CUNT" and leave out the "T".
>"Froyd" is the correct way to say it. Only issue is the "R", which Burgers can't do.
Fuck you none of these are remotely right t. angry german who speaks french fluently. Death to burger.

Because NA English has an entirely different pronunciation. Hard A, hard R, hard E, etc.
I can pronounce the littera canina decently well, just not to an extreme. And the U and O umlaut too; with the A umlaut I just haven't spoken enough German to have any grasp on it.
And your NA English is probably awful too, mad cunt, or Tagalog.

I was so happy when i finally learned to say this correctly. But with plebs I still have to say CamuS otherwise they have no clue who I'm talk about.

I'm German, too. What the fuck are you on about?

What is the difference between Kahnnnnnt (with a short A) and Kant? It's literally the same thing...

Freud is the same is Froid is the same is Froyd. Are you okay dude?

Matter of fact our "EU" is always written as "OI" or "OY" in phonetics, see:

(/ˈfrɔJd/ froyd (Sigmund Freud)

>DES CAR TES

is pronounced DE CART

youtube.com/watch?v=5t6YzoPxvZc

>Germans after WW2
>20 Million

what the fuck? when did that happen?

>sounds like vomit