Dying Culture General

roger-scruton.com/about/music/understanding-music/175-the-cultural-significance-of-pop

Sir Roger Scruton points out how Popular music and Popular culture defend eachother and how modern culture suffers under the force of popular music. Is he right? Or more specifically, is he right in his claim that the music composed through the classical tradition and all that it represents, discipline and adult maturity, is superior to the music of youth culture, representative of the desire to abstain from adulthood and its accompanying role of maturity and higher thought, that we apparently are subject too today?

that mofo got knighted?

Yes sir

He's right that cultural standards have slipped into absurdity, he's wrong in the particular brand of cultural elitism he espouses.

Also, daily reminder he literally got paid to shill for the tobacco industry.

Wouldn't folk music be a better comparison since that's what more people used to listen to before popular music?

MTV started that whole negroid cultural marxist shake that ass psyop to erode normal white values. Basically vaseline for what is happening now. SO yeah, I agree. But the music isn't to blame, but those who decide what's played on TV, radio, what is produced and hyped, etc.

Yes, folk music is the correct analogy. Classic has been something usually enjoyed by an elite. But folk music, excellent and non-degenerate in its own right, is what common people enjoyed before pop music.

Back to your containment board please.

moron detected.

sorta similar to Adorno, but Adorno's hard-on was for atonal classical

Pynchon did it better though

I wonder if industry paid him for this piece too
his argument is just THOSE DAMN KIDS
scruton is 100% imbecile

>

1700: nobles, cultivated from youth, patrons of the arts. classical artisans trained from youth by masters and housed in royal courts.
2016: crowd funding. artists that went to public school.

>European culture literally being erased from existence through globalisation and demographic collapse
>haha wtf "Old Man Yells At Cloud" amirite xD #readyforsharia

roger scruton is like 90 years old and lives in a village in Wiltshire listening to Beethoven i don't really care what he thinks about music.

I want /pol/ to leave.

You forget that we live in a time where sister Ray and miss fortune have greater artistic value than the majority of contemporary classical released in the past 40 years.

>rich people culture is all of European culture
Classical music has nothing to with my ancestors.

It's easy to forget when it is a meaningless assertion.

>their opinions hurt my feelings

You're forgetting that to ears trained on Rihanna, Max Richter and the Velvet Underground both sound like boring background noise.

Velvet Underground is objectively wew lad.

No they don't.

I mean holy shit guys why are you all responding to this? Get this shit off of our board and go discuss it on its dedicated board holy fuck

essays are a form of literature you fucking mouth breather

Ok so should I start shitting up this board with fucking videogame essays also? Why not start posting a bunch of shitty political essays about Trump and turning this board into /pol/ 2.0 like the rest of Veeky Forums?

This essay has nothing to do with literature you fucking mong, this is a thread about music discussion and belongs on /mu/ if this shit is tolerated then the board will go to fucking hell with the influx of /mu/ and /tv/ posters.

Remember to sage and report this off-topic trash and just in case you're retarded here's another link

>my opinion is the only right one, and everyone who disagrees is a le ebin cuck

You people are no better than SJW. How good it must be not to be able to see yourself in the mirror.

Is he, dare I say it, our guy?

Forgot pic

>essays on literature are the only ones allowed to be discussed

wew lad
>not listening to Rautavaara

Are you really going to sit here and advocate that all essays on all topics are meant to be discussed here on Veeky Forums? Whats the point of having other boards if you can just discuss every topic on here as long as it's in essay format? If you read a book and in it the author presented some interesting theories about the composition of music and how it mingles with the psychology of people would you come to Veeky Forums to discuss everyone's thoughts on music and psychology just because it is literature or would you go to /mu/ because that is where music discussion is intended to happen and where it happens most frequently?

Just look at this thread and try and tell me that any of this resembles literature discussion because all I see is shitty /mu/ and /pol/ memes that don't belong on this board.

Holy shit you're actually retarded just get the fuck out of here or better yet post about one of your favorite books so you can out yourself as an idiot that doesn't belong here anyway.

Are you really going to sit here and advocate that essays on literature are the only ones allowed to be discussed here on Veeky Forums?

cry more, bitch nigga

loud noises

>people are still falling for the "back in my day" meme

both of these are accurate

>People have been saying the present is worse than the past for a long time now.
>Therefore, they're wrong.

Your argument is basically "current year" with a college degree.

He is not wrong, though. People like to ideolize the past. It doesn't matter if the present is better or worse, nostalgia will make you biased. One should look at it objectively instead of going "muh currect year" or "muh traditional values", because in the end those viewpoints are the same: an idealization of something which is neither perfect nor completely defective.

Intredasting. I was just listening to a podcast debate between Scruton and Terry Eagleton and while they were talking past each other a lot, and actually agreed on some things (cultural decline), on the points of disagreement it kind of seemed like Eagleton was owning Scruton. I'm probably pretty biased though.