ITT: The Food & Cooking equivalent of a fedora

ITT: The Food & Cooking equivalent of a fedora.

plating

The only alcohol that should ever be decanted is old wine with sediment.

Deconstructed anything.

Blue rare steak.

Dude!!!!!!

Literally quite being a career cook over this.

When the fuck did plating become fuckin abstract art?!?!?

What ever happened to the pretty presentation with minimal garnish?

Fuckin Hipsters goddamn it

Meh I enjoy my Bavarian Crystal decanter and Crystal glasses.

The only point of decanters is to subtlety fuck with people. You have two identical decanters, one with McGr*gor's and one with a decent scotch, or whatever.

EJ and Martel

I don't know about you, but I always second guess what I'm drinking in that kind of situation.

>uses a decanter
>also uses "meh"
You can't make this shit up.

>want to switch careers to pastrymaking so I can stay in a nice cool fridge all day and never come into contact with the unwashed public ever again
>remember plating exists

It's worth noting that old people really hated having branded anything in their house.
Whenever possible they bought in bulk, hid the large package in the pantry and kept what they needed at hand in an unbranded container, like a decanter for beverages.

Dumbass.

What's wing with plating?

What's wrong with plating?

I decanter so I can keep a mostly empty bottle of grey goose/belvedere around the bar and serve people kirkland signature and they think they're balling

That's not truffle oil

You fell for the meme.

if you want cold whisky why not put it in the fridge?

>ITT: The Food & Cooking equivalent of a fedora.
>Pic related; nothing to do with food or cooking.
Retard.

>Implying this shower of shit is better than Reddit.
Retard.

It's the most pretentious piece of shit ever. It's like someone tried to make modern art with food. As long as food is on the plate and the food doesn't look like a load of diarrhea it shouldn't matter how it is presented.

ABSINTHE

But, decanters are /tv/.

> Can serve alcohol from a fancy container without branding
> As a guest, can appreciate what's in your glass without the marketing telling you what to think

This. I have a decanter of cheap shitty scotch in my living room that I give to guests. They always take time to sniff it and compliment the nose or some shit and make out it is really sophisticated and expensive stuff. Pretty sure it is Grants or something. I get a kick out of it

>being this pleb
Yeah man drop another redpill bro hehe

This.

The point is to have readily available booze.

You also use it for presentation. Cheap booze is happily accepted in a decanter.

Savage af

>appreciate what's in your glass without the marketing telling you what to think
If the mere sight of branding can change your opinion despite how you feel about taste, then maybe you should just stop breathing.

What the fuck is "Dublin Whiskey"?

This

isn't plating only a big deal at the higher end of the market?

tasty cheap slop is and always will be popular

I was watching that show "Moonshiners" and those faggots are trying to make Absinthe moonshine. If that's not some fucking faggot fedora shit then I don't know what is

>Absinthe moonshine
Not sure I could trust a moonshiner to not fuck that up and make straight poison.

Lol, you're right. Especially when this guy is the one in charge of the operation

I get the sentiment behind the surface area of the ice, but it's so difficult to drink with an icecube that's constantly wanting to slide against your lips.

Haram

>but it's so difficult to drink

You've got to be kidding me.

Have you never drank whiskey with a sphere of ice?

Almost any angle will make the ice slide to your lips.

So yeah, it's difficult.

Who cares if the ice slides to your lips? What's "difficult" about that? Are you some kind of child that finds anything other than a sippy cup to be challenging somehow? Or are you perhaps some kind of super-klutz with incredibly low dexterity?

I'm not trying to be rude here, I honestly can't comprehend how the presence of ice makes it "difficult" to drink.

I wouldn't day "difficult" but I know what he means. The ice sphere slides and touches the nose with almost every sip. It's just dumb and annoying

It's not for drinking. It's for trying to lookintellectually superior while being genetically inferior.

I think your fedora is on too tight

"I'm not trying to be rude here"

Let me interject into your fine, friendly line of conversation here my excellent Veeky Forums friendo.
GLOBAL RULE 3 MEANS SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Thank you dear friend, I hope my advice has aided you in your most friendly of Veeky Forums conversations.
Please continue so I may quietly monitor your friendly discussion with Anonymous.

even greasy spoons have fallen for the unique plating meme

greasy spoon =/= hipster brunch spot

thanks for making my point.

You're such a faggot.

*tips skillet*

*dips tempura*

They're just being polite.

They're not going to tell you that your Scotch is shit,

>eats non White food

>I'm not trying to be rude here
>Who cares if the ice slides to your lips? What's "difficult" about that? Are you some kind of child that finds anything other than a sippy cup to be challenging somehow? Or are you perhaps some kind of super-klutz with incredibly low dexterity?

Is there any actual food on this plate?

Why would you add sediment to wine?

>appreciate what's in your glass without the marketing
you sound like a communist

So you can then decant it duh

>tfw I do that with things that I buy myself
I don't act sophisticated, however, I just like the harsh smell.
Makes my mouth water.

This, this, this. Decanters are for fooling chicks/in laws into thinking they're drinking nice liquor, but not spending the money on it.

You have no point, that restaurant is not a greasy spoon, you can even tell from the glasses and table, but especially from the FUCKING SHOVEL

You contradict yourself in a single sentence. Even you think it's important how food is presented, just in a different way. You're merely arguing semantics and getting mad that there are people with different preferences and priorities than your own.

If plating - as a concept - is "pretentious fedora", that makes you "gap-tooth trailer trash". And between the two, I'd pick the former tbqh famalamadingdong.

There's nothing inherently wrong with plating. I think what rubs many people object the wrong way is the minimalist modern art compositions. Conspicuous "white space" on a plate with minuscule food proportions, drizzled and dripped with sauces in a way that makes them difficult to actually consume. The most excessive examples generally occur at the high end, where the food is already quite good, and extra details take on added importance. Some people like it, and others mock it, but it's not apt to make them stop going there.

I don't think anyone objects to functional yet intentionally aesthetic arrangements, with plates balanced with portion sizes.

I was a pastry chef up until a little while ago
Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time in the fridge and also had to help customers out when I wasn't sheeting croissants and shit on the sheeter machine.
Wasn't all I imagined it to be.
There wasn't much plating involved really either. Just had to make the pastries look good on their own then we'd slap em on trays. It was a bakery only though. I'd imagine at a restaurant you'd have to come up with platings, but honestly simpler works better for desserts I think. nothing like the post up top unless you're in some hipster gastro shit or some michelin star operation

I buy these for alcoholic relatives when I don't know what to buy for christmas or birthdays,i get a nice decanter...a decent priced one not chinese garbage.

Whiskey and Beer "culture" in general annoys the fuck out of me. Probably because it's often accompanied by some version of numale trying to emulate Ron Swanson.

Ron Swanson is a cancer.

that's not a greasy spoon, then

THIS is a greasy spoon

Black coffee

Underrated post. This.

How the fuck tho

I'm shocked, shocked! that the degenerates who post on Veeky Forums don't get the concept of owning decorative items

Exactly, it's not hard to tell shitty Scotch from good stuff, maybe if they don't drink liquor at all also

>giving garbage to guests

I hope you end up getting ironically cursed by Wotan or a witch or something

t. starbucks loving manchildren

for the alcohol category it's certainly IPAs.

Nah
It's goses

Steak culture in general. It's cool that you don't like well done steak, a lot of people don't and you might be right that it's a waste of steak or wheat ever but it's no reason to meme and whine about it constantly out of context

Kek

Hahahaha so much this. I always refill it with the cheapest whiskey I have. Les invités ne voient que du feu.

So much this fr thb senpai baka tho

When you cook a steak to well done, it loses so much flavor. You have to literally be autistic to prefer a well done steak over any other type

Not being able to tolerate other points of view is a classic sign of autism.

Whats wrong with black coffe and sugar, being drinked purely for energy? It gives me more kick than energy drinks and I cant buy cocaine

>I hope you end up getting ironically cursed by Wotan or a witch or something

Hah. I like this sentence. Do you do witchcraft yourself?

Nope. That seems delicious.

because you keep your whiskey on your bed stand so you can drink your thoughts away at night

Sushi.

All the stone and metal cubes are a scam.

You need roughly 20x the volume you'd use of ice cubes for same cooling capacity.

Fedora is a very comfortable headwear too.

You're such a dumbass, dude.

Name me a better pan to sear a steak in.