Any good lit about coming to terms with the unfathomable oblivion that awaits us all after death...

Any good lit about coming to terms with the unfathomable oblivion that awaits us all after death? Kinda having a hard time with the whole "ceasing to exist" thing?

>inb4 there's an afterlife
lol

Stop being so melodramatic. Nothing awaits you after death not even unfathomable oblivion, you'll be dead and you won't be experiencing being dead. Shut up and enjoy today for it may end tomorrow.

oblivion = nothing

What the hell does that picture mean

No oblivion = lack of something. Oblivion is the removal, taking away or forgetting what once was. If you die and are sitting in darkness feeling lost then that would be oblivion. If you stop existing and stop experiencing then you won't feel that loss.

there's an afterlife

Tolstoy, "A Confession"

Schopenhauer, On Death and Its Relation to the Indestructibility of Our Inner nature

>having to come to terms with death

just lol, just be glad hell doesn't exist

i dont know, as long as i could keep my consciousness and identity, i might be alright with an eternity of indescribable pain and torture

Of course you are not a Christian or have any idea of what hell means.

also

>oblivion
nice ideology there

pathological narcissism detected

You haven't really been tortured yet.

And what a surprise would it be if after all hell does exist.

what does hell mean?

Contemporary christians usually say hell = remoteness from god. So being atheist is hell on earth. This contrasts with the older idea of hell being a physical place.

i don't get it. why does the Grim Reaper care if some asshole finishes a book or not?

Serious answer, take psychedelics and try to think about it a lot. May or may not work, but worth a try either way.

That's some bad advice, user. Granted, a good trip can be worthwhile, but a bad trip can really fuck you up even if you are psychologically solid going in.

I'm disinclined to give anyone advice, and I sure wouldn't suggest psychedelics as a solution to anything, especially existential angst.

Sure, OP, read some books if you like, but if you want to ease your anxiety try spending some serious time thinking about something (or someone) other than yourself. That helps. And stay away from drunks and druggies. yw

What will it take to make people understand that, by having this belief, they necessarily believe in a soul? They believe that "something" ceases to exist when whateverthefuck happens. Well that something is literally a soul, and they are a flailing mess of cognitive dissonance by denying it.

So just stop believing in a soul and you won't have any problems.

ignore this fag, op. take all the shrooms and lsd you can get your chubby nihilistic fingers on

there's a funny shoop of pic related that draws on internet pedantry that has the heading "Accepting You're Death." I'll let you imagine how that changed the picture. I wish I had saved it when I saw it on here, but given how often shit gets reposted (and how much of my life I waste on here) I'm sure I'll see it again.

a consciousness =/= a soul

>a consciousness
>a
If you use it like that, there is no difference. Both are the idea of humans possessing real identities. And don't try to give me any horseshit like "oh it's not real but that doesn't change the fact that it still stops existing".

Mortality by Hitchens.

It'll either make you feel better or worse.

it isn't that death is scary. it is the reflection of death to life that is scary. how can any man go about doing anything if he knows everything is just a complicated process of death

by doesn't actually "knowing" it most of the time?

"not knowing", it's getting late