Will electric motors ever be able to generate enough force to replace fossil fuels in areas like airlines and cargo...

Will electric motors ever be able to generate enough force to replace fossil fuels in areas like airlines and cargo ships?

What's the most promising source of energy when we inevitably run out of oil?

Other urls found in this thread:

nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2012/fueling-the-fleet-navy-looks-to-the-seas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Will electric motors ever be able to generate enough force to replace fossil fuels in areas like airlines and cargo ships?
Yes. Many ships already do use electric transmission, and the power-to-weight of modern electric motors is definitely high enough to replace the engines in propeller aircraft.
The hard part is generating the electricity to power the motors.

>What's the most promising source of energy when we inevitably run out of oil?
Hard to tell. That depends on geography, economics, and what technological advances we get to see.

>Will electric motors ever be able to generate enough force to replace fossil fuels in areas like airlines and cargo ships?
Motors aren't the problem, batteries are.
Electricity isn't an energy SOURCE. But if you mean energy CARRIER, I think batteries will gain prevalence in less energy-intensive applications, while more energy-intensive applications such as aviation will continue to use combustable fuels, albeit from non-petroleum feedstocks. Even fucking seawater can be turned into jet fuel if you pour enough energy into it: nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2012/fueling-the-fleet-navy-looks-to-the-seas

I imagine you'd need a pretty big battery to fly a passenger plane for 14 hours straight.

I said it like that referring to a source of kinectic energy, but I guess you are correct.

Also that's a pretty interesting article, I don't understeand the actual science behind it of course but the fact that that's possible is pretty cool.

Makes me think...How comes those big ass ships don't have systems to produce hydraulic energy in some way? Or they do?

>Hydraulic energy

What's that?

>I imagine you'd need a pretty big battery to fly a passenger plane for 14 hours straight.
Battery-electric aircraft are probably never going to happen, with the exceptions of UAVs and maybe very light planes. However, chemical fuel cells could potentially power short-range commuter aircraft.

>Makes me think...How comes those big ass ships don't have systems to produce hydraulic energy in some way? Or they do?
What do you mean by "produce hydraulic energy"? I'm sure any large ship has numerous hydraulic pumps onboard.

experimental e-plane

Making more oil.

American land whale fat?

>How comes those big ass ships don't have systems to produce hydraulic energy in some way?
Steering is usually hydraulic. Sometimes transmission, too. Hydraulic bowthrusters are not uncommon. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single big ship without at least one hydraulic pump aboard.

>Battery-electric aircraft are probably never going to happen, with the exceptions of UAVs and maybe very light planes.
Even for light electric airplanes, batteries are hard-pressed to even meet basic reserves for a short local flight (30 minutes in clear daytime weather, 45 in all other circumstances), let alone yield enough endurance on top of that for any semblance of practical cross-country flight between airports.

It's technically renewable...

Trinkets and baubles.

Soylent blubber to keep America rolling.
Electricity is technically not an energy source just an energy medium albeit an excellent one. Need too many batteries to rebuild every transportation grid around it unless we went back to electric street car design and overhead transmission.

>Need too many batteries to rebuild every transportation grid around it unless we went back to electric street car design and overhead transmission.

One idea being floated by the big eurotruck manufacturers is for highways to have overhead catenary wires and the trucks to self drive under those, using excess power to charge their on board batteries. When they pull off to do local delivery they can run 40 miles on battery power.
More drastic for densely populated areas is vacuum tube delivery of low density perishables.

Electric motors are already superior to fossil fuel engines in every way. The problem is the energy density of the fuel - i.e. a petrol tank will keep an engine running many times longer than an equivalently sized battery.

Regardless of what replaces oil there isn't going to be enough of it to allow for both freight transport and personal vehicles.

Interdasting. The catenary wire thing is probably the way to go, the main problem is the 1 billion internal combustion engines already in use - and growing everyday - everyone wants one. Hard to say if there is even enough resources left on the planet to replace those with something else.

I hear tell people in the first world have the equivalent of 100 human energy slaves at their disposal because of fossil fuel. Doesn't really appear to be much on the horizon that can compete with that but good times to be alive I suppose.

This.
Instead of fossil fuel,let's call electricity the fuel.The eficiency of elctric motors is beyond the capability of a termic engine by the quantity of fuel introduced. Gas engines can go up to 30% efficiency whereas electric engines give 98% efficiency of its consumed fuel.
The only thing its that actual thermal engines are much cheaper and more popular being cheaper to maintain

Fusion is our only hope. Everyone knows it. No one knows if we'll be able to achieve it.

didn't we almost achieved it?

I'm guessing you don't understand how a diesel / electric locomotive works do you? Electric motors are more than powerful enough have sufficient horsepower / weigh ratios to compete with any other type of motor in most circumstances. What electric motors do NOT have is an electric supply ie. battery with sufficient energy density to compete with liquid fuels.

SOLAR
There are more options in the solar category than just mere photovoltaic cells however, one major problem with most forms of solar energy is storage. Battery technology is the key along with better usage of biofuels. Biofuels are not limited to extracted oils and fermentation products there is an almost forgotten tech called gassification that is quite capable converting woodchips, sticks & yard waste into usable fuel on the fly.
>pic related

>inevitably run out of oil
No

We do not have the resources to switch off fossil fuels. We are far too dependent. Making batteries is highly energy intensive. Without fusion we are in serious trouble after 50yrs

it's like pneumatic energy, but with liquids instead of air

Electric engines are superior to both diesel and gasoline.

Problem is batteries/capacitors don't have the required density.

Lithium Sulfur will be able to get it to 500 Wh/kg. (2000+ Wh/kg theoretical)
Petrol has a little less than 13000 Wh/kg.
Though electric cars are around 3 times as efficient. (And lighter)

Even considering the efficiency difference petrol is more than 8 times as dense.
But if LiS can get very close to its theoretical capacity then petrol is done for.

Practical Lithium air would fix everything.

With buses/public transport we just need super capacitors with the energy density of Li-ion batteries and recharge every so many stops.