Where do I find the motivation to study for my computer science and math exams?

Where do I find the motivation to study for my computer science and math exams?
My iq is 140 but procrastination fucked me so hard that I almost quit my degree program.

Please help

do you want to be like this guy?

With an IQ of 140 you can solve this problem yourself. Why else are we at the top of the foodchain

I used to have extreme procrastination problems. Nothing will help unless you yourself change your own beliefs relating to putting hours into studying. Basically you have to change your entire mental paradigm which has formed around the issue if you want to quit procrastinating.

Anyways it's not about motivation, it's about the way you perceive studying.

>change your own beliefs relating to putting hours into studying
> the way you perceive studying.

please elaborate

Make your life shit enough for you to study like it's the only relief in your life.

Hire someone to physically attack you whenever you're not studying. This is known as reinforcement learning and is very effective on animals such as humans.

Our beliefs shape our experience. If you believe studying will be a brutal grind, it actually will be for you. If you believe studying will be a comfy and enlightening experience that makes you more intelligent, it actually will be for you. If you believe it's okay to break your study schedule, you will break your study schedule. If you believe it's not okay to break your study schedule, you won't break your study schedule.

If you believe it's not okay to break your study schedule and that studying will be comfy and enlightening experience that makes you more intelligent, you will have a nice time in school.

Not those anons but the way I see it you have to be be eager to learn more about subject. You have stop regarding it as a chore and actually find something interesting in it. Start from there and then pick up the other parts too as you go.

You just can't constantly keep forcing yourself to "study". Yes, you often have to force yourself to START studying but after you started sooner or later it has to become all absorbing. Constantly forcing yourself to study for hours is counterproductive as your brain will start associating studying with something negative which will lead you to more procrastination. And more procrastination will in turn make the subject seem overwhelming and you'll lose the sense of "where to start" diminishing any chances of attempting to study again.

>Anyways it's not about motivation, it's about the way you perceive studying.

No you just have to do what you say you're going to do in all areas of life. You just say 'I'm going to study for 1 hour right now", open your book, and reject the thought that you should reflexively pull up a Veeky Forums/facebook/whatever tab every time it comes up until the frequency is much lower. You think deeply for an hour and make sure you understand everything, then you take a ten minute break and go make yourself a coffee. Then you sit down for your next hour, reject the reflex, and come to the realization that what you're doing is actually enjoyable. The next time a 10 minute break comes up, you use it to read a paper about an important recent advance in the area you're studying. By 3 or 4 one hour intervals in, the reflex to pop open a facebook tab doesn't even come up anymore, or if it does, it seems laughable and weak.

I tried that, it didn't work.
Instead of actually getting work done I somehow became so proficient at improvised self defense that the combat schools are trying to recruit me. Now I loose even more time writing rejection letters, waiting in line at the post office and getting countless new assailants trying to make a name for themselves by taking me out. I stopped paying, but now they just attack for honor or fame even when I am actully getting work done, very annoying.

>reject the thought that you should reflexively pull up a Veeky Forums/facebook/whatever tab every time it comes up

If people could do this they wouldn't be here.

By coming to the realization that it is actually enjoyable you are changing your perception nonetheless. Your method is just brute forcing it until that point, which does work so long as the procrastinator can actually take the step to study for an hour while they have an extremely negative perception of the activity they're about to partake in. While it is "just that easy" in theory a procrastinator will never actually get that close because the reason they procrastinate is the manifold mental barriers that pop up every time they think "I should do X" as well as a lack willpower, and getting through those barriers with nothing but JUST DOOO IT is only gonna work for someone with ACTUAL willpower

Good doubles but consider the following scenario:
>"I'm going to study for 1 hour right now"
>open book
>try to study hard
>an hour passes
>"alright let's see what we've done"
>figure you haven't made all that great of a progress.
>lose most of your motivation to continue at all
>desperately try studying for another our
>make even less progress
>lose motivation entirely
>"just fuck my shit up family"

just sit down and reject the impulse until it stops coming back. The key is rejecting the impulse. It's similar to mindfulness mediation. Let the thoughts flow, just don't pay attention to them.

op here

those are helpful, thanks

>implying you're going to put any of it in practice
You're going to put it on hold and you'll come back a week later asking the exact same thing. Unless you actually do something about it this time. Oh wait, you won't.

If only your IQ was 160 then you wouldn't even have to study. How sad.

The trick is to not lose motivation, remove all feelings from the equation except the pure joy you get from doing mathematics/whatever you're studying

Yes, having 160 IQ means you were born with entirety corpus of humanity's mathematical knowledge

Of course 160 IQ people have to study, they just absorb information at an increased rate

Please only speak on matters you have knowledge about.

Given a problem, and then asked to procrastinate intentionally by playing video games, students were more likely to come up with a novel solution versus students who didn't procrastinate. Also, procrastinating wasn't useful unless the problem was given first.

Since at least voluntary procrastination is valuable, maybe involuntary procrastination is also generally valuable, and maybe a mechanism that triggers it under certain conditions was selected for. It seems like basic instincts would be a good place to start if you want to rule out causes. Figure out how to satisfy thirst, hunger, warmth, sex, etc., as efficiently as possible. An imperative for searching for novel contexts is also likely. It would explain why people play video games.

They don't tho. If you have 160 iq you are smarter than every single person who has written a math book. You can create your own formulas, it's nothing like you think it is.

It's a godlike power.

Speak for yourself. I've read a Quora reply written by a woman with an IQ of 180.

You're missing some irony here, user

Honestly this.
Between quitting facebook and soda, I was able to save my GPA. Never going back. You think it isnt a problem, but complacency will put you in the ground OP. Dont lose your ambition; it's what separates you from the trailer trash trick turning sodomites.
Or something like that.

Also dont play "infinite progression" games. Theyre a bitter timesink that feeds off of the himan brain's desire for closure. This includes MMORPGs and (im guilty of this one) random matchmade ranked systems like League and Overwatch. They're fun, but nefarious.

Lastly, drugs and alcohol are basically bad mkay, but they can be used as tools if you know what youre doing. Uppers to study, pot to unwind after exams are over, etc. Just don't fuck around with painkillers or coke, and never be arrogant enough to think youre exempt from succumbing. This shit is bigger than you.

You saved your GPA by giving up soda? I saved mine by ramming my caffeine tolerance through the roof. How could coming off possibly help you?

If you don't love doing math for its own sake then you;re not going to manage a career in it. Find a subject you actually love doing, motivation will then be easy.

See reddit.com/u/tigger_warning.

Confirmed 190 IQ. He's extremely smart (triple major in 3 non-meme STEM subjects), but still not what you make it out to be. Or maybe he is what you make it out to be.

>don't play "infinite progression" games
>do mathematics instead
user, I...

install gentoo