What is the point of reading? i'm serious, how does it benefit your life

what is the point of reading? i'm serious, how does it benefit your life

makes you wicked smaht

The same way that sandwich does: it's delicious.

to be better than normies

make your dick hard

MUH SPOOKS

Are you a middle aged woman? There is no 'benefit' whatsoever to your narcissistic piece of shit life.

It's actually benefited me in ways I never imagine it could have. Just across the aisle, really.

>benefit your life

Nice meme

huh?

“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten;
even so, they have made me.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

That's all they do, going through those clickbait pseudo scientific articles 'how sex or music improve your health and your self-esteem', bla bla bla, fucking pathetic, albeit they are not the only ones guilty of this.

learning how to read will benefit your life. reading won't in a direct sense, unless you're reading an instruction manual or something along those lines. depending on the quality of the book reading can be very pleasurable and interesting.

Get some goddamn taste, Al. You've got a plebeian library. That's what stopping you. You've gotta get your act together. I'll help you.

It makes you more articulate, even with your own thoughts. It can give you a sense of catharsis. As with any other form of art, you can admire the creator's work. It can help you to empathize with others.

Read something you enjoy that is decent.

How bad is it that I don't know the meening of three words in your post?

is english your first language?

Of course. I'm not some faggot forener

Are they
>articulate
>catharsis
>empathize

>not remembering great meals

fucking pseud

Yeah. Never seen catharsis and rarely ever seen empithize or articulate so i never bothered to look them up. Haha.

If you start with the greeks you will have a deep understanding of catharsis.

>>"any more than the meals i have eaten"
>i.e. he remembers some books just like one remembers some meals

Same thing as any other artistic endeavour. Books can:
- bring people together (look around you)
- give us completely new points of view
- give us the thoughts of people which are far away from us in time a space
- broaden our scope
- enrich our language
The right book at the right time can change someone's life forever.

>how does it benefit your life
I hate this question. Go fucking major in STEM or some shit with all the other blind utilitarian retards

Reading is a way of practicing interpretation of culture. When viewed critically it helps us see veins in human thought, i.e. I can see marxist realities presented through authors who never really intended to, and through that I can build a valuation of cultural impressions.

Most schools of thought about reading literature value cultural themes as much as they do individual texts. Texts are a window into the thought of real humans, even if they also stand as art.

This is shit.

It means you can tell your mom that you don't spend all your time watching "those pedophile cartoons", you also explore the best literature mankind has to offer

If you must ask, if you need to justify it with some utilitarian benefit, if the "value" of the humanities is not immediately obvious to you, then don't bother. Serious response for a "serious" question.

This. I'm so sick of these threads.

>If you're christian or in any spiritual journey in search for the truth and absolute harmony:
To find a faith and reason, to understand your faith better, to strengthen your faith, and to give hope to those who are weak in faith. Also, art makes your soul receptive to good so you can love God and others better.

>if you're an egoist who rejects spirituality (atheist, existensialist, materialist, nihilist, esotericist, etc):
Mental masturbation and entertainment.

>It makes you more articulate, even with your own thoughts.
This

hello Veeky Forums
i don't read but this board has interested me and i thought this would be a better place than any to ask

when you enjoy a book and make a connection with the characters, when you finish the book how do you feel?

it's fun

>articulate
My condolences you poor soul. Do you really not know what articulation is?

Usually, I'm glad I can just jump on an other book by the same author.

I was talking to someone from the middle ages and they told me that reading and magic are the same thing.

Every old person I know who wasn't an avid/constant reader has been kind of deranged once they went past 65.

It's an easy and profound way to aquire knowledge.

Reading nonfiction is understandable, don't see the point of fiction though

>Reading comprehension level = grill

Reading is what keeps us on the same page.

>aquire knowledge

esoteric.

finding out shit and keeping your brain busy with said shit

how's that ?

Thank you for using the knowledge you acquired from me.

Literally no benefit.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

You step up your game with the ladies, and thus, you are able to get more pussy than a toilet seat.

Reading will force you to realise how much less your previous self knew before you picked up reading. Reading enables you to become self-aware which in turn enables you to register your inner emotional processes and other mental events. You now can understand yourself in relation to other things, whether external or internal. You begin to feel confident in speculating, rationally, about yourself, the world outside you, and the relationship between the two. Your judgements are no longer crass but begin to show some or many signs of structure, metaphorical and analogical insight, and causal thinking. Without reading, none of this can happen: none of this is possible in a culturally void environment. Ideas of sorts must first go through your ears and to your cranium before you can entertain them, which is a purely physical process. And if your environment and the quality of books that you are reading is culturally impoverished then your opinions, beliefs and every publicly or privately articulated thought will be a direct reflection of the literature you consume. You will never be able to appreciate what it means to understand General Relativity and its mathematical apparatus or the ideas found in The Brothers Karamazov. Only after a long-term investment does reading change you because understanding, as a phenomenon, is difficult to attain--it is a painstakingly slow process and one must suffer the intermediate state between ignorance and clarity that is confusion.

Readers get on a metaphysical plane with other readers. Then we come here and pseud-out.

this is why you should read, so you don't look like an idiot

He read your post and looked like an idiot.

I guess that's your fault.

TL;DR

yeh git a lod smahteh

>spends half the post jerking himself off
>The other half accusing others of being masturbatory
kek

non argument.
how is pursuing greater knowledge or a broader perspective esoteric?

something to do on the train ride home innit

I think reading for extended periods of time improves concentration. We're living in a time when you can sort of jump from one thing to the next thanks to the Internet. Sitting down and reading for an hour straight through is becoming a lost skill. Does this help you? perhaps... I think it certainly helps me. I can focus on other things pretty well. Like writing. I can sit down and write for hours. I can study and retain information much better than before I started reading a lot.

it has enriched every aspect of my life. every feeling, experience, thought, etc. echoes with literature and poetry

bill pls go

there doesn't have to be a lofty reason, it could be as simple as reading to avoid more destructive vices

I enjoy it and it provides me with information I'm interested in.

Would i.e. really work here? Especially given your specific example?

Great post, user.

It's helped improve my conversation skills. Some self help books have gone a long way towards helping me reduce anxiety. A few books that hit right in the feelerinos helped me to let go of emotional baggage that I've been dragging around for a very long time.

Are you entitled to an argument?