I'm going to NYC in a few weeks for vacation and am looking forward to the food selection. I would like to try:

I'm going to NYC in a few weeks for vacation and am looking forward to the food selection. I would like to try:

Indian
Italian-American
Italian
Mexican
Chinese
Japanese
Peruvian

and anything else you recommend!

I'm a 25 year old single male. Would like some nightlife recommendations as well.

Btw, my airbnb is on 137th st near 3rd Ave, is this a good neighborhood?

Other urls found in this thread:

flordemayo.com/
ny.eater.com/maps/sietsemas-favorite-east-village-mexican-restaurants
ny.eater.com/maps/nyc-best-chinese-restaurants-noodles-dumplings-chinatown-midtown
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, it's East Harlem. Aside from being a shithole and a hood, there's a funeral parlor every other block. It's creepy up there.

You're gonna get murdered dude. Eat like a king while you're there, because you don't know which one of those meals will be your last...

You should add Peruvian-Chinese food to that list: flordemayo.com/

Why the fuck does no cunt ever want to try out British food?

Fuckin' colonial slags.

No, it's Mott Haven

Can it really be that shitty with the rents I'm seeing on zillow?
I'll get murdered? I've been to places with way worse crime rates and nothing bad happened.

I would try out British food if someone gives me a place. I'll be there for 2 weeks so I'll have plenty of time to try out different stuff.

Gonna recommend Wo Hop in Chinatown for Chinese. Its usually packed at night, especially on weekends, but there is a lot of quick turnover. Cheap and good, and its got lots of pictures covering the walls. My family has been going there since the 70's

British """food"""

>137th st near 3rd Ave
>good neighborhood?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

be mindful of what colors you wear outside, pal

>the Bronx

Pay them no mind. Manhattan is safe as milk these days, and so is most of Brooklyn.
Wo Hop is far from the best restaurant in Chinatown, but it is a classic that has a devoted fanbase. It's kind of like the middle ground between Cantonese food and Chinese American food, depending on what you order. Well worth doing for the NYC old school Chinatown experience.

I'd also add:

Xi'an Famous Foods - Mini empire run by a father and son, making spicy, cumin scented noodle dishes of western China. Cheap, and you've probably never tasted anything quite like this.

Babu Ji - Upscale Indian is hot right now, and this place manages to be super trendy while still being good and not crazy expensive.

Mission Chinese - Sit at the bar, have a beer and a plate of the Ma La wings.

Empellon Al Pastor - Sit in the taqueria section, get some trendy tacos. If you go out to Brooklyn you can get just as good for 1/3 the price, but these are the ones everyone in Manhattan is talking about.

Sauce - Frank Prisinzano has a mini empire of Italian American restaurants in the East Village. This one is just south of that in the Lower East Side. If you want a taste of Italian American cooking that's hackneyed this is a good choice. His pizza joint Lil' Frankie's is a perfectly acceptable call if you're a fan of wood oven pizza.

Lombardi's - Want to taste generation one American pizza? The coal oven here is from 1905, and the pizza hasn't changed. Get someone to go with you, though, because they only sell by the pie.

You can find many good ramen joints to scratch the itch for Japanese. Sushi is more of a trick, as most good places are very expensive here.

>that's hackneyed
Meant to say NOT hackneyed.

you'll be fine, nig nogs keep to themselves, the worse that may happen is someone calls you out for looking like a trump supporter

that being said NYC's saving grace is it's food

you should also try some Dominican cuisine, you can easily find dominican places near washington heights, Casa del Mofongo, Empanadas Monumental, Malecon to name a few. There's a lot of others spread across the city but Dominican cuisine shouldn't be missed in NYC

here's the copypasta i put in every nyc thread that people are probably kind of sick of:

Shanghai cafe for soup dumplings (my favorite dish in NYC) (Chinatown/Little Italy)
Bassanova for Green Curry Ramen (would be my favorite dish in NYC but last time I went it wasn't as good so it's been dethroned). (Chinatown)
Breslin Lamb Burger (Flatiron)
Spotted Pig Burger (West Villiage)
Nom Wah Tea Parlor for Dim Sum (Chinatown)
Jing Fong for slightly more elaborate dim sum. (Chinatown)
Turntable Chicken for Korean Fried Chicken (K-town)
Shake shack, obviously (the maneuver here is single smokeshack) (Multiple locations)
Roberta's for Pizza (Bushwick)
Momofuku Ssam bar (East Villiage) > Nishi (Chelsea) > Ma Peche (Midtown) > Noodle Bar (east Villiage) but all are pretty decent.
Burger Joint at the Le Parker Meridian Hotel (Midtown)
Ivan Ramen Slurp shop Vegetable Ramen (

More Uptown spots:
Jin Ramen: (Upper West Side/Harlem)
Saguiette: Amazing Pho, worth the trip uptown (Harlem)
Malecon for dominican (Upper West Side/Washington heights)
Jacob's Pickles (Fried Chicken) Upper West Side
Pandering Pig (Washington Heights- french Californian)
Pistichi--Italian (Harlem)
Bono Trattoria (pizza + pasta) (Hamilton Heights)
Handpull noodle (chinese) (Hamilton Heights)

I heard RaiRaiKen is pretty good but i've never been.

Slightly More $$ but worth it:
L'artusi (might have to make a late reservation but it's very much worth it) (West Villiage)
Upland (California/Italian food) (Flatiron)
Beatrice inn: go here instead of a steakhouse. The vegetable dishes are surprisingly good. (West Villiage)
Sushi Yasaka for affortable omakase. (Upper West Side)
Mission Chinese (hit or miss IMO) (LES)
Boloud Sud and Bar boloud (Lincoln Center) (Frech medeterranian and french bistro)
The Dutch (Soho) (New american. great fried chicken)

Places I plan to go but haven't been yet.
Bar Primi (Soho- pasta)
Locanda Verde (TriBeca)
Roberto's (The Bronx)
Via Carota (West Villiage)
Gaia Italian Cafe (LES)
Izakaya Mew (Hearald Square)
Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle(Chinese)
Alidoro -Sandiwches (Midtown East)
Cafe China- Midtown East
Hop Kee- Chinatown
Minetta Tavern- Black Label Burger

>Dominican cuisine shouldn't be missed in NYC
This is true. For some reason the old guard Dominican places rarely say they're Dominican. The signage often reads "Spanish and American Food".

new york as a city is safe because the crime is concentrated to key areas, there are still 10s of thousands of robberies and assaults every year and hundreds of murders. But instead of sprawling all over the city, it's all super concentrated into an area of 30 blocks

The one thing you're missing from your list that NYC does better than basically anywhere is Jewish deli food. Hit up Russ & Daughter for the classic bagel sandwich, Katz's or David's Brisket for pastrami, Shelsky's in Brooklyn for smoked fish. Barney Greengrass is also great

Also what's your nightlife preferences? Do you want a weirdo hipster warehouse party? Do you want a EDM club scene? You want a slightly more upscale club type place? Craft cocktails? Dive Bars? Korean Karaoke bars?

In that same old school vein:
Papaya King - two hot dogs, one with kraut and mustard, one with Greek onions
Mamoun's Falafel - Falafel sandwich, hot sauce on the side (pain inducing hot sauce)
Any Ukrainian joint in the EV
Joe Junior - Cheeseburger deluxe "sin plancha"

Man if I was NYC the first thing I would do is go to one of those shadow hotdog stands like in Crocodile Dundee.

Nobody gives a shit what colors you wear there, stupid Long Islander

The only Trump supporters in NYC are Guidos and Hassidic Jews, who will not be found in the South Bronx anyway

Thanks!

Any recommendations for more traditional Mexican?

And Cantonese/Fukianese food?
Dive bars and bars that have dancefloors but aren't clubs are my preference

Nice list, thank you!

This. South Bronx is just Dominicans, PRs, and blacks. Perfectly safe and nice area.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, I do wanna check out Russ & Daughters!

And Mexicans

>Any recommendations for more traditional Mexican?
Choose your style and price point from the list below:
ny.eater.com/maps/sietsemas-favorite-east-village-mexican-restaurants
>And Cantonese/Fukianese food?
ny.eater.com/maps/nyc-best-chinese-restaurants-noodles-dumplings-chinatown-midtown

Those lists are from Robert Sietsema. Dude was the head food critic for the Voice for years. Now he's at Eater. My experience has been you can pretty much trust anything he says. (Pic related)

>Indian
>Italian-American
>Italian
>Mexican
>Chinese
>Japanese
>Peruvian
try some White food you self-hating cuck

>White food
wtf is that supposed to be? Fucking Wonder bread and mayo?

>hue hue le White people have le boring food
ebin meme

Italians are white. Even white supremacists consider Italians white.

>Italians
>White
good one.

Stay out of NYC with that attitude! You wouldn't last a day.

>Watch out Italians will kill you for calling them something.
See? They even act like niggers.

you're being retarded, even the most hardcore white supremacists consider Italians white

bump

I live in Manhattan and voted for Trump.

I meant for the most part. Of course there are some exceptions.

You have no idea how many minorities live on Long Island, retard. Their just as dangerous here as they are in that shithole

>Living on Long Island. Worst of all possible worlds. kys

t. inbred upstater

I'd say kill yourself but being upstate pretty much means you're already dead inside

as far as indian goes, i'm really partial to panna II in the east village and tamarind tribeca.

shanghai cafe or joe's shanghai for soup dumplings (i prefer joe's).

your location is fine, but a bit of a pain in the ass to navigate to/from. you're close to the 4/5/6 lines so it shouldn't be too bad.

if you like dive bars then check out 169 Bar, its in chinatown. easily my favorite dive bar, you can get a cheap beer and a shot for $3 during happy hour, you really wont find a cheaper deal. they play mostly 60s-70s music and have a projector playing cheesy 60s sci fi flicks.

The have to. without the mediterranean races white history is basially niggers in africa tier until 400 years ago

A Salt & Battery does a really good fish n chips

Seconding 169 Bar, it's great. Botanica and Shark Bar in Nolita are pretty good before 7pm or so weekdays, but they can get pretty crowded. RPM on the Lower East Side is low-key.

You sound like a clueless redneck

If you even do live in NYC, you definitely live in that trailer park next to the Goethals Bridge

That's cool, what's the crowd like?

And is there a wait to get in on weekend nights?

All good suggestions, Seconding 169 and Botanica. Johnny's Bar in the west village is my favorite dive bar. Library Bar is also a good dive and around a lot of good food.

Do people still go to Home Sweet Home? (I'm out of my trashy LES dancing phase). Also Union Pool in Williamsburg (haven't been there in years tho). Bossa Nova civic club was pretty cool when i went, but that's pretty out of the way from your Air BnB

New York City is like a library containing all the world greatest truths in books. But the books of truth are hidden among books of lies, and theres no card catalogue. So its basically useless.

>TL;dr - some amazing food, but lots of shit food, its all fucking crazy expensive and theres no way to know for sure if it was worth it till your plate comes.

uh, and every single person that works in the financial industry.

do not eat street vendor food because its overpriced and tainted by brakedust

I want to get into my trashy LES dancing phase, but it seems like too much of a pain in the ass.

I tried to go to Pianos on a fucking Sunday and they weren't letting single guys in, I thought that was so fucking pretentious. It's not the Meatpacking District

Trump didn't even get 20% of the vote in Manhattan

Not all Wall Street guys are hardcore Republicans

Oh and I went to Union Pool on a Monday not too long ago, it was cool, I'm not sure how it is on weekends.

Pianos used to be kind of rock and roll, but it sure as fuck isn't today. Now it's like a fake clubby scene.

Basically. I went on a Tuesday night last summer and it was pretty fun, but I went on a Saturday (waited in a long ass line and couldn't even get into the lounge part) and tried to go on a Sunday and they wouldn't even let in single dudes despite it being a fucking Sunday.

Now they seem pretentious as fuck, not letting in guys at what's supposed to be an LES divey kind of place? Are they trying to be like one of those pretentious Meatpacking clubs?

I need to find a place that has a dance floor but isn't pretentious as fuck and not overly crowded.

>I need to find a place that has a dance floor but isn't pretentious as fuck and not overly crowded.

I had much better luck in BK. Union Hall has parties on Saturday night. It's out in South Slope tho. There's spots all around williamsburg for this kind of shit too. I haven't been there in years but like, The Woods, Union Pool, Bembe.

I know you hate meatpacking but honestly Cielo (same people that own Output, but smaller and less pretentious) is pretty great--good sound system, play old school House (deep space mondays >>>>>), the crowd is usually nice (if a little older and less crazy--not a big meat market vibe which I rather like, being 29 and going out with my fiance just to take some drugs and have a good night of dancing). Though fair warning, you usually have to buy tickets for the night in advance. Also my friends used to like The Park for dancing (warning, there's a strict dress code).

Sign up for Nonsense NYC and rinsed for emails about warehouse parties and shit, and /r/avesNYC on reddit.

Williamsburg seems

I would go somewhere in Meatpacking as long as it wasn't one of those stereotypical Meatpacking places

*Williamsburg seems pretty cool, many bars there and probably a better scene than Lower Manhattan these days

I'm kind of off the nightlife scene, but I thought the Meatpacking was over years ago. As for Pianos they always tried to appeal to a slightly more upscale crowd than the divey scene at Arlene's (which was relevant 17 years ago and I have no idea how they're still in business). The EV/LES really was more of a rock and roll scene two decades ago, but as rents went up it became more about fine dining. Now they do fine dining really well, but at the expense of nightlife.

>not wanting to eat all your meals at Trump Grill

>safe
>rent

I dunno user I live in a neighborhood that was full of crack houses 4 years ago, and most ppl in my building use section 8 vouchers. I pay over 1200/month for a little one bedroom. I mean, it's safe if you don't mess with anyone but sometimes junkies are in my hallway askin for a pair of socks.

You're probably not going to get killed, just try not to wear your trump 2016 hat around.

>using airbnb
Fucking cuck, plan your own trips by yourself like a big boy.

I have had fun dancing at Mehanata in the LES when I was young dumb and full of rhythm. It's gypsy music and they have hookah there and some sort of weird ice room and pole in the basement.

1200 rent is not low at all except for NYC standards. And the starting rents in the NYC hood tend to be a little higher now, like 1300 or 1400 dollars. Probably 1500 in East Harlem.

The ghetto neighborhoods in most of the US are nowhere near that expensive.

That place actually seems pretty cool.

There's still a lot of nightlife in the EV/LES, and the EV is great for chill little dives.

And as for Meatpacking, I believe it's still pretty popular for people who are into that kind of stuff.

EV/LES is my old neighborhood, so when I do go out that's where I'm headed. And while there are still a lot of cool divey joints it's overall gone posh as fuck, which is the reason I don't live there anymore.

Indian Accent for Indian if you don't mind spreading your wallet a bit.

For me, it's the Trumps Grill. The best New York cuisine experience.

No poorfags or ILLEGAL immigrants allowed

What about the illegal immigrants who cook the food?

That's not Trump's Grill

Do not talk about Botanica!! It's the best, rarely crowded, CHEAP drinks.

Fuck you and your dead mother in the ass.

Dry.

1200 is dirt fucking cheap, what are you talking about? Think of San Fran, Seattle, Santa Cruz, Oakland, Berkeley, hell the entire Bay Area, the entire Silicon Valley, much of the PNW, the list goes on and on and on and on and on.

1200 is not dirt cheap you retard, you listed literally the most expensive areas in the country along with NYC.

1200 is cheap if you make 80k a year, but the people living in the areas of NYC where the rents are that low tend to be pretty poor.

1200 is dirt cheap in Vancouver, Toronto, and many other cities.

>you listed literally the most expensive areas in the country along with NYC.
You mean the parts of the country that aren't backwards shit holes? Yeah. They're expensive because they're like 2% of the land mass and anyone with a brain wants to live there. Guess what happens? Ah nevermind it's complicated. Go watch some team franchise sports.

I'm not a flyover, you spoiled faggot.

I live right outside of NYC, everyone who lives here knows it's expensive. But even the ghetto is expensive considering how much the average residents make.

And there are plenty of non-flyover cities that are cheaper than NYC by a considerable margin. Philadelphia, Miami, New Orleans, etc.

>I live in NYC, I'm so cultured and educated I live in a polluted rathole and can't afford to visit museums, theater, or go to post-secondary school

hmmmmm makes sense

I would love to go to NYC and sniff some good multicultural buttholes

Except nobody wants to live in Philly, Miami, or New Orleans. Those are grimy awful places. They want to live in NYC, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Berkeley, or Sausalito.
>I dropped out of high school to smoke pot behind the gas station so everyone else did too

I'm a New Yorker and I love Philly, speak for yourself.

Are you really so retarded that you think everybody that doesn't live in NYC or the Bay Area is a conservative redneck?

I'm sure you can find a menu that has couscous topped with the semen of several black men anywhere if you look hard enough.

They aren't people magnets, and that's why they're cheap to live in. Nobody says "oh hey I'd sure love to live in Philly!". Maybe they get stuck there because of a job or something, but it's an accident. Which is why rents are cheaper there.

Why are you bringing politics into this? You fucking retard.

>I dropped out of high school to smoke pot behind the gas station so everyone else did too
While I did smoke a lot of weed from 17-25, I am a postdoctoral researcher with an HBSc., MSc., and PhD and close to 20 peer-reviewed publications.

No one is impressed if you live in a city. If that is a large component of your identity and self-worth, you obviously have limited experience and accomplishments.

Tons of people love Philly.

And I understand why NYC is so expensive, don't get me wrong. But stop acting like elitist douchebag with your "if you can't afford 2000 dollar rent, you're a flyover" attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised if your parents are paying for your apartment.

And because you're making political implications, dipshit.

>I have 20 garbage papers published in pay-to-play journals therefore I'm smart
I know enough people who went that route to know you just have to be stubborn, but, congrats I guess?
>But stop acting like elitist douchebag with your "if you can't afford 2000 dollar rent, you're a flyover" attitude.
Lots of projection here

I'm impressed you are even aware of peer review journal scams, then again it has been in pop science news quite a bit recently.

Well, your MSc+PhD kinda gave it away, people who don't suck in their field generally just have a bachelors and a doctorate

Jumping from MSc to PhD is a more recent phenomenon.

I'm glad I did a MSc, it gave me experience in a different lab under a different supervisor and more diverse research interests/opportunities.

Compared to recent grads who skipped the MSc route, I have a broader background and knowledge base. It's advantageous.

Yeah, in our world prices for everything reflect supply and demand. Try going to Mississippi and seeing what kind of house you can get for 200,000 USD. No one wants to live here, but some are forced to due to circumstances. You can get 3 acres of property and a beautiful 2500 sqft.house for that price and wander 1/4 miles into the woods where you don't see another human, only animals. Are you certain you're living better? I seriously doubt it, and lest you think we're all mouthbreathing Trump supporters, think again. I value our natural resources. I'm shivering thinking of the destruction to come.

>Are you certain you're living better?
Yeah, actually I am. I've lived and traveled all over the US, I really had fun having rednecks yell "go back to china" at me, or "bin ladin" at my indian-looking friends or rednecks throwing glass bottles at me and turning around for a second pass just because I wanted to go out for a bike ride.

I'll take the expensive city, where "what gun should I buy so I don't die" doesn't cross my mind on a regular basis, thanks for your condescension though.

>I value our natural resources. I'm shivering thinking of the destruction to come.

what are you talking about? President Trump is making our country competitive with China by turning it into...China.

>Builds wall
>Protectionism
>Slash and burn industry

>Indian
Why do you want to eat literal curried poo masala?
>Italian-American
Oh wow $30 for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs
>Italian
Oh wow, $35 for """"" authentic""""" plain pasta with a dash of cheese and a crack of black pepper
>Mexican
More brown people food? What gives OP?
>Chinese
Enjoy your fetus fried in gutter oil
>Japanese
Why the fuck would you eat anything that is associated with those slant eyed bastards after what they did to this country?
>Peruvian
Yeah, OP confirmed non-white, no regular human being can possibly stomach this much shitskin food

I'd suggest you do it right and go to McDonalds, but I know you're just going to be a dumb coastie and eat unhygienic slop some foreigner drops off at your table.

totto ramen
cheburachnaya in queens for uzbek food

Yeah and you're probably a midwest transplant.