Is doing maths in colours really helpful...

Is doing maths in colours really helpful? A friend of mine insists on taking ntes in colours and arrows and all of that visual stuff. When i look at his notes i get really confused because it's all colourful and i don't understend very well. Is it helpful or it's just a waste of time and creates confusion. Pic kinda related, my friend is actually worse.

dear god do people actually spend this much time writing down such trivialities? and don't tell me it's a kid who did this because we all know it's 22yo jessica who's taking this "impossible math class" alongside her sociology BA

and to answer the question, no don't take notes in color. in fact, do not take notes at all. unless you're taking a phd math class (and even then…), everything you need to know has be written down in 20 different books. just go to the library.

Nah it's pure autism.

I take notes while reading books, it helps get the material in my mind quicker. Especially key definitions, idk why.

If that's what you enjoy, switching pens constantly while taking notes, then more power to you, but seems more like a distraction than anything else.

I always take notes from books that I read, my memory works better if I go through the subject conciousely and not by just reading. The more time I take working on a specific subject the better it stays. For some people it is enough to read though.

Kinda this OP, but let me make it useful.

You don't need to write down 6 examples in Cal 2 of how do take an integral.

You only really need to write down the methods that vary between them, and remember them.

Writing down everything your fucking professor says is for premed brainlets who have to regurgitate half of the literature of modern biology knowledge.

If you're a normal math/physics student then
is right, the only "notes" you need to take is to reinforce the ideas.

The path to greatness is getting a good sense of how to solve problems, and a good enough memory to remember which ones you've already solved. The bitch of it is the idea of being a brainlet is kinda thrown at you since you were in gradeschool. They teach you to learn for a test, instead of going to the fucking library or something else and learn it.

Some people start off with great intuition on how to figure shit out in a certain field, and then fuck it up when they try to move over.

Some people start off with a great memory and perspective on a bunch of everything, but fail to achieve depth.

Veeky Forums worships the first kind, but ultimately the best researchers learn that both are important, and master most of what learning is.

Is your friend a girl? That's how girls take notes.

It's a waste of time, pretty much.

Trying to make your notes extra neat beyond a minimum standard is usually your brain's way of trying to distract you from the important details. Having to uncap multiple coloured markers is that times infinity.

Personally, it's way too much work, but for a script it can be insanely useful to make derivations a little easier to see through. I thought it was bullshit until I saw some script in some PhD school that used this extensively. It was a dream to read really. Pic related is a kind of stupid example, it's not from that script, I just made it myself. I think the colors make identifying the structure of equations and seeing what happens much easier. I don't see this in use very often unfortunately, I always thought it's helpful.

I tried doing that for a couple weeks, and I think, if it did anything, that it forced me to just really consciously take notes instead of writing shit down.

There ended up being no point for me because I basically never end up studying from my notes.

I don't do it and I probably never will, but my friend says that it's so important to him to keep everything coloured and I am asking if it is really helpful. I see it as a waste of time

Are there any alternatives to pen and paper and tablets for maths notes?

I write chemical or mathematical equations in red ink, everything else in black.

Learn to write with your left hand, then you can keep your secondary pen open and ready for use. It also staves off Alzheimer's.

Anyone who gives you shit for writing down your notes is one of those "Smart but lazy" memers who get 4.0s for barely paying attention because of how low the bar is set. Once they start college they change their tune. If they don't they drop out of course.

Some people are more visually oriented. Others need to recite aloud in order to memorize, because they're more auditively oriented. Some have best results from graphs and charts, others need to verbalize and write stuff.

Genetic variability means that you're not forced to respond in the same way to the same stimuli as your friend. It can work for him even if it doesn't work for you or even if sperglord user says it's a waste of time.

>Some people are more visually oriented. Others need to recite aloud in order to memorize, because they're more auditively oriented. Some have best results from graphs and charts, others need to verbalize and write stuff.

Wasn't that just another psychology meme? I'm pretty sure it is. It sure sounds like it.

What sexually arouses more? Tits or ass?

Oh I'm sure they are equally arousing to all males no matter what. Right?

no i like ass a lot more than tits.

writing it down aids memorization especially when its in your own words

yeah, I find it useful for some things

What does that have to do with anything?

>do not take notes at all
that's very very very bad advice.
Seems to me like you (think you) are super smart because you understand everything that's been said, so you don't need to take notes (that's for the brainlets amirite?), it all makes sense (well duh), but when the moment comes to put it into practice you'll probably be unable to do anything because you've never actually put it into practice, you've just spent your time jerking off intellectualizing and thinking you knew it because you heard it.

On the topic of the thread, colour notes sounds awful, and very distracting as well

Dumbest response ive read today

>t. brainlet

How are you parsing and understanding and following along in class if you have the time to color code your notes in class?
This seems like a waste of time. I can understand throwing all you got at your notes early on, but that should dry up by the second week of class once your fundamental understanding is in place.

I have a friend (we're in grad school) who insists on taking perfect notes of everything, underlining in colour, etc. He's very meticulous, very slow, but it works for him so I say why the hell not.
Now of course even he doesn't switch colours while writing (that seems like a big waste of time, just underline or box something if you want to show it's important) but sometimes if you draw pictures, it can be a good visual aid.

I've also seen a number of professors take notes with several different pens in seminars

>have extreme synesthesia
>math is naturally in different colors