Muh laws of physics

>muh laws of physics

How do scientists know that the laws of physics are not different in certain parts of the universe? Like places where the memedrive and FTL travel is possible?

You don't know that for sure, but there is literally 0 reasons to assume the contrary, and several reasons to assume it is consistent, in particular because most long range observations have been consistent with at least relativity.

That and we sent a monkey into space to do Newtonian physics experiments and the monkey confirmed that elastic bands still work in space.

>explore only a few million km of space
>"hurrr the laws of physics are the same in all directions of the 13.8 billion light years area of the universe!"

They don't.

/thread

No one even said this, fuck off with your ultimate contrarian stupidity

Long range observations assume relativity.

We assume it's the same everywhere because it works the best. We don't know how physics could be different but still consistent.

The universe is isotropic and homogeneous. If something works (or not) somewhere, it will work (or not) anywhere.

>Universe

Observable universe of course

>ow do scientists know that the laws of physics are not different in certain parts of the universe?
Because that makes no sense at all user, laws of physics arent tangible things that can be altered like chemical laws or biological laws no the laws of physics are absolute like motion, gravity, the electromagnetic interaction and so on.

It's called uniformitarianism, it's the foundation to many sciences.

Just like how God is omniscient and omnipresent.

I suspect that the observable universe has a very small variance of dimension that just isnt yet detectable on that size scale and our measure of accuracy.

Can someone point me towards a good reason for believing in hard and true homogeneous nature?

I dont know much about physics but iirc

Having the same physical laws apply everywhere in space gives conservation of momentum

Same laws apply everywhere in times give conservation of energy

I guess you can assume physical laws apply across everywhere in time and space since those two quantities are conserved

My lecturer worked on modifying the general relativistic action by assuming a structure to the universe

science assumes the universe has a reasonable structure
so you assume functions describing the universe are continuous for instance
assuming a manifold has no singularities is reasonable

They don't, that's why they test it whenever they can. Most of those tests involve highly energetic processes that happen in some other galaxy far, far away (long, long ago), i.e. supernovae, black hole/neutron star mergers, blazars etc. So far nothing suspicious has been observed.

science isn't about "knowing"
it's about having models that work, no matter how hard we try to make them fail

We see the same structures independently of the direction we point the telescopes at. It's very plausible that the laws of physics are isotropic.

We will never know 100% sure.

As long as the models work it's fine.
Something is either wrong, or consistent with observations.

And if it's consistent then the models can be used.

We assume it's the "laws" are the same in other places.
Observations don't point to the opposite so for now it's consistent.

It's one of the only practical examples of the problem of induction that we have

If the rules were different everywhere then the universal constants we use in physics and chemistry wouldn't produce results consistent with the physical world.

Scientists take the speed of light as a constant, yet it's speed varies depending on the medium in which it's measured.
Don't believe everything.

the constant is speed of light in vacuum, you fuckhead